AUDEZE LCD XC
May 26, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #4,156 of 4,165
Ok. Very cool. And yeah I don’t have much issue with the stock rubber strap, but I know it could of course be improved upon. As for the pads? Yeah I’m with ya there. My XC I’ve had for 6 years and it still gets pretty good use and yet the pads are still minted. I’ve not once changed them. I don’t have to. I use maguire’s leather conditioner. It used on cars. Works wonderfully. Once in a while I put just a little bit on. The headphone itself is a bloody tank and looks as good as the day I bought it. No complaints, but again I could like yourself, improve the strap. 😏
I have been able to shorten my leather strap (2019 LCD-XCs) by drilling two new holes about 5mm above the existing holes. This allows a small gap between the strap and the steel spring band. Nice improvement in comfort. Lesson learned: don’t hang these heavy phones by the leather strap.

These are still my “reference” phones. :)

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #4,157 of 4,165
I have been able to shorten my leather strap (2019 LCD-XCs) by drilling two new holes about 5mm above the existing holes. This allows a small gap between the strap and the steel spring band. Nice improvement in comfort. Lesson learned: don’t hang these heavy phones by the leather strap.

These are still my “reference” phones. :)
That is a nice idea. Kind of acts as a tensioner. Good idea.
Also. I’m struggling on what closed back headphone can destroy my LCD XC and that is what needs to happen in order for me to buy another closed back headphone. The XC EQ’d is nuts. The technical performance and slam is really quite something and I would say it is reference level. I also find the treble to be extremely pleasant. I don’t EQ that tuning of the headphone. It is sublime.

May 26, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #4,158 of 4,165
That is a nice idea. Kind of acts as a tensioner. Good idea.
Also. I’m struggling on what closed back headphone can destroy my LCD XC and that is what needs to happen in order for me to buy another closed back headphone. The XC EQ’d is nuts. The technical performance and slam is really quite something and I would say it is reference level. I also find the treble to be extremely pleasant. I don’t EQ that tuning of the headphone. It is sublime.
Agreed, EQ’ed XC 2021 balanced sounds awesome. I have zero desire to change it.

Jun 4, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #4,159 of 4,165
I'm thinking about exchanging my LCD-XC at a dealer and replacing it with a Hifiman HE1000SE. But I somehow like the massive and heavy design of the LCD-XC, so I'm thinking about keeping it. And buying the HE1000SE as well - I'm not sure if that's a wise decision, since the HE1000SE is technically the better headphone.

Jun 4, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #4,160 of 4,165
I'm thinking about exchanging my LCD-XC at a dealer and replacing it with a Hifiman HE1000SE. But I somehow like the massive and heavy design of the LCD-XC, so I'm thinking about keeping it. And buying the HE1000SE as well - I'm not sure if that's a wise decision, since the HE1000SE is technically the better headphone.
Have you tried the other can yet?

Jun 5, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #4,161 of 4,165
Have you tried the other can yet?
I even had the HE1000se for a year and a half and sold it three and a half years ago. The HE1000se has more resolution, sounds bigger and more open and weighs less, but the LCD-XC is much better and more solidly built.

Jun 5, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #4,162 of 4,165
I even had the HE1000se for a year and a half and sold it three and a half years ago. The HE1000se has more resolution, sounds bigger and more open and weighs less, but the LCD-XC is much better and more solidly built.
Yeah, that true. The build quality it amazing. What do you value more? The quality of sound the can produces? Or the quality of the build?

I have never tried those cans (but I know of Hifimans rep), but looking on seems to say they are slightly better in terms of quality of the other lines of cans they produce. I didn't see anything about the drivers dying constantly as I do in their other headphones, so that must mean something(?).

No matter your choice, you still have a great can.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #4,163 of 4,165
Yeah, that true. The build quality it amazing. What do you value more? The quality of sound the can produces? Or the quality of the build?

I have never tried those cans (but I know of Hifimans rep), but looking on seems to say they are slightly better in terms of quality of the other lines of cans they produce. I didn't see anything about the drivers dying constantly as I do in their other headphones, so that must mean something(?).

No matter your choice, you still have a great can.
I bought my LCD-XC at the end of 2020 and shortly after the improved and lighter 2021 came out. I sent my LCD-XC to the dealer and am now waiting for my HE1000se.

Jun 6, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #4,164 of 4,165
Cool, enjoy your HE1000se!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back