ZVM...pretty good battery life for me
Mar 3, 2006 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ptaaty

100+ Head-Fier
Well I finally decided to use the ZVM in a more real-world scenario and let it run until it died.

Random play all tracks, 90% 320k LAME CBR MP3. 10% 192k. Smart volume on, custom eq with 4 bands adjusted (more for fun, usually no eq for me). By far most of the time spent with lock on...so screen was off. Occasional deletion of tracks I didn't want, skipping some tracks (maybe 20 or so?). Shure E4 IEMs with volume at 8 of 25 (EQ and smart volume cut output a little)

Yesterday... 730 am to 445 pm with one time of being off for 15 min (above scenario). Another 15 minutes of video in the evening.

Today, 830am to 1pm all audio, 5-7 times screen on, delete tracks, skip a couple. Now dead.

So that was 13.5 hours or so of audio with 15 min of video largely at the max supported bitrate on full random, while using the user EQ and smart volume.

That's more than decent in my book
smily_headphones1.gif
Obviously lower bitrates, less random EQ, etc increases the life. Using the screen, navigating more, higher volume, DRM decreases the life.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 26
I can provide some input on battery life during video playback as I've been doing a lot of that lately. So far it seems pretty close to the 4 hour spec. as each hour of video playback (with a couple hours of audio playback mixed in) seems to deincrement the battery gauge by 25% and I believe I'm getting at least four hours of video PB per charge if not somewhat more. This is with the average screen brightness at 70% but I've run it at everywhere from 30% to 100% and the brightness level doesn't seem to have a big impact on battery life one way or the other.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 26
If anyone else has experience with different scenarios feel free to add them.

I know Bangraman had atrocious battery life when using DRM WMA tracks with the screen on. They just released a firmware update that was supposed to address some DRM issues, hopefully this will improve the situation.

For myself, real world or different real situations with users on a daily basis can be more valuable than a companies spec, or even the run "128k tracks until dead" bench tests.

I remember my Rio Karma would have had a much shorter life with the added EQ processing and high bit rates on random, in spite of the higher spec'd life.

I know prior to use the 14 hour mp3 audio spec scared me, as the way I use a DAP, typically kills the battery life. Thankfully the ZVM did better than expected for me.

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 26
I did the firmware upgrade before I left. Unfortunately I've left the dongle behind. I had fun feeling my arm slowly cramp up as I held the ZV:M in the only fully viewable position on the plane, so got fed up after half an hour of video... after which I switched to the amped iPod. At this point after that half hour of video the ZV:M is still showing a full battery. I'm by myself tomorrow so I plan to just slap it on random play of my Napster To Go leechings and see how long it lasts.

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 26
All I know, I was able to watch a movie (1hr 45mins long) An episode of family guy (20mins) listen to a few hours of music on my way down to San Diego. I still had a bar left when I got there, very happy.

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I had fun feeling my arm slowly cramp up as I held the ZV:M in the only fully viewable position on the plane, so got fed up after half an hour of video... after which I switched to the amped iPod.

Oh please...
rolleyes.gif

Do you follow all ZVM threads looking for some way to inject a negative comment, even if it doesn't even follow the thread topic?

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Oh please...
rolleyes.gif

Do you follow all ZVM threads looking for some way to inject a negative comment, even if it doesn't even follow the thread topic?

There's a critic in every croud. They have to be there or the world would fall off of it's axis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
Shure E4 IEMs with volume at 8 of 25 (EQ and smart volume cut output a little)

Wow, I think the tone at that volume with my E4s is terrible. Usually I'm up anywhere from 15-18.

I use mine at work every day for about 5.5 hours with exclusively LAME A-P-E tracks. By the time I get home the meter has dropped by 2/5. I just set it on random play and slap it in my pocket. Usually, I don't set the lock button. I skip tracks every once in a while. Yesterday, after I got home I let it play until the battery indicator showed one red bar. So it lasted from about 10:30AM to about 7:30PM (9hrs). I don't know how much longer it would have played before it died.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 26
I usually have my volume around 18 too, so I probably won't get anywhere close to 14 hours, but....it's definitely better than ipod, so far.

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
There's a critic in every croud. They have to be there or the world would fall off of it's axis.

Seems like Im considered the Simon Cowel of the Zen world round here!

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Oh please...
rolleyes.gif

I was making a comment. As long as there are people to hype something in an unjustified manner, I'll butt in
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo

Wow, I think the tone at that volume with my E4s is terrible. Usually I'm up anywhere from 15-18.

I use mine at work every day for about 5.5 hours with exclusively LAME A-P-E tracks. By the time I get home the meter has dropped by 2/5. I just set it on random play and slap it in my pocket. Usually, I don't set the lock button. I skip tracks every once in a while. Yesterday, after I got home I let it play until the battery indicator showed one red bar. So it lasted from about 10:30AM to about 7:30PM (9hrs). I don't know how much longer it would have played before it died.

15-18 on e4?! HOLY CRAP! Check what firmware you have, or your seal...push those babies IN THERE.

Seriously I would be blown deaf with that volume, normally at maybe 6, but EQ and smart volume make it quieter.

9 hours without at screen lock (screen off) used like that is pretty good.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
15-18 on e4?! HOLY CRAP! Check what firmware you have, or your seal...push those babies IN THERE.

Seriously I would be blown deaf with that volume, normally at maybe 6, but EQ and smart volume make it quieter.

9 hours without at screen lock (screen off) used like that is pretty good.

Did you MP3gain your music? I have the US firmware, an I know about the EU firmware restrictions. I've been using IEMs for a long time, and yes, I know how to get a good seal. IEMs actually go deeper into my ears than most peoples because I have large canal openings. But, they neck down just perfect so that I can use almost any universal IEM tip. I could use all of the Sony tips, All of the UE tips, All of the Shure tips (except for the large flex and large ultra soft), the ety tri and bi-flange tips, and still get a perfect seal.
So basically when I choose a tip to use, it's just to fine tune the sound.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 26
I mostly use 23 volume with my Shure E2C's and no sign of deafness (yet). It is pretty loud though

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #15 of 26
I took some unscientific SPL measurements* (using the radio shack spl meter) of my er6is driven by my creative zen. At 5** out of 25 it was averaging 80dbs. I'd be careful listenind to IEMs as loud as some of you are, especially since they are highly efficient and will produce higher SPLs then other headphones at the same output.

*The foam tip fit into the microphone hole perfectly.

**(Edit) This was from memory, real measurements on the next age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back