ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Feb 21, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #1,141 of 1,522
Hi all
For the last month or so I have been living with a set of Blackwoods and now I feel confident in saying that they are the best closed set I have had or borrowed (TH-X00,mad dog pros,AKG K545,HP50,PM3) and better than many open sets(HE-400,DT-880,990,HD600). It my just be the sound signature that hits the sweet spot with warmth,transparency and musicality that's just right for me. They work so well with rock,blues,punk,alternative and jazz witch is mostly what I listen to. Now the only two headphones I have been using are the LCD-2Fazor and the Blackwoods. I have sold 2 pair already and maybe more soon but it's hard to part with the THX00 and T90 they are both fun in their own way.
Thanks Zach

I'm curious as to what you thought of the PM3. Anything like the Blackwoods?

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,142 of 1,522
  I'm curious as to what you thought of the PM3. Anything like the Blackwoods?

I had the PM3 for about 2 weeks( friend that has them is 2 hours away) They are a nice set the best part is the portability of them. They sound good off a phone/Ipad better of X3/D50.
All around the Blackwood is just better some parts just a bit, scale blackwoods = 10, transparency is close 8/10(planar are all good there) same with the bass 8/10 mids 7.5/10 treble 7/10.
I like warmth but with a little sparkle on top the PM3 roll off a little to much for me and the BW have that woody goodness that feels more in tune PM3 sound a little disconnected that way. Now If you want a Planar for on the go PM3 all the way.
This was a desk top with a Gustard H10 comparison and I did not have both at the same time about 8 to 10 weeks apart I just tried out the PM3 to see if I wanted them. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,144 of 1,522
  I had the PM3 for about 2 weeks( friend that has them is 2 hours away) They are a nice set the best part is the portability of them. They sound good off a phone/Ipad better of X3/D50.
All around the Blackwood is just better some parts just a bit, scale blackwoods = 10, transparency is close 8/10(planar are all good there) same with the bass 8/10 mids 7.5/10 treble 7/10.
I like warmth but with a little sparkle on top the PM3 roll off a little to much for me and the BW have that woody goodness that feels more in tune PM3 sound a little disconnected that way. Now If you want a Planar for on the go PM3 all the way.
This was a desk top with a Gustard H10 comparison and I did not have both at the same time about 8 to 10 weeks apart I just tried out the PM3 to see if I wanted them. 

I heard the PM3 at a meet and I recall a similar signature to the blackwoods, so I've been thinking about picking them up as my portable. your scale looks about right to me. I'll probably get a pair, you know, once the money shows up

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,147 of 1,522
Can anyone compare the Blackwood vs. The Fostex TH-XOO for me?
The TH-X00 is a "fun sounding" set,the Blackwood is more natural sounding with a little bit of sub bass bump. I really like the TH-X00 when I'm working on the PC or paperwork and just looking for some good back ground music. The TH-X00 bass is it's stretch it has good mids and highs roll off at a nice point and they sound good off just about any Amp,phone or DAP. For more critical listening the Blackwoods are more transparent and musical. With the right Amp the Blackwoods have the ability to make the music come to life more than the TH-X00 would ever be able to. Now that's for the music I listen to rock alternative jazz if you are listening to more basshaed type of music the TH-X00 my be more enjoyable for you. Just IMP of course.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #1,148 of 1,522
The TH-X00 is a "fun sounding" set,the Blackwood is more natural sounding with a little bit of sub bass bump. I really like the TH-X00 when I'm working on the PC or paperwork and just looking for some good back ground music. The TH-X00 bass is it's stretch it has good mids and highs roll off at a nice point and they sound good off just about any Amp,phone or DAP. For more critical listening the Blackwoods are more transparent and musical. With the right Amp the Blackwoods have the ability to make the music come to life more than the TH-X00 would ever be able to. Now that's for the music I listen to rock alternative jazz if you are listening to more basshaed type of music the TH-X00 my be more enjoyable for you. Just IMP of course.

Thank you.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #1,149 of 1,522
I got my Vibros today, they have absolutely blown away my expectations. They are just fantastic. They surpass all my current 'phones without exception. Very happy customer. I actually contacted Zach around midnight one night via his chat function on his website. I told him what type of music I'd be playing and was torn between the vibro and blackwood. Zach went to get both headphones, listened to the track and told me his impressions immediately to help me decide. Ultimately the sound of the vibro mk2 was more what I was looking for vs the blackwood. What REALLY made the difference for me was Zach saying the vibro has a greater sense of air and that the track we played sounds so  good on them he's going to use it for his demo track in the future. I've never heard the blackwood, but the sense of air on these is just exceptional. More then the dt880, more than the he400 and mdp. They're just satisfying to listen to.

Impeccable customer service and an exceptional product that literally feels like he made it just for me, oh, he did.

---

On a side note, I had a hard time finding comparisons to the MDPs, but the short version is that the Vibros feel lighter on your head, a lot more clarity, resolution, larger soundstage, tighter bass, less bass quantity, needs more amping (to me), a lot more air, more engaging. MDP is darker and more lush sounding. I've always preferred the little dot 1+ with the mdp, but it doesn't feel like it's enough to drive the vibro. I had to switch over to the magni, which is an amp I don't particularly love. Will be going to a project polaris in the near future. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #1,150 of 1,522
  I got my Vibros today, they have absolutely blown away my expectations. They are just fantastic. They surpass all my current 'phones without exception. Very happy customer. I actually contacted Zach around midnight one night via his chat function on his website. I told him what type of music I'd be playing and was torn between the vibro and blackwood. Zach went to get both headphones, listened to the track and told me his impressions immediately to help me decide. Ultimately the sound of the vibro mk2 was more what I was looking for vs the blackwood. What REALLY made the difference for me was Zach saying the vibro has a greater sense of air and that the track we played sounds so  good on them he's going to use it for his demo track in the future. I've never heard the blackwood, but the sense of air on these is just exceptional. More then the dt880, more than the he400 and mdp. They're just satisfying to listen to.

Impeccable customer service and an exceptional product that literally feels like he made it just for me, oh, he did.

---

On a side note, I had a hard time finding comparisons to the MDPs, but the short version is that the Vibros feel lighter on your head, a lot more clarity, resolution, larger soundstage, tighter bass, less bass quantity, needs more amping (to me), a lot more air, more engaging. MDP is darker and more lush sounding. I've always preferred the little dot 1+ with the mdp, but it doesn't feel like it's enough to drive the vibro. I had to switch over to the magni, which is an amp I don't particularly love. Will be going to a project polaris in the near future. 

So glad you got them!

BTW on a side note, I am not able to burn in the Vibro's as much as I'd like before shipment, so run them hard for a few days, they will loosen up (in a good way).

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,151 of 1,522

---

Welcome to the family. They are great.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,153 of 1,522
I received my Vibro MRKll (closeout, used cups) on Monday (2/29), and only have about 3.5 to 4 hours of listening time with them. I'll get a long session with them this weekend but so far I think they sound great. Nice clarity, air, and soundstage; good weight to midrange and bass. I'm thinking about putting a semi-gloss clear coat on the cups to bring out the color (they have a dull matte finish) and give them a little shine.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,154 of 1,522
  Do you try to burn-in all headphones for customers, or only when they ask?

The Blackwood and Omni both get extended burn in because the driver gets taken apart and put back together.  The Vibro and Classic get a few hours to make sure they are stable.  So yes, all headphones get some sort of burn in, I do recommend more once they are in your hands though!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,155 of 1,522
is there a popular opinion on tubes vs ss amps for the zmf line? the little dot is a little too weak for me to make an accurate comparison. I keep going back and forth between a polaris and ember. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back