Zune HD + Koss Porta Pro
Jun 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sandaz93

Head-Fier
Recently, I purchased a Zune HD 16gb. While I love the UI and build of the zune, the volume feels far too weak. Previously, I was using a iPod Classic 5th generation + Koss Porta Pros, which, while sounding a bit muddy at times, were always loud enough using maybe less than a quarter of the volume bar. The iPod was even able to power my Senn HD 598 quite well.

Unfortuantely, the Zune has trouble even powering my Porta Pros. I need to raise the volume up to nearly 13-15/30 to listen to music on the porta pros. Understandably, the HD598s require 20-23/30 of volume. The only reason I bought the zune was due to better sound quality of it.

I realize an portable amp might be the solution, but I was wondering what would be enough. Would the FiiO E3 work, or would I need something like the Fiio E11?

Thank you for the help.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but would the Sony A series walkman able to power porta pros well?

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Recently, I purchased a Zune HD 16gb. While I love the UI and build of the zune, the volume feels far too weak. Previously, I was using a iPod Classic 5th generation + Koss Porta Pros, which, while sounding a bit muddy at times, were always loud enough using maybe less than a quarter of the volume bar. The iPod was even able to power my Senn HD 598 quite well.

Unfortuantely, the Zune has trouble even powering my Porta Pros. I need to raise the volume up to nearly 13-15/30 to listen to music on the porta pros. Understandably, the HD598s require 20-23/30 of volume. The only reason I bought the zune was due to better sound quality of it.

I realize an portable amp might be the solution, but I was wondering what would be enough. Would the FiiO E3 work, or would I need something like the Fiio E11?

Thank you for the help.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but would the Sony A series walkman able to power porta pros well?

The E3 sucks. The E6 would work fine with the PortaPros, and the E11 would really make them sing. I'm unfamiliar with the 598's, but I'm sure the E11 would have enough juice for them, although I don't know if the E6 would.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
He can get his portapros to a listenable volume without having to Max his volume, an amp will not be an improvement.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Having previously owned a Zune HD, and PortaPros, and currently owning all the FiiO amps mentioned in my previous post, I disagree. I found the Zune HD to have a very clear but slightly weak sound.  

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Its seems that e6 is cheap enough for me to take a gamble on. Ill report the results soon.

I used the EQ2 setting of the E6 with the Zune HD when I had it. Gave it a little bass boost without ruining the great clarity of the player's sound. Just put the Zune volume at about 85% and control your volume with the amp's volume control.....a nice combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back