ZMF Verite Open
Aug 30, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #6,721 of 9,512
I wish the mids weren't so recessed. Using EQ on a high end headphone is a bit annoying. At least it's not as much of a recession as LCDs have.
I've always had a real aversion to high end headphones that require me to EQ them to sound right, but somehow Verite gets away with it because with just a tiny bit of adjustment it's SO damn good.

Try this:

1630368510128.png

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #6,722 of 9,512
I've always had a real aversion to high end headphones that require me to EQ them to sound right, but somehow Verite gets away with it because with just a tiny bit of adjustment it's SO damn good.

Try this:

1630368510128.png
I'll check that out thanks, coming from the HD600 so naturally a lot of headphones end up sounding much less shouty in the 1-3k region

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #6,724 of 9,512
I'll check that out thanks, coming from the HD600 so naturally a lot of headphones end up sounding much less shouty in the 1-3k region
Yeah, the dip at 3k in Verite's frequency response confuses me - makes vocals sound like they're coming from inside a tunnel. IMO bumping that frequency up 2-3db fixes the problem. And 9k dips a little too low for my liking, hence the bump to that freq. The rest is just to compensate and keep the rest in check. Minor adjustments that to my ears make a big difference. :)

Aug 30, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #6,725 of 9,512
I guess I'm the contrarian here. I find the Verite to be voiced to my near ideal. I do prefer the Verite pushed through a good quality tube amp. And I do like to tailor the sound with NOS tubes. But all things considered these sonic changes are minor overall. I guess this just reaffirms that we all hear slightly different from one another.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #6,726 of 9,512
Yeah, the dip at 3k in Verite's frequency response confuses me - makes vocals sound like they're coming from inside a tunnel. IMO bumping that frequency up 2-3db fixes the problem. And 9k dips a little too low for my liking, hence the bump to that freq. The rest is just to compensate and keep the rest in check. Minor adjustments that to my ears make a big difference. :)
3k vocals... You always listening to Mariah Carey whistling?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #6,727 of 9,512
I wish the mids weren't so recessed. Using EQ on a high end headphone is a bit annoying. At least it's not as much of a recession as LCDs have.
As much as I like the sound of the verite, it's mid-upper mid range presentation can be a huge turn off for most people. None issue for me though.

The Tuba amp and Pendant for me make this a non-issue.
I'm currently running the verite with several tube amps and none of it change that particular trait of the verite.

I guess I'm the contrarian here. I find the Verite to be voiced to my near ideal. I do prefer the Verite pushed through a good quality tube amp. And I do like to tailor the sound with NOS tubes. But all things considered these sonic changes are minor overall. I guess this just reaffirms that we all hear slightly different from one another.
Not sure what it is about tubes but it sure makes dynamic driver headphones sing. I enjoy using my verite and hd800 interchangeably for vastly different experience.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #6,728 of 9,512
I only got my Verite a week ago and I definitely did notice mid range unevenness on my first listen. Not bothersome but noticable. But after 100 hours or so of burn in, it's almost negligible. I was never a believer in burn in but I'm pretty convinced now. And it's not brain burn in as I was listening to my other headphones the entire week as I ran burn in noise through the Verite.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #6,729 of 9,512
I'm currently running the verite with several tube amps and none of it change that particular trait of the verite.
Yeah, I didn't get that off the 4 other tube amps I've used it with--Woo WA7, Loxjie P20, Valhalla 2, tube modes in iFi Pro iCAN, all regardless of tube rolling.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #6,730 of 9,512
3k vocals... You always listening to Mariah Carey whistling?
lol no, but that particular frequency muffles the top end of vocals wherever they live. The whole voice doesn't have to appear within the exact frequency in question to be affected by it. That said, it's a subtle thing. Verite's tuning is objectively unusual, though I find it for the most part very pleasing. Just the dip at 3k sounds "strange" to my ears sometimes. I mean, look at it - it even looks "strange".

Attachments

• verite freq response (univ perf).jpeg
    verite freq response (univ perf).jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #6,731 of 9,512
lol no, but that particular frequency muffles the top end of vocals wherever they live. The whole voice doesn't have to appear within the exact frequency in question to be affected by it. That said, it's a subtle thing. Verite's tuning is objectively unusual, though I find it for the most part very pleasing. Just the dip at 3k sounds "strange" to my ears sometimes. I mean, look at it - it even looks "strange".
Looks pretty damn good to me. And sounds like it looks.

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #6,732 of 9,512

I think I posted this here or elsewhere, but it's probably worth mentioning - I am innately aware of all things subjective and objective when making each of our headphones. With the verite driver we were able to have this area be smoother when we used a lesser strength magnet, but instead decided to use the strongest magnet because it reduced THD, increased speed and impulse, and the sound overall has a bigger stage. A stronger magnet with my preferred membrane material was definitely a trade-off to a smoother looking graph, but fortunately we as humans don't hear specific frequencies when listening to a headphone, we hear them melded together.

Concerning target curves, I totally find them useful, and that's a whole other discussion, but until you know what your personal specific target curve is with each driver type, setup and circumstance, it's really hard to pit any one headphone against a target curve to make a broad stroke determination. I've found that audiophiles buying high end headphones have more varied taste then those buying consumer products, because we all spend SO much time figuring out what we like! I've had the fortune to start ZMF and really dive into this journey, and I've found that headphones tuned to the target curve above are just too bright for me - and I know that's totally personal, and by no means is a statement on whether this curve, or any curve is "right" or "wrong."

Down the line we will be posting more measurements to our site and I plan on posting more video's about our in shop process, it's something I've been meaning to do for a long time, but have been buried trying to churn out headphones! Definitely sign up for our newsletter and I'll let everyone know when new info is available and when I post video's on youtube etc.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 1, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #6,733 of 9,512
Thanks for the detailed explanation @zach915m .

Quick question/request: if possible could you post the power/size of the magnets used in the VO, Auteur and Aeolus? I believe this info is not on the site and it would be very nice to see and compare.

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #6,734 of 9,512
Thanks for the detailed explanation @zach915m .

Quick question/request: if possible could you post the power/size of the magnets used in the VO, Auteur and Aeolus? I believe this info is not on the site and it would be very nice to see and compare.
It goes n35, n50 and n52 from aeolus, auteur to Verite.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #6,735 of 9,512
It goes n35, n50 and n52 from aeolus, auteur to Verite.

Thank you. Does anyone know how these compare to the Sennheiser HD-600/650 magnets?

And can they be compared to Audeze magnets? For example the MX4 is shown as having 1.5 tesla magnets. But tesla measures magnetic flux, whereas newtons measure magnetic attraction? How can one compare?

Personally I am interested in enjoying headphones with lower strength magnets. I know most want the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back