ZV:M user questions
Mar 29, 2006 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Csi

Head-Fier
I just got my ZV:M thanks to many of the threads on here. I know I should take this to the creative forum but maybe you guys can save me time.

1. Is there a way where I can disable the LED screen while its playing its music to conserve battery power? Obviously I would want the ZV:M to continue to pump out music but just not have a screen on. As long as music playing it seems to always have an image on. So far the only real power saving tips that I can see is just to lower brightness, don't press the controls to switch between songs and don't watch videos.

2. Also when i'm charging the player is there a way to disable the screen? Right now i'm just sticking headphones via the A/V out dock but there must be another way? Maybe i'm just paranoid with the whole LED screen thing just don't like the idea of a static image flickering away which could [but probably not] burn an image into the screen[oh the unbacked screams my dad had with my disabling of screensavers] or just waste more power showing an image I do not care to see.

THanks for your help guys!

BTW the ZV:M is my first ever real DAP. Like what everybody else said the video quality is very nice but then again I haven't seen any other players to compare. Sound quality using Sennheiser 497's was decent. I haven't touched these "portable" cans in a while so the whole experience was pretty refreshing. Tight, and solid bass, very punchy with vivid mids but for me most of the compliments I had for the SQ were already part of the sound signature I was already associated with the 497's so that doesn't say too much about the ZV:M. The creative stock buds were thrown into the abyss of my closet [lack of any bass, super thin mids and shrieky highs but it was expected] Even after upgrading the firmware and altering the EQ the whole new toy experience wasn't as great as I hoped. It's probably because i'm so used to my home setup, so that listening to the ZV:M is like putting brown slush into my ears. Ah well its only been a day and the DAP will serve a purpose in carrying music around with me everywhere. I already know its only a matter of time before I start feeling my wallet call out to me. Add some Shure or Westone IEMs to go with some RS or Xin amp says the voices in my head.....welll %&$*%&. All I can do is just try and sit back and enjoy the ride
580smile.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 7
You have a couple of options to completely blank the screen. One is to use the lock switch, if this is activated the screen will blank while music is playing (but not if in pause mode so don't let that throw you.) The only problem with this is that the lock button also locks all of the controls on the unit so if you want to FF or adjust volume or whatever you must first unlock. Another option is to use the wired remote... if you lock the ZVM while the remote is plugged in the screen will blank as described above but all the controls on the remote will still work. I don't know if that was intentional on Creative's part but it's a very nice feature. If for some reason you do want to lock the remote you can always use the lock button on the remote itself.

That all said, I'm not sure how much the dimmed screen really affects battery life, and there is no need to worry about 'burn in' on the ZVM screen (or most any portable player for that matter) as it isn't possible due the construction of the display.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csi
I just got my ZV:M thanks to many of the threads on here. I know I should take this to the creative forum but maybe you guys can save me time.

1. Is there a way where I can disable the LED screen while its playing its music to conserve battery power? Obviously I would want the ZV:M to continue to pump out music but just not have a screen on. As long as music playing it seems to always have an image on. So far the only real power saving tips that I can see is just to lower brightness, don't press the controls to switch between songs and don't watch videos.

2. Also when i'm charging the player is there a way to disable the screen? Right now i'm just sticking headphones via the A/V out dock but there must be another way? Maybe i'm just paranoid with the whole LED screen thing just don't like the idea of a static image flickering away which could [but probably not] burn an image into the screen[oh the unbacked screams my dad had with my disabling of screensavers] or just waste more power showing an image I do not care to see.

THanks for your help guys!

Glad you made the right choice, it's a wonderful player.

1) Just set the on/off switch to the hold position, this will shut the screen off to save battery while continuing to play music.

2) Turn the player off and then insert the dock and AC adaptor. The screen should stay off but it should charge. If the player turns on, just turn it back off and it will continue to charge. Make sure the USB cable isn't plugged in otherwise it will goto the 'Docked' screen and you wont be able to turn the player off until you take the USB cable out.

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 7
THanks guys for the response....

Now for some more serious inquery. Anyway so I recently purchased a BSE to obviosuly protect my dap from scratches. Unfortunately as good as bse is, it could not protect my dap from myself. So I followed the instructions of BSE and put on the skin. I thought I got rid of all of the bubbles but about 12 hours later when I checked back on the ZV:m I noticed a one or two minor bubbles. Being a VERY STUPID perfectionist, seeing the air bubbles irritated me. So I preceded to take the skin off. NOW here is the very stupid part. Thinking you would just reverse the process of adding the skin would be the same way to remove it. So I made the solution and rewetted my fingers and slowly added water thorugh my fingers to the sides of the skin. Slowly adding water peeling back the skin. After peeling about half the skin off....i noticed water leaking INTO the screen. WHat this means is that it has the dark puddle look within the screen. Also there is also that steamed white bubble residue under the screen as well. I want to cry...as this could null my warranty and also prevent me from retuning the player [had it less than a week].

The question is, what are the effects of water on electronics? How does water effect it? Is the LCD screen permantly f'ed up? =( RIght now I am just going to pray and see how the player looks in the morning. Hopefully the water just evaportates and no damage occured.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 7
The best solution would be to keep the power turned off (lock), take it apart and blow dry it. However, since it doesn't look to easy to take apart, just try using the blow dryer through the docking cable port.

Leave the player in a dry, airid room for a few days. Hopefully the water will have evaporated in that time.

It should be ok after that.

The only big issue I see is that often since the battery is still plugged in, there is a chance of a short. However, if not, water rarely damages electronics if you make sure you have dried out the electronics completely before turning on.

Cheers,

LIP

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Update:

Thanks for your response. I didn't want to take it apart as I didn't want to risk breaking the warranty sticker thingy. It seemed complicated enough [based upon one of the alternative to ipod forums] to discourage me from trying. I am happy to report that the player had no permanent damage. It took about 4-5 days for all the water leakage into the LD screen to fully evaporate. I didn't want to to risk any long term damage so I quickly returned it to the store
icon10.gif
. I'll probably buy a new one soon and just be more careful when applying the BSE. Plus I get to save 30 or so bucks from not having to pay taxes when I buy another new one [online purchase].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back