ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Jan 1, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,113 of 1,522
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,114 of 1,522
I've been listening to my new set of Vibro MK II headphones almost non-stop since Christmas.  Love them.  I loved them from the first listen.  I got a used pair of Vibro MK IIs in burst finish because the full price was a stretch.  So thanks for whoever turned those in just before I purchased them.  Zach brought them up to current standards and to my ears that is a very high standard indeed.  I had read a good deal about headphone break-in and these didn't need it.  Not sure if the new ones would need break-in time or not.

I just wanted to thank all you guys for helping me make a decision and to let any headphone novices (like me) that are out there know that you should get these.  I think you'll love them as much as I do.  I can't say what other headphones in the hi-end sound like but these were perfect for me right out of the box.  I did hear lots of headphones in the lower price ranges that I didn't like at all; so I know what bad headphones sound like.  I haven't used the bass tuning.  I have them hooked up to a Yamaha receiver with 1/4" jack.  Nothing fancy.  I have my computer connected to an old receiver to push B&W speakers so I just use the 1/4" jack on it for gamming.

I really don't think I've every heard strings sound this good and I'm really enjoying going back and revisiting classic rock and the country stations.  It's hard to believe how "stereophonic" those 70s rock songs were at a time when most people only had one speaker in their car and TV.  It's also nice to listening to music or movies late at night without bothering anyone.

I'm not a complete novice when it comes to sound quality.  I've played music my whole life and have always had a very good stereo/home theater system.  Not audiophile or reference quality but very good 5.1 and better than anyone else I know.  Ears are still good.

Best Christmas present I've gotten since that 3-wheeler I got in 1976.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #1,115 of 1,522
My vibro is the least picky about amplification headphone I've ever owned. It's really versatile in that regard. It was paired with 6 different amps here and the sound was solid from them all. Different but always enjoyable.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,116 of 1,522
  I've been listening to my new set of Vibro MK II headphones almost non-stop since Christmas.  Love them.  I loved them from the first listen.  I got a used pair of Vibro MK IIs in burst finish because the full price was a stretch.  So thanks for whoever turned those in just before I purchased them.  Zach brought them up to current standards and to my ears that is a very high standard indeed.  I had read a good deal about headphone break-in and these didn't need it.  Not sure if the new ones would need break-in time or not.

I just wanted to thank all you guys for helping me make a decision and to let any headphone novices (like me) that are out there know that you should get these.  I think you'll love them as much as I do.  I can't say what other headphones in the hi-end sound like but these were perfect for me right out of the box.  I did hear lots of headphones in the lower price ranges that I didn't like at all; so I know what bad headphones sound like.  I haven't used the bass tuning.  I have them hooked up to a Yamaha receiver with 1/4" jack.  Nothing fancy.  I have my computer connected to an old receiver to push B&W speakers so I just use the 1/4" jack on it for gamming.

I really don't think I've every heard strings sound this good and I'm really enjoying going back and revisiting classic rock and the country stations.  It's hard to believe how "stereophonic" those 70s rock songs were at a time when most people only had one speaker in their car and TV.  It's also nice to listening to music or movies late at night without bothering anyone.

I'm not a complete novice when it comes to sound quality.  I've played music my whole life and have always had a very good stereo/home theater system.  Not audiophile or reference quality but very good 5.1 and better than anyone else I know.  Ears are still good.

Best Christmas present I've gotten since that 3-wheeler I got in 1976.

Welcome to the family.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,117 of 1,522
How does the Vibro do with metal?  Coming from an hd650 and 400i, I like to hear these have a great midrange, but how is the vocals?  Are they fully closed back design?

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,118 of 1,522
  How does the Vibro do with metal?  Coming from an hd650 and 400i, I like to hear these have a great midrange, but how is the vocals?  Are they fully closed back design?

I address this a bit in my review.  You can find the link in my sig.  Short version:  I don't think metal is one of the strengths of this headphone.  It does many genres really well, but metal is just okay.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,119 of 1,522
I address this a bit in my review.  You can find the link in my sig.  Short version:  I don't think metal is one of the strengths of this headphone.  It does many genres really well, but metal is just okay.

Damn, thanks. I really like my 400i with metal and have been trying to find a good closed option like it for when I need isolation.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,120 of 1,522
I'm thinking about getting a ZMF, but not sure which one (vibro mkII or blackwood). The headphones I currently own are Senn Momentums, HD700 and Phillips Fidelio X1. Can anybody who has either headphone give me a quick comparison to any of the ones I listed? I guess my dream sound profile would be a good soundstage with great impactful sub-bass and mid bass, and mids along with non-offensive treble. Maybe I'm asking for too much? Lol.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,121 of 1,522
I'm thinking about getting a ZMF, but not sure which one (vibro mkII or blackwood). The headphones I currently own are Senn Momentums, HD700 and Phillips Fidelio X1. Can anybody who has either headphone give me a quick comparison to any of the ones I listed? I guess my dream sound profile would be a good soundstage with great sub-bass and mid bass, and mids along with non-offensive treble. Maybe I'm asking for too much? Lol.

Your description of dream headphone is similar to mine, and I find that it accurately describes the Omni. I can't speak to the Vibro or Blackwood but Zach at ZMF explained to me that the Omni has the best soundstage.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,122 of 1,522
The omni also has better sub bass. The vibro has more midbass and is not as clear or detailed as the omni. Vibro does have a really nice tone and my favorite mids to date. It also has the sweetest treble. Never offensive. Vibro is also much easier to drive. Omni is my favorite headphone. I have the Blackwood omni and a cherry vibro. Either is going to be easier on the ear than the hd700 and have better resolution than the X1. Both isolate very well even though the omni is semiclosed. Two great headphones that can be enjoyed when others are around. Both are better than your current hps across the spectrum but the vibro doesn't quite have the soundstage of yours. Both zmfs have great layering of sound and instrument placement. All of this to my ears of course.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,123 of 1,522
I own the HD600 and the Momentum over ear 2.0. The Vibro has become my main HP. More info in my review listed below.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,125 of 1,522
  Anyone with more information about the Vibro Labs Aria? Got an e-mail and I'm kinda tempted. Got the e-mail as a ZMF customer. So I'm guessing more people received the e-mail about the Aria. 

I received the e-mail and I jumped right in. I'm getting my impressions made this monday. These babies will be my first ciem ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back