ZMFheadphones HOT CUP SUMMER 2024; Hot Off the Grille // Discussion and News Thread
Jul 3, 2024 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113
Hey all - it's that time of year again for the third (I think!?) annual ZMF Hot Cup Summer.

Hot Cup Summer represents a chance during audio's more or less "down season" to do some fun things by releasing batches of wood that I've been collecting for quite a while that we can do in a slightly smaller quantity - which means it's a lot of fun for me because I get to try new things!

I'll list below what's upcoming and exciting, and I'll try to add as much Instagram and YouTube content as I can handle. We are moving to new building that we've been working on making into a headphone workshop since 2022, so it's exciting times all around.

1. July 5th Release - Atrium Closed Canarywood, Atrium Open RedHeart, Caldera Closed and Caldera Open RedHeart.

I got a really good deal on some blocks of RedHeart wood, so I'm passing that on at as close to list price for each model as I can. As usual - RedHeart is stunnginly pretty, with a "I can't believe nature made something that vibrant" type of look. I am staining the RedHeart very lightly so that the wood browns as little as possible over time, but still retains the natural grains.

Canarywood has become a shop staple and favorite. The wood feels buttery, and looks vibrant, I love how each piece is tri or quad colored with Reds, Greens, Yellow's and more. Using Canary for closed headphones is always a win, as the medium density has the right amount of decay to my ears to sound exceedingly natural.

These are all on the website now on the product page, and will be released friday: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones

2. July 26th Release - Black and White Ebony // Various Models. Atrium Closed, various woods including Cocobolo, Camphor Burl, and more!

I've been collecting Black and White Ebony for a while, as it might be my favorite wood ever - but it also is REALLY hard to get and really hard to work with. We finally solved the issue we were having with slightly undersized pieces as well as surface splits by using resin to fill the voids. It worked, and it's awesome. The finished wood feels like literal butter too.

Secondly we have some left over Atrium Closed wood that we just cut too much of. We hand picked through it for the best pieces, and will be picturing them as a mini drop where you can see the actual headphones you'll be getting. All the headphones released on the 26th will be pictured for your perusal.

3. August 16th Release - Translucent Gold/Silver Flake Stabilized Resin // Various Models, Translucent Flake Stabilized Matching Salire's, Optional Matching Burl Translucent Flake wood cases!!! First run of Stabilized and Resin BOKEH Closed. Possible MEGA Salire release (if we can fit them in!)

This was @BooUrns idea a while back, to do a clear resin with gold and silver flakes in it. We made one unit for CanJam NYC that sold in about five minutes, and I'm still wondering who ended up with that lovely headphone. This might be one of the coolest things I've ever seen as the headphones end up looking like some clear pure water and it just melds in with the wood perfectly. Check out the instagram page here for a sneak peak, I'll post more pics as we get finish on them too: https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en

Lastly and not leasty - we will be At CanJam London: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2024-july-20-21-2024.972660/

We will have a few units of the Bokeh open with a closer to final tuning. You can look for the BOKEH Open release later this year. It's another headphone that has taken a lot of minor tweaks to really sounds its best - and were in a stage where we're experimenting with foam density for the pads and I am confident it'll be in the best form yet at the show. Some come see us if you're around!!! We also are working towards having open shop days every month or two at the new shop - so look out for news on that as we get moved in so that those in the Chicago area, or visiting can come hear our stuff.

Some pics of all of the above being released July 5th:

DSC02586.jpgDSC02685.jpgDSC02696.jpg_DSC4665.jpg_DSC4692.jpg_DSC4528.jpgDSC02664.jpg_DSC4554.jpgDSC02722.jpgDSC02745.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02593.jpg
    DSC02593.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC4565.jpg
    _DSC4565.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02702.jpg
    DSC02702.jpg
  • _DSC4648.jpg
    _DSC4648.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02645.jpg
    DSC02645.jpg
  • DSC02672.jpg
    DSC02672.jpg
Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 3, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 113
@zach915m I said this in an email, you are going to break the internet with the translucent resin. Especially with those wild wood patterns. Dear lord.... My wallet 😭😭

If anyone who purchased the set in question, please post pictures!!

ZMF is killing it. Absolutely love it.

1000027579.jpg

1000027595.jpg

Jul 3, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 113
I knew that CC would look very different and awesome with other wood too but I just can’t believe the Redheart CC!!!. It’s outright a giant gorgeous ruby!!

Jul 3, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 113
I knew that CC would look very different and awesome with other wood too but I just can’t believe the Redheart CC!!!. It’s outright a giant gorgeous ruby!!
It's so wild, like a shape within a shape. Gorgeous.

Jul 3, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 113
2. July 26th Release - Black and White Ebony // Various Models. Atrium Closed, various woods including Cocobolo, Camphor Burl, and more!
Hi Zach,
Does your note above mean that you may have Caldera Closed in Cocobolo and/or Camphor Burl in the July 26th release, or only Atrium Closed in those woods?

Planning on either springing for a Caldera Closed in a mid-to-hard density wood (preferably Cocobolo) in a reddish color or a Burl with golden tones, if there is a harder (or mid-density wood) in one of those those colors. That would go perfectly with my current (Blackwood) VC and (Red Mallee) AC.

Otherwise I’ll come see you, @BooUrns and the rest of the ZMF crew at CanJam SoCal in person and pick up a Caldera Closed from you there! 😊 🙌

Jul 3, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 113
Hi Zach,
Does your note above mean that you may have Caldera Closed in Cocobolo and/or Camphor Burl in the July 26th release, or only Atrium Closed in those woods?

Planning on either springing for a Caldera Closed in a mid-to-hard density wood (preferably Cocobolo) in a reddish color or a Burl with golden tones, if there is a harder (or mid-density wood) in one of those those colors. That would go perfectly with my current (Blackwood) VC and (Red Mallee) AC.

Otherwise I’ll come see you, @BooUrns and the rest of the ZMF crew at CanJam SoCal in person and pick up a Caldera Closed from you there! 😊 🙌
Now that you mention it, I'm about due for a vacation. Cali weather does sound nice 😂

Jul 3, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 113
Jul 3, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 113
Hey all - it's that time of year again for the third (I think!?) annual ZMF Hot Cup Summer.

Hot Cup Summer represents a chance during audio's more or less "down season" to do some fun things by releasing batches of wood that I've been collecting for quite a while that we can do in a slightly smaller quantity - which means it's a lot of fun for me because I get to try new things!

I'll list below what's upcoming and exciting, and I'll try to add as much Instagram and YouTube content as I can handle. We are moving to new building that we've been working on making into a headphone workshop since 2022, so it's exciting times all around.

1. July 5th Release - Atrium Closed Canarywood, Atrium Open RedHeart, Caldera Closed and Caldera Open RedHeart.

I got a really good deal on some blocks of RedHeart wood, so I'm passing that on at as close to list price for each model as I can. As usual - RedHeart is stunnginly pretty, with a "I can't believe nature made something that vibrant" type of look. I am staining the RedHeart very lightly so that the wood browns as little as possible over time, but still retains the natural grains.

Canarywood has become a shop staple and favorite. The wood feels buttery, and looks vibrant, I love how each piece is tri or quad colored with Reds, Greens, Yellow's and more. Using Canary for closed headphones is always a win, as the medium density has the right amount of decay to my ears to sound exceedingly natural.

These are all on the website now on the product page, and will be released friday: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones

I've been collecting Black and White Ebony for a while, as it might be my favorite wood ever - but it also is REALLY hard to get and really hard to work with. We finally solved the issue we were having with slightly undersized pieces as well as surface splits by using resin to fill the voids. It worked, and it's awesome. The finished wood feels like literal butter too.

Secondly we have some left over Atrium Closed wood that we just cut too much of. We hand picked through it for the best pieces, and will be picturing them as a mini drop where you can see the actual headphones you'll be getting. All the headphones released on the 26th will be pictured for your perusal.

3. August 16th Release - Translucent Gold/Silver Flake Stabilized Resin // Various Models, Translucent Flake Stabilized Matching Salire's, Optional Matching Burl Translucent Flake wood cases!!! First run of Stabilized and Resin BOKEH Closed. Possible MEGA Salire release (if we can fit them in!)

This was @BooUrns idea a while back, to do a clear resin with gold and silver flakes in it. We made one unit for CanJam NYC that sold in about five minutes, and I'm still wondering who ended up with that lovely headphone. This might be one of the coolest things I've ever seen as the headphones end up looking like some clear pure water and it just melds in with the wood perfectly. Check out the instagram page here for a sneak peak, I'll post more pics as we get finish on them too: https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en

Lastly and not leasty - we will be At CanJam London: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2024-july-20-21-2024.972660/

We will have a few units of the Bokeh open with a closer to final tuning. You can look for the BOKEH Open release later this year. It's another headphone that has taken a lot of minor tweaks to really sounds its best - and were in a stage where we're experimenting with foam density for the pads and I am confident it'll be in the best form yet at the show. Some come see us if you're around!!! We also are working towards having open shop days every month or two at the new shop - so look out for news on that as we get moved in so that those in the Chicago area, or visiting can come hear our stuff.

DSC02586.jpgDSC02685.jpgDSC02696.jpg_DSC4665.jpg_DSC4692.jpg_DSC4528.jpgDSC02664.jpg_DSC4554.jpgDSC02722.jpgDSC02745.jpg
God those black and white ebony sets are absolutely amazing ! Zach, do you know what models the black and white ebony will be used for …any atrium opens?

Jul 3, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 113
The addition of gunmetal grills/ rods to the Redheart sets are great! Giving them a little extra sheen. The B/W ebony CC is insanely good looking. Wow.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Redheart Atrium!

Do you have any idea what range these will weigh in at with magnesium chassis?

My set is ~535g with magnesium. I would expect there to be some slight unit variance.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 113
Pretty amazing looking batch all-round - can't wait to see more of the translucent resin models, that one Auteur shot looks wild.

Jul 3, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 113
Love this! Will you also be attending CanJam SoCal?

Jul 3, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 113

@zach915m I said this in an email, you are going to break the internet with the translucent resin. Especially with those wild wood patterns. Dear lord.... My wallet 😭😭

If anyone who purchased the set in question, please post pictures!!

ZMF is killing it. Absolutely love it.

Hey @zach915m and @OnlySoMany I was the lucky one who got the one at Canjam haha.

I REALLY REALLY want the one pictured above as that is probably the prettiest HP I have ever seen and would match the one I have but with purple instead of blueish green. Especially since that pic looks like it may he Auteur which is my second fav ZMF HP. Will try to grab either way. @BooUrns created a lovely pair of Calderas with it. I plan on heading to zmf room asap in Canjam Socali and seeing if there is something as pretty to grab!

Also absolutely going to get a Black and white Ebony AC to match my BW Ebony AO.

IMG_9048.jpeg
IMG_9049.jpeg
IMG_9050.jpeg

IMG_8837.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #14 of 113
Interesting, I though Caldera Open Redheart that ran 2023 was a limited time variant

Jul 3, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 113

WOW that CC B/W ebony is incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back