Zombies SACD
Mar 3, 2004 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I ordered the Zombies Greatest Hits SACD and receieved it yesterday. I'm a fan on this band, their excellent songwriting, and surprising musicianship. Though I'm no expert on music from the mid to late 60s, I'm guessing the band influenced many musicians of the late 60s and 70s.

There are several incarnations of Zombies "greatest hits" cds available -- the ones I own, overall, have been of pretty poor quality, but this SACD just blew me away. I can't believe how good it sounds, especially compared with the previous CDs. For some tracks, I could swear it's like I'm sitting in the studio listening in on the recording sessions -- recording sessions that took place over 35 years ago, nonethless.

If you're curious about them, I highly recommend this SACD.

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 17
acs236,
As a matter of fact, I just won this one off ebay the other day, should get it soon. reason it sounds so good is that it's mastered by Steve Hoffman, a guru. His website, www.stevehoffman.tv has a forum that is actually almost as active as Head-Fi! He's literally worshipped which says a lot about his work, that a mastering engineer can have this kind of following. I've never owned any of the stuff he's done before, he mainly mastered all those DCC Gold discs that is what he is chiefly known for, these discs typically sell now for anywhere between $40-$180 on ebay. Can't wait!

Mark

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 17
Hmmmm... well I got it today, and to my surprise, it contains one and only one song from their classic swansong "Oddysee & Oracle" ("time of the Season" of course). I suppose it serves me right for not looking at it more closely before buying.
rolleyes.gif
I wonder why it only has one song? Now I have to buy the Redbook 30th anniversary edition. Oh well, I've been meaning to buy that one for ages anyway.

The music (the earlier stuff) is a little on the "twee" side, but pretty good 60's pop stuff overall. Sound is quite good given age of recordings.

Mark

Mar 3, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 17
I really like the Zombies and think that The Odyssey and Oracle is superior, by quite a bit, to the double cd greatest hits package I have, both sonically and song quality wise. Some of the lyrics are deliciously perverted on Odyssey and Oracle.

Mar 10, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 17
Mark,

I picked up the 30th anniversary edition of Odessey & Oracle the other day. My previous version of the album consisted of a LP is less-than-excellent condition, so I didn't listen to it much. The sound of the 30th anniv. edition is quite good. They include other a stereo and mono mix, although for some reason the mono mix is pretty bad. I don't know if they didn't remaster it, or what.

After listening to this album some more, I have to wonder why it isn't generally held in high regard with some of the other classic albums from the late 60s. Well, I probably shouldn't wonder... The Zombies were only a band for a few years and they broke up before this album was released. I guess that could account for it. Yet, I think this album really holds its own.

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Hi acs236,
From what I've read about Odyssey and Oracle is that it's undergoing a sort of rediscovery a lot like Beach Boys Pet Sounds and Love's Forever Changes did in the last 10 years, albums ignored upon release but in hindsight have proven to be some of the best from that era. I've read the band knew it was going to be over for them soon, the "hits" were running out so they thought they'd leave one "last will and testament" sort of do it themselves the way they wanted it. It flopped, but two years later "Time of the Season" finally caught on and became a hit but the band had broken up ironically.

Thanks for the tip on the 30th Ann.edition, I'll make sure to pick it up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 17
Actually saw the reconstituted Zombies play several weeks ago and darn if Colin Blunstone didn't sound exactly as he did all those years ago. Rod Argent still plays a mean keyboard as well. Jim Rodford, their original bass player was also onboard. He went on to play bass for The Kinks for 20 years. They did lots of songs from The Odessey and The Oracle. They explained that the record was released after they had broken up and therefore they had never played most of the songs live before. Of course, they did there three biggest hits, "Time of The Season" (great lyric "whats your name...whose your daddy?) "Tell Her No" (recorded when they were just 18 years old) and "Shes Not There". They had a four piece orchestra on stage at various times during the show. The club was packed and the audience was ecstatic. I picked up a copy of Colin Blunstone's Some Years: It's the Time of Colin Blunstone last week but haven't fired it up yet. Sorry to go off topic.

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 17
i would like to pick up a remastered Odessey & Oracle. anyone knows if the german import is better sounding than the 30th anivesary edition?

Mar 17, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
i would like to pick up a remastered Odessey & Oracle. anyone knows if the german import is better sounding than the 30th anivesary edition?

The German import rules. Gotta get that German one!

Mar 17, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 17
I have both the Zombies' Oddessy and Oracle 30th Anniversary CD (with both mono and stereo mixes) and the box set Zombie Heaven. I haven't heard the SACD yet, but I was pretty pleased with the mixing and mastering on both of these.

I've been a big fan of the Zombies for a long time. They were one of the original psychadelic bands that wasn't over-the-top pretentious. My personal favorite is "Strung Out on a Dream" from O/O...as an aside, these guys supposedly never did drugs!!

Think I'll go listen now
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt Ellers
The German import rules. Gotta get that German one!

i decided to go get both versions. i kinda guess the german version would be the better quality, but still wanted the mono version included in the 30th annivesary edition. after a bit of comparative listening, the German version is a little better, mainly offering a 'cleaner' sound than the 30th annivesary edition. still if i had to choose between the two versions, i would keep the 30th annivesary edition, because of the more detailed linear notes and that the mono album is included.

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 17
This is a nice SACD indeed... think I'll give it another spin tonight. It shouldn't be too hard to find in my alphabetical CD filing sytem. Right after Zevon - another good one in the Z section!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back