Zombie Invasion? Try "Beats by Dr. Dre" Invasion
Sep 7, 2011 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

R-Audiohead

1000+ Head-Fier
We're all aware of their marketing strategies to flood and brainwash the naive consumer, but check out their new announcement: http://www.htc.com/us/press/htc-and-beats-by-dr-dre-set-to-introduce-new-era-in-mobile-audio/41

Why does this make my blood boil?  Is this because I fear for the worst... that "good sonics" is evolving in a way that will leave current high fidelity in the dust?

This isn't like moving from Vinyl to Compact Discs, to me it seems more like the type of sound that is preferred among upcoming "enthusiasts" is actually changing and this may lead to what "good sound" means in the future.

So while this may be just another "Beats Bashing Thread", I also am hoping for some stimulating conversation on the subject of this potential shift in sonic preference.

I am not supporting Beats... but are they onto something? Are they catering to this change in preference, or are they more of a driving force factor?  I like to think the latter, because it seems it is mostly gullible consumers I hear of/see using Beats products for "HiFi".

Thoughts Head-Fi?

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 20
Look on the bright side, thanks to the beats, people now think $500 for a headphone isn't insane 
tongue.gif

HTCs are not exactly very good for audio so this might improve their stuff a bit. Too bad what people think is the best headphone is a headphone which most of what you pay for goes to dr dre's private jet fuel, instead of sound quality.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 20
Do you all have a secret fetish for Dr. Dre?

Why are the most discussed headphones on this forum some of the worst performing ones measured against price?

I bet Jude makes more money off of Beats by Dr. Dre affiliate sales than any other product, given how often these threads come up with the matching Amazon sidebar links.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 20
LOL HTC's strategy to beat Samsung is pathetic....

Samsung and Apple will always be my smartphone company of my choice

While Samsung and Apple uses the best internals and best build quality as possible, HTC uses the worst internals and the worst build quality.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
HTC compensates with better software, but thats just IMO

Sense 2.1 was perfect, everybody loved it.

but have you used Sense 3??

its the worst skin ever, meanwhile TW4 is actually awesome.

if you have used the Sensation and SGS2. unless the Sensation is a lot cheaper, you have to be stupid to get the Sensation

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 20
yeah, Sense 2.1 is awesome. absolutely loved it on my HTC Magic.

but ever since Samsung joined the Android army, i can see HTC has been struggling. they even bought Beats which is just a brand name...

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm a Moto fan myself, but that's just due to familiarity with their hardware/user interfaces.  I agree Samsung is likely the champ, with the iPhone doing well in the audio department (No 4G though, so fail on the iPhone 5 for my next upgrade).  Moto certainly makes a better product than HTC, IMO.

I just can't CAN believe... I mean more that I just wince at the idea of Beats turning up everywhere to flood the scene with muddy, booming bass infecting the luscious valley that is midrange.

Or maybe it just makes me angry to think that what they're doing works... that the existence of gullible consumers is in fact large enough to cause a company to succeed by doing something other than making quality products.

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 20
I'm also a moto fan here. D2G hasn't failed me yet, other than the classic headphone jack dying. But that happened on my D1, though I personally disassembled it and fixed it. And I'll be honest here, Moto's new Motorola Application Platform (aka blur) is creeping up on me with how good it feels now. Very smooth and fun to use. You even get screen rotation animations!

Relax about the beats infection though; since HTC is willing to unlock the bootloader, the phones just need dev support to kang some CM7 onto it. CyanogenMod's DSP manager has never failed to impress so far. One of these days, you might even see me releasing a kang'd CM7 onto an HTC device if I get programming. That's a few years off but until then...

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 20
It is sad that people think that beats are premium sound. I just hope real high fi companies don't mass produce headphones like this and have real hi fi left in the dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back