zune gripe: static crackle b/n tracks. is it just me?
Apr 24, 2007 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I hesitated to write this because the Zune truly rocks if managed properly (rip your own files, convert with 3rd party software, use the zune client for syncing only). But I do have a problem - my zune emits a staticy crackle noise when starting to play music, and a lesser crackle between each track. The real annoying one is when you first start playing something ... ironically it sounds like a bad needle drop on a turntable. But this is probably just MY zune, so I wanted to find out if others are hearing this. The noise between tracks may be "normal" for players that don't have gapless support, I don't know. But I don't think I should be hearing the more bigger noise everytime I start to play an album. It is worth mentioning that all my music plays FINE on my zune, but you invariably hear the little bit of static between songs, and the larger thump-crackle like needle drop when first starting to play something. I've tried alternate headphones of course and the noise was still there, and I've listened to the same files straight off my PC - theyre clean.

Is anyone else hearing this on their zune? I actually have a return/exchange box on the way for sending it back to M$ for a replacement. I feel rather petty and nitpicky, but I paid the bucks and I want clean playback, even the first couple seconds. ummm ... especially the first couple seconds.

Anyone?

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 38
My previous zune have similar crackle between tracks. This is a known issue and all you can do is be patient until Microsoft can address true gapless feature at which I expect this problem to be solved as well. Considering the superb SQ, this minor trade-off is bearable and rest assured that those Microsoft folks is hard at work improving zune day in day out.
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EFN,

your previous one had it, but does that mean your current one does not??

I used to have a zune but sold it off once I got my Red Wine Audio iMod, in fact I sold off all of my other DAPs and PCDP after I received my iMod - because I went into shopping frenzy for amps.......

zune was superb, but being an audiophile it wasn't enuff because I want lossless, LineOut and gapless support which my Rockboxed iMod offers.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 38
I see. yes, your iMod rig is pretty sweet, but something like that's beyond my reach right now. Have other obligations, and they are 14, 4, and 2 years old.
biggrin.gif
That's one reason I went for the Zune - decent sound on the cheap.

Anyway, any others experiencing this noise issue? This is the first I've heard of it as a 'known issue' but if my case is the exception rather than the norm, then I think I deserve to have it fixed.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 38
Mine does, only once in a while. It sometimes does it when I am searching through the music. Very rare though.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 38
It's interesting ... I've been experimenting a bit today to try to sort this out a bit, and I've tentatively figured out that the big crackle that happens when you start playing music is a double pop, once in the left channel and then louder in the right channel. It generally DOES NOT happen if I shut the Zune down completely (Back button + down on d-pad) and then reboot it and immediately start playing music. But if I turn the Zune "off" by holding the play/pause button 3secs, when I turn it back "on" it will almost definitely make this noise when the music starts. The Zune doesn't really turn off when you do that though, it's just a deep pause mode. I am testing now to see if the crackle is louder if the Zune sits idle in pause mode longer. It's like there's a static charge building up in the machine as long as its dormant but not actually shut down, and it discharges into the headphones as soon as music starts. Make sense?

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 38
^^Makes sense. So, is a capacitor thing or something ?
I always turn off my Zune. Battery life affected if I don't turn it off.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 38
mine has it, I assume its just activating the internal dac / amp that causes it.

also if you keep it paused for a long time you will hear it "shut down" and again when it "wakes up"

does not bother me :x

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 38
Yeah, what Zodduska said. That is what I think it is too.
Basically, it is the same sound you get when you plug/un-plug your headphones while the music is playing. Mine does this too, but again, I don't care to much. It's such a minute thing to me?!?

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 38
Those of you who have the crackle but say it doesn't bother you - I agree its not the worst problem ... but if you bought a home stereo that did this would you say the same?

Like I said in the original post I'm on the fence about this problem. Clearly it doesn't HAVE TO be there. It's pretty clear some have the crackle going on, and some don't. I'd really rather not be in the "haves" category since I paid for the same device as everyone else. On the other hand, for all intents and purposes, my Zune otherwise is functioning. I've got some time to keep using my Zune and think about it, so that's what I'll do.

and wgr, you said it happens very trarely on your Zune .. what if it was about 90% of the time?

Apr 24, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who have the crackle but say it doesn't bother you - I agree its not the worst problem ... but if you bought a home stereo that did this would you say the same?

Like I said in the original post I'm on the fence about this problem. Clearly it doesn't HAVE TO be there. It's pretty clear some have the crackle going on, and some don't. I'd really rather not be in the "haves" category since I paid for the same device as everyone else. On the other hand, for all intents and purposes, my Zune otherwise is functioning. I've got some time to keep using my Zune and think about it, so that's what I'll do.

and wgr, you said it happens very trarely on your Zune .. what if it was about 90% of the time?

I totally agree with you. You did pay for a device that should not have that kind of problem. By all means if it bothers you, and should not be there, get it fixed!

If it was 90%, I may return it. I actually didn't notice it that much until you posted this (thanks a lot!
wink.gif
) but, yeah if some have it, and some don't I would probably take my chance on getting another that doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back