2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
May 31, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #1,501 of 1,508
Someone not registered to this forum but knowing who i am IRL (and apologies for not disclosing that but, privacy) saw my posts above and asked me how come this headphone needs ultra high end amplification to play right when it has a stellar 100 dB/mW sensitivity. Polite way of their asking me what am i smoking ^^

This monster of 420 Ωms needs a nominal 1000 mWs, as per Audio Technica's own spec sheet.
Meaning that in an ideal world where we listen as we should and not as we're forced to, this monster needs an amp capable of outing 2 Watts at 420 Ωms. Headroom is just as important. Twice what you need is a good start. So, again, ideally, this monster needs an amp capable of outing 2 Watts at 420 Ωms.
Read that again and start laughing. Yeah.

Most "uber", "TOTL", amps peddled here around? They out 170, 200, 300 mWs at best at 420 Ωms. 300 mWs, when you need 2,000.

So you do indeed need very, very expensive units to drive the ADX-5000.
Or worse and almost assuredly for most because not everyone can afford a 6-8K amp plus another 6-20K for lifetime tubes replacement? You need a solid state amplifier for speakers and then you need find -and pay- someone like me to out you a headphone exit.
Which is also not as simple as you may think. You can't just put a resistor before the speaker OUTs, draw from there and call it a day, because capacitance (this is what clueless folks do, not what is right). It creates a high/low pass filter, certain frequencies get eaten when you do that; it's a bit more elaborate work and work that requires a knowledgeable pro. The ones you get to pay; dearly.

But in short, if we could trust the old fart here, you do need a very, very high end unit to actually know what this headphone can sound like. Most do not.
And shall not :frowning2:

* cynicism is welcome with me, so in case someone's brain went there and no offense taken if it did; am not advertising, i am retired. I do not take work. This is an honest conversation, albeit with facts, not opinions.
Also, my apologies as always for the belated edits. I try to keep it in simple English while simultaneously pre-emptying typical (and reasonable) responses, takes time. Fossilitis!
I would add that, more than with most other phones I've owned, small 'improvements' seem audible. For example, I'm generally sceptical re cable swapping - but I think it's clear that moving from unbalanced to balanced cables can make a difference. Not because of any special cable architecture, but because it allows the amp to work differently (where it's truly a differential amp). All of that said, it's rare I think for this 'improvement' to produce an audible effect. In the case of the ADX5000 I'm in no doubt that moving to balanced cables with the Moon 430HA was beneficial. It's particularly interesting I think because the Moon is unusual in providing unbalanced and balanced outputs that supply virtually the same voltage. I take this to mean that any improvement I'm hearing is also attributable to lower distortion arising from differential amp operation. This suggests strongly to me, as you say, that these phones do reward the use of amps that can deliver high power and clean signal.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,502 of 1,508
Has anyone heard anything more about Audio Technica's proposed successor to the ADX5000? I heard they were looking to release one headphone above the ADX5000 and one below it this year.
Audio Techinica likes to make limited runs, tho i cant remember any open back released as limited edition on top of my head. Will they make an over 2K USD open back that's consumer model? that'd be new for them.

Jun 2, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #1,503 of 1,508
Supposedly they were planing to release a cheaper version in Q4, not that much cheaper and still subject to change since the last I head was in april from a low level inside source. I guess we have that to look forward to.

@LostHisMarbles I donno about microphonic but the stock cable is way too warm and forgiving at lest for my tastes. Really holds it back from expressing lots of microtexture on the relatively cheap fiio K9 pro AKM.

Jun 2, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #1,504 of 1,508
Jun 4, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,505 of 1,508
afaik, they’re planning to launch one model above and one below the current 5000 model

I got the info from the AT rep at CanJam NYC (wrote about it in my show write up: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...-march-9-10-2024.971988/page-47#post-18093868)
I obviously won't be interested in the below model, since I don't want to downgrade.
I'd rather buy a used ADX5000 instead, in my country currently see a very nice used one for HUF 450000.

The above model I guess will be very pricey, and not that much better, but much more expensive.

So it will be interesting, but I doubt that I will buy.

Jun 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,506 of 1,508
Jun 4, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #1,507 of 1,508
If they specifically mentioned the ADX, I guess it will be an open back non limited models. Wonder what it'd be named tho, will they also be in ADX line?

Those would be regular new models but I don’t know more than that

Jun 12, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,508 of 1,508
Shoutout to Silvian at BeautifulAudio who was recommended elsewhere in this thread. They came through with padding for the ADX5000s and I couldn't be more pleased. No more sharp edges of these bands digging into my dome

Attachments

• DSC_0020.png
    DSC_0020.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20240612_122206[1].jpg
    P_20240612_122206[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back