Zune 120 or 6th Gen 120gb Ipod? Sound Qualitywise
Jan 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

meurglys0

100+ Head-Fier
I am now seriously considering buying either Ipod 120 gb (6th gen) or Zune 120. Any recommendations as other contenders that can match these two in means of sound quality and capacity are also welcome.

My first and foremost priorities are sound quality and gapless playback capability. I listen to progressive rock mostly and gapless playback is essential for this genre.

I don't care about video, games, marketplace, radio, wifi, interface etc. So here are my questions that I think will help me determine which one I should get; most of them are about Zune 120 as I know more about Ipod than Zune 120.

1. Does the gapless playback feature on Zune 120 work perfectly, or does it fail? There were some complaints regarding its not working well; have they fixed it?

2. I will be able to move all my mp3 files not downloaded from itunes or the zune marketplace into the Ipod or the zune, right? Or do these players only accept strore-bought/downloaded files?

3. Will I have to pay for any subscription to use these players? I do not intend to buy any files from these stores (I already have enough music on the hdd of my computer and my cd shelves), so will that be a problem?

4. Will I have to pay for a subscription to be able to download firmware / software updates from these players' respective websites?

5. What features can be added to each device via mods or hacks that are not available on the original devices?

6. I know that the volume on the European 6th gen 120 gb Ipod is capped; I checked one and the volume was pretty low for me. The US version is said to be loud enough for anyone. How is the volume level on the Zune 120 (US version)? If anybody knows the volume levels of both machines in decibels, that would be great.

Lastly; this question is preferably for those who own or have owned both the 6th gen 120 gb Ipod and Zune 120 (or for those who had compared them):

7. In means of sound quality which one's better? Or is the difference negligable? (I do not intend to use an amp or anything other than earphones. So please do not include the +amp configuration in the comparison).

Please tell me anything else that you think I should be taking into consideration when making my decision, excluding the facts about the Ipod having far more accessories, the Ipod store having a far bigger database of games, audio and video files for buying and the capability of being able to send files to other Zune users etc...

Thanks in advance.

Regards to all.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 19
1. Perfect here
2. Yes. Use your mp3 files on any player. there isnt any DRM protected MP3 in the entire world.
3. Zune Pass is the only subscription service available between both players and it is not needed for the Zune but you can check a free trial at Zune.net | Zune.net Home
4. All Zune firmware have been available for *FREE* and unlike the iPod firmware updates, all zune players can use the same firmware up to this day.
5. None for the Zune besides some clever programming using XNA. iPods have a plethora of mods mainly the dock connector.
6. Volume level on the Zune is not capped.
7. Well, my Zune 80 have better SQ and soundstage than my sister 3G nano when I played some Salsa tracks from Maelo Ruiz on both players. You could flow with the instruments and soundstage on my Zune while the nano just sounded like "clipped", like needing more openess or something. both player where tested with no EQ enhancements. YIMHO, since I dont own an iPod Classic.

Are you sure that the iPod Classic has more games than Zune ?
You can stream songs if you subscribe to the Zune Pass.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 19
ipod classic 120gb
1: ALL songs are gapless on ipods.
2: Yup.
3: No
4: No.
5: Plenty of mods can be done to ipods
6: The volume of my us version is plenty loud. Can't give a amount in decibels, as it varies with each can.
7: Can't compare.

I love the ease of use of my ipod way better than the zune.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Perfect here
2. Yes. Use your mp3 files on any player. there isnt any DRM protected MP3 in the entire world.
3. Zune Pass is the only subscription service available between both players and it is not needed for the Zune but you can check a free trial at Zune.net | Zune.net Home
4. All Zune firmware have been available for *FREE* and unlike the iPod firmware updates, all zune players can use the same firmware up to this day.
5. None for the Zune besides some clever programming using XNA. iPods have a plethora of mods mainly the dock connector.
6. Volume level on the Zune is not capped.
7. Well, my Zune 80 have better SQ and soundstage than my sister 3G nano when I played some Salsa tracks from Maelo Ruiz on both players. You could flow with the instruments and soundstage on my Zune while the nano just sounded like "clipped", like needing more openess or something. both player where tested with no EQ enhancements. YIMHO, since I dont own an iPod Classic.

Are you sure that the iPod Classic has more games than Zune ?
You can stream songs if you subscribe to the Zune Pass.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It's very pleasing to see that most of the people prefer the Zune's sound quality to the Ipod's, for I'm about to order the Zune 120 any moment now.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 19
I would say that the ipod would be a better pick over the zune.
For future audio purposes, you could get a LOD and amp it to make it sound better.

I like iTunes (gasp NO WAY) and I hated the Zune software (iTunes is nice and spaced, graphics aren't overly done, all that is given is the music content: which is the opposite with the Zune softwware).

Both are good, but whatever floats your boat. You will like both of them.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 19
I own/have owned both, and to me, the HP-Out of the Zune is superior SQ-wise to the iPod's Line-Out. It just sounds more musical, less dry, but still retaining great micro-detail. As an aside, I used an ALO Jumbo Cryo LOD with the iPod, so that wasn't the bottleneck.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 19
"Other", for me. I don't like either of the big two - I would recommend an iRiver or a Gigabeat modded to 120GB, and running Rockbox. So, to answer using a Gigabeat S 120GB mod:

1. Gapless works in Rockbox.
2. Yes, you can move all your MP3's to RB, no problem.
3. Nope. Doesn't support subscription services at all.
4. No fees. Rockbox is open-source. You can even compile updates and patches yourself, if you want.
5. WhyRockbox < Main < TWiki
6. No cap on Rockbox.
7. I haven't the 120GB iPod's/Zunes, but I think the Gigabeat SQ + Rockbox is excellent. Plus, the EQ is amazing.

The big issue is the patience to crack open your player and mod it to fit a 120GB drive, and also the technical chops to deal with the replacement firmware. But, once you get a handle on it, it's well worth it imo.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #8 of 19
Zune > iPod
Zune software > iTunes*

[size=xx-small](*)- Especially when it comes to handling large media libraries on external hard drives. Trust me.[/size]

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 19
Don't own the Classic (do own the video 5.5g), but the Zune80 SQ is fantastic, and no EQ really required (to me, people complaining about that are missing something important. You don't need EQ if a DAP has excellent HP out sound).

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 19
I choose the ipod classic over the zune for a few reasons. I like the line out on the ipod nad I perfer itunes and winamp to the zune software. I feel audio from my classic in the line out is far superior to the zune hp out. The zune hp out is a tad better than the classic hp out in my opinion. I like the fact that the ipod has more acessories. I gave my roomate my zune 120 and kept the classic.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I gave my roomate my zune 120 and kept the classic.

Your roommate is very lucky.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 19
Zune sounds better than Ipod to me.
No matter what headphone or amp i use, i can tell the Ipod is driving it.
Theres a certain ambient sound to it, like a reverb or empty room sound with forward midrange and rolled off bass that says "im an ipod".
It just doesnt sound natural to me.
I have an ipod nano, 2 zunes, 4 sansas, 1 centon, and i use my htc wing with headphones, and also my garmin nuvi gps with headphones......and i can always tell which is the ipod.
Im not saying the ipod isnt clear and detailed, but theres just a lively open room character to it that comes out no matter what i listen to it on. Its fatiguing to me.

Of the 2, i like the Zune.

Im actually looking at a Cowan D2 now.

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 19
I dont know why it double posted,but i erased it. #14 was the same as #13.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Plus after a years use the Zune will still look in good condition. The iPod will benefit from a good case to protect it. They do pull scratches out of the air otherwise.

The regular free feature updates on the Zune are also something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back