ZMFestivus II: October 5th, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #76 of 335
Festivus II: Information for Travelers!

We are so excited that ZMF crew is flying in from literally all around the world. Festivus will be a great time AND Chicago should not yet be a wintery disaster. I may have just jinxed us here guys, sorry...

9941067_l.jpg

Flying In:

Chicago has 2 main airports that both have our L train (elevated subway) just outside their doors:

O’Hare- North of the city (closer to Festivus venue) The Blue Line train is available here.

Midway- South of the city (Southwest airlines flies in here exclusively) The Orange Line train is available here.

Getting Around:

We have CTA buses, The L trains (various colors), and Uber, Lyft, and Taxi Cabs.

Places to Stay:

There are not too many hotels right around the festivus venue but here are some options:

Ø Easy & Cost Effective

-If being close to the venue is paramount: AirBnB has a selection of rooms, apartments, and full homes you can stay in. https://www.airbnb.com/

-O’Hare Airport is 9.9 miles from Festivus. Airport hotels can be pretty cost effective. You would be able to take the blue line L train from an airport hotel right to the Festivus venue.

-This Hotel in Skokie, IL is 4.5 miles from the Festivus venue https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/skokie/chisk/hoteldetail

Ø Fun Spots to Stay (further from Festivus, more costly)

-Hotel Lincoln is near the city’s free Zoo and the lake. Walk to cafes, shops, etc. https://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/il...gle-local&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

-Ace Hotel is in the epicenter of all of Chicago’s best restaurants. Ask folks in the thread about their experience staying there last year. https://www.acehotel.com/chicago/

- Michigan Avenue hotels… will be expensive BUT, if you want to stay in the most “downtown” area where you can see the lake, do some shopping, and have the big city feel check out this area.

Amazing places to eat:

Little Goat Diner- Really great play on diner food manned by real chefs. Everything is made from scratch even the breads and rolls.

Green Street Meats- Best BBQ in the city. A Bevin & Zach date night classic.

Au Cheval- There will be a long wait and line— mostly drinks but the few food items are pretty great.

Pizza- Lou Malnotti’s for the classic Chicago deep dish or Pequods a little further north.

Beatrix—Great fresh ingredient food dining.

Hub 51- Very broad menu, nice dining downtown

Parson’s Chicken & Fish- The best place for chicken and waffles in the city.

Furious Spoon- Great Ramen. They play hip hop music very loudly here.. just an FYI in case that’s not your thing.

Smoque BBQ- by the Festivus venue and our second favorite BBQ joint in the city.

Things to do:

- Walk by the river on the “Riverwalk” there are places to eat, watch the boats or grab a drink.

- Explore a Neighborhood-

- Go to the Museums-

- Find Live Music-

- EAT-
I won’t be able to this year, but with those dining options in addition to ZMF goodness, I will have to another time fooooor sur.

The spoiled Portland foodie in me was like... I just ate, but also: want.

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #77 of 335
@BooUrns , thanks for the suggestions! The idea of a French incfluenced steakhouse sounds really intriguing.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #78 of 335
@BooUrns , thanks for the suggestions! The idea of a French incfluenced steakhouse sounds really intriguing.

My brother once told me some of the French eat their steak served "Blue". He described "Blue" as taking the steak out of the refrigerator and waiving it over the fire and serving it. Seemed to almost make Rare "well done".

Was not for me, :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #79 of 335
Yup. You and me both, Brother!

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #80 of 335
Fleming’s on Ohio St. even though it’s a chain restaurant is very good one of the best ribeye I have ever had it’s a bit pricey but oh so good.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #81 of 335
Well tried to list my gear and don’t think it went thru but no worries I while bring it none the less.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #82 of 335
Oh boy, thinking about making the drive out from Cleveland for the event, will have to see where my schedule falls a little bit closer to the date! I'll wait to RSVP until I know for sure.

Is there room for two Glenn OTL amps though? I could bring a different tube setup from Zach's, along with some extras if people are curious about how rolling affects the amp. I would also bring my pretty Bottlehead Crackatwoa.

DSCF5370.jpg

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #83 of 335
There were two Glenn amps there last time. Bring what you got. Tthe more the better.

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #84 of 335
Man, everyone in this thread is sporting some major gear. After selling off a bunch of my nicer gear this summer, I won't have anywhere the level as the rest of the fellow attendees. I'm mostly coming to check out some ZMF headphones in person!

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #85 of 335
I won't have anywhere the level as the rest of the fellow attendees. I'm mostly coming to check out some ZMF headphones in person!
Sorry about your wallet.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #86 of 335
Oh boy, thinking about making the drive out from Cleveland for the event, will have to see where my schedule falls a little bit closer to the date! I'll wait to RSVP until I know for sure.

Is there room for two Glenn OTL amps though? I could bring a different tube setup from Zach's, along with some extras if people are curious about how rolling affects the amp. I would also bring my pretty Bottlehead Crackatwoa.

Would love to hear the Crackatwoa

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #88 of 335
If it works for my schedule and I make the trip, it will definitely be coming along with some select tubes!
That would be awesome.

Aug 11, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #89 of 335
Just RSVP'd yes. Barring some show-stopping event, I will be there!!! Will bring my Glenn OTL, Crackatwoa, and my best tubes. Probably will leave the Atticus at home and bring the Auteur and HD650. Can't wait :)

Oh, and my camera, I will take lots of pics to post in the impressions thread.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #90 of 335
Oh, and my camera, I will take lots of pics to post in the impressions thread.
That is the most important piece, for those of us who won't make it to the event... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back