Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
May 15, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #4,021 of 4,084
I found another major weakness of the SP3000. :slight_frown:
It is not possible to set the volume limit. It does have that feature, but it's broken and only a volume alert is displayed.
Today I messed with the wheel in my pocket, the display turned on and I managed to increase the volume unintentionally and unpleasantly. :imp:
The cheap Shanling M6 Pro had this feature and the five times more expensive DAP doesn't? :astonished:
This is a DAP for home use and not for travel. :thinking:
I am considering returning it to the store.
Excellent workmanship and sound, but the software is not complete even in basic functions.

May 15, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #4,022 of 4,084
It is not possible to set the volume limit. It does have that feature, but it's broken and only a volume alert is displayed.
Today I messed with the wheel in my pocket, the display turned on and I managed to increase the volume unintentionally and unpleasantly. :imp:
The cheap Shanling M6 Pro had this feature and the five times more expensive DAP doesn't? :astonished:
Excellent workmanship and sound, but the software is not complete even in basic functions.
I was commuting today a lot and yes I know about these characteristics of this player. I said characteristics intentionally, because I don't think about them like faults. I knew before buying it won't be 100%. If you want something where software will be ok, buy hiby r8 II. But I think sound won't be that good.

May 15, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #4,023 of 4,084
The guy who designs or edits the SW of DAPs environment in Astell&Kern company is certainly not a fan of portable audio, specifically of DAPs. :relaxed:
It feels like when I bought a cell phone a long time ago with a great SW player, but only 30 Mb of memory and no possibility to insert a memory card. :smiley:

I think I don't want that much from SP3000 after all.
I just don't want to damage my hearing by careless handling and I would like to know what song is currently playing (without having to switch to another display).

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #4,024 of 4,084
Does anybody know what the screen type is on the SP3000, is it Sapphire Crystal, Gorilla Glass or just regular glass?
I tried looking for the info but could not find anything.

May 16, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #4,025 of 4,084
I tried looking for the info but could not find anything.
Yes me too. I think if it was either Sapphire Crystal or Gorilla Glass A&K would market it as such, I suspect its plain glass, for the price I would expect Gorilla Glass at a bare minimum.

May 16, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #4,026 of 4,084
I used my SP3000 for a year and a half, always with me, in my pants pocket, with zero problems. To avoid activating the volume wheel, simply activate the ' wheel lock' function. It's not difficult . And reading the manual is useful . Instead it is not possible to deactivate the side buttons

May 16, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #4,027 of 4,084
Yes me too. I think if it was either Sapphire Crystal or Gorilla Glass A&K would market it as such, I suspect its plain glass, for the price I would expect Gorilla Glass at a bare minimum.
Might be and I definitely agree with you. However, I just slap on a screen protector and all good. Still in love with my Copper edition and enjoying it!

May 16, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #4,028 of 4,084
I can chime in one the glass material topic,

Once I dropped my sp3k from the passenger seat right onto the concrete floor, the device was inside a very thin soft linen pouch bag.
No dent, only a minor scratch on the side body with no damage to the screen itself.
Regardless of the material I think the build quality is pretty solid.

May 16, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #4,029 of 4,084
I can chime in one the glass material topic,

Once I dropped my sp3k from the passenger seat right onto the concrete floor, the device was inside a very thin soft linen pouch bag.
No dent, only a minor scratch on the side body with no damage to the screen itself.
Regardless of the material I think the build quality is pretty solid.
Ooofff! Glad to hear nothing more serious happened!

May 16, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #4,030 of 4,084
Completely agree on the build quality - solid. The reason I asked is that I'm in Vancouver and im struggling to find a screen protector without having to import it! So thought I could chance it without if the screen was some sort of scratch resistant material.

Looks like I'll bite the bullet and pay for the protector just to be safe.

May 16, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #4,031 of 4,084
May 16, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #4,032 of 4,084
May 16, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #4,033 of 4,084
I used my SP3000 for a year and a half, always with me, in my pants pocket, with zero problems. To avoid activating the volume wheel, simply activate the ' wheel lock' function. It's not difficult . And reading the manual is useful . Instead it is not possible to deactivate the side buttons
Of course, I have this function active but when I put the DAP in my pants and the wheel is pressed and turned again, there is no function that would prevent the volume from increasing.

"Volume Limit
Displays a warning when the volume reaches a certain
level and sets related options"

This is all about the volume limit from the original manual. :slight_frown:

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #4,035 of 4,084
How would you describe the sound of the SP3000? Truly reference?
Yes. Musical reference sound. :)
SP3000 and HiBy RS8 are the best DAPs I've heard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back