Zu Birth vs. Zu Bok
Mar 20, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mojorisin676

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I'm not really a power cord guru when it comes to knowledge, and all I know is that I want to replace the crappy cord on my LDII, so here is the question, is it worth to pay the extra money to get a Bok, or should I just get a Birth because I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference? Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 9
I picked up a Zu Birth on Ebay this past summer for pretty cheap, the seller is zupromos and they always have stuff up for sale. That being said, it's built well, is flexible, and is better than a stock power cord.

However, if you're really unsure about the purchase, why not minimize your risk a bit? The Volex 17604 power cords (www.Carlton-Bates.com sells them) are dirt cheap and seem to compare well against other sub-$100 power cords.

Give it a shot, and if you like what you hear, then maybe get something a bit nicer granted the rest of your system warrants a ~$100 power cord
wink.gif

edit: Are you using your iPod as the source?

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I have both the Zu Birth and Bok. The Bok looks nicer with it's aluminum plug and all, but I hear no difference in my use with digital equipment (CD Player, DAC, CD Transport).

Recommend saving the $$$, and going with the Birth, unless you are into bling.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Hey Thaddy... why the 17604 over the many other cords that Volex makes? Is it their best cord for some reason? Are there versions of the 17604's with right angle power plugs or IEC's?

Mar 20, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I had the BoK a while back and didn't care for the sound, it had a weird coloration to it. It's included in my power cord shoot-out thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...14+power+cords

I actually like the Boks, the Bok uses hybrid silver alloy & copper wires in latest Zu B3 wire configuration.........Birth is all copper wires and plastic plug housings. As you might suspect the Bok has a faster, more detailed presentation. For modest headphone system the extra cost of Bok may not be best use of money, even though you get them at @50% discount on Ebay auction.

I own Zu Boks & Mothers for use in main stereo 1 & 2

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Hey Thaddy... why the 17604 over the many other cords that Volex makes? Is it their best cord for some reason? Are there versions of the 17604's with right angle power plugs or IEC's?

Well that was the cord that was recommended to me
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just a shielded 6 foot cable without the ferrite cores, and I believe it's 14awg.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 9
Cool, I just might have to check those out... I wonder if there is a distributor in Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back