ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Apr 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #1,201 of 1,522
Oh man...too cancel my thx00 purpleheart for this or not...

If this would be able to add a burst finish and lambskin pads, I wouldn't hesitate.

How does this compare with the hd650? Standout feature of my 650 is the very natural and forward midrange and fantastic vocal reproduction.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,203 of 1,522
Well, I joined the drop. Will cancel my purpleheart and join the mahogany drop in May that ships right away. Compare the two and keep the one I like best.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,204 of 1,522
Oh man...too cancel my thx00 purpleheart for this or not...

If this would be able to add a burst finish and lambskin pads, I wouldn't hesitate.

How does this compare with the hd650? Standout feature of my 650 is the very natural and forward midrange and fantastic vocal reproduction.

Not sure about HD650 but the Vibro MKII replaced my HD600 as main headphone.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,205 of 1,522
I also dropped out of the purpleheart to join the Vibro MKII drop which filled up damn quick.

The Vibro looks fantastic, really looking forward to hearing it.

At the moment I'm mainly using a HD650 through a Schiit Valhalla 2 which sounds pretty special. Any one have any experiences with the Vibro MKII though a Valhalla?

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,206 of 1,522
The TH-X00 is already a huge hit. The purple heart variant seems even better, and appears to have set Massdrop records. A few of us canceled on that drop and ended up getting the ZMF deal. To me, that speaks volumes about ZMF.

It might be the product, it might be customer service, or the boutique nature of it all, but the ZMF came out on top for my $$$

Thanks, Zach!

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #1,207 of 1,522
I also dropped out of the purpleheart to join the[COLOR=222222] Vibro MKII drop which filled up damn quick.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]The Vibro looks fantastic, really looking forward to hearing it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]At the moment I'm mainly using a HD650 through a Schiit Valhalla 2 which sounds pretty special. Any one have any experiences with the Vibro MKII though a Valhalla?[/COLOR]

Planars will generally not sound their best on an OTL amp. I'm sure it will sound great, but even something cheaper like a Magni 2 should drive the Vibro better.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,210 of 1,522
I've ordered a pair of the ZMF x Vibro mk2's in zebra wood. Just ordering, was a great experience with literally no cons. Personally, I feel happy that I've spent money on these (RIP wallet), though I haven't tried em out yet. Remember!, Zach can tune your headphones to certain degree with mods besides changing your wood for just material cost (probably includes shipping, but he shouldn't pay for that for his free service)! Thanks Zach for the awesome experience via patient customer service and pictures (from massdrop) to smile at for the next 4 weeks.

I probably won't be doing a review, because my language or opinions of headphones, iems are too different from others in my opinion. I like to TRY to be objective, but I'll be sure to give feedback in this forum.

Apr 9, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #1,211 of 1,522
Completely new member here, this being my first post (sorry it's a lengthy one). After reading every single page of this thread about the Vibro (and eventually the Blackwood) and seeing how highly regarded Zach's amazing creations are, well, I had to put in my two cents here. From the initial emails discussing some slightly unique finish options to just asking about pad options, Zach was ridiculously helpful and encouraging, and I hadn't even committed to a purchase yet! Once I pulled the trigger, it was both pleasure and agony watching my name move slowly up his handy self-updating order list, but then all of a sudden they had shipped.

I'm going to pause a moment here to say that I am completely new to head-fi beyond a cheap open Sennheiser set and some pretty decent Shure E2Cs that I've had for forever. I have, however, heard some ridiculously nice home audio systems at my local audio store and other places and I knew that somehow headphones could "get there" in terms of that kind of rich and dynamic sound. And for far cheaper than a pair of $13k floorstanders. At any rate, after reading the heaps of positive praise and impressions so helpfully provided here by you folks, I confess my expectations of my newly-crafted Vibro MK II cans were through the roof. Thus, my first evening listening to these through my three month old Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 was surprisingly lackluster. I had read about burn-in, so I didn't fret too much. Instead, I just listened to them a bunch and left them burning for a couple hours or so whenever I went out, and it seems that in just the past two days the sound has completely transformed into the butterfly I knew these could, should, be. Burn these cans, people! The bass is now rich and full, even down to some surprisingly low octaves by the organ in Bjork's "Virus." And this evening while listening to Porcupine Tree's "The Incident", the experience was not dissimilar to hearing the band live a few years ago in Portland playing the same material - loud, bold, dynamic, clear, musical! Like all good relationships, this 'phone definitely needed some time to open up, but now, what an amazing experience!

So, Zach, I personally want to thank you in a public forum for making astounding planar sound available to mere plebeians like myself. I am enamored with my Vibros!

As an aside, anyone else here have any experience with the ZMF/Grant Fidelity pairing? I have to pin the volume almost to full at times, but it definitely powers the 'phone. Good sounding amp, and the DAC even makes streaming from Spotify a joy.

Also, I am not sure if he is on these forums, but Instagram user headfiyyc provided quite a bit of helpful discussion when I was just starting to think about new headphones. Loving this community!

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,212 of 1,522
Nice write up! If you're at almost full volume at times then you're amp isn't powerful enough to get the most out of those vibros. The amp might supply enough power to achieve high volumes but it's not supplying the power needed for those planar magnetic divers to deliver the sound they're able to.

According to http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html the specs for your amp say that power output is 110mW at 300 Ohm and 600mW at 32 Ohm. With no listing for 50ohm we would have to guess the output power. If i'm not mistaken planars LOVE power and pair better with amps that have 1W or more output at 50ohms. 

All of this is based off of other users experience and my own. When I first got my mad dogs I plugged them into my motherboard audio,I didn't have an amp at the time, and the volume HAD to be at 100% to achieve a decent listening volume and it sounded thin,flat, and sibilant. When I received my H10 they sounded like a completely different headphone. Bassy, spacious, and smooth. I was kind of taken aback by how much the sound changed just from using an amp. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,213 of 1,522
Nice write up! If you're at almost full volume at times then you're amp isn't powerful enough to get the most out of those vibros. The amp might supply enough power to achieve high volumes but it's not supplying the power needed for those planar magnetic divers to deliver the sound they're able to.

According to http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html the specs for your amp say that power output is 110mW at 300 Ohm and 600mW at 32 Ohm. With no listing for 50ohm we would have to guess the output power. If i'm not mistaken planars LOVE power and pair better with amps that have 1W or more output at 50ohms. 

All of this is based off of other users experience and my own. When I first got my mad dogs I plugged them into my motherboard audio,I didn't have an amp at the time, and the volume HAD to be at 100% to achieve a decent listening volume and it sounded thin,flat, and sibilant. When I received my H10 they sounded like a completely different headphone. Bassy, spacious, and smooth. I was kind of taken aback by how much the sound changed just from using an amp. 

+1 for the Gustard H10 and planars... Great pairing.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,214 of 1,522

Thank you for your helpful advice, @MLegend. Indeed, I dug out my old Harmon Kardon receiver and plugged the Vibros into it to investigate. Though I had to turn the volume up quite a bit higher than the Paradigm Phantom floorstanders it used to power, the sound was noticeably cleaner and more dynamic. The amp must have plenty of power to burn. So, at some point I'll be upgrading my headphone amp, but in the meantime the Grant Fidelity is serving its needs, and not just as a hp amp. Lovely little device!

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,215 of 1,522
Thank you for your helpful advice, @MLegend. Indeed, I dug out my old Harmon Kardon receiver and plugged the Vibros into it to investigate. Though I had to turn the volume up quite a bit higher than the Paradigm Phantom floorstanders it used to power, the sound was noticeably cleaner and more dynamic. The amp must have plenty of power to burn. So, at some point I'll be upgrading my headphone amp, but in the meantime the Grant Fidelity is serving its needs, and not just as a hp amp. Lovely little device!

I wonder if speaker taps might give you more power. Depends on how old the amp is I'd guess.- 70s amps had a nice headphone section. 80-90s not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back