ZMF Verite Open
Aug 6, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #6,601 of 9,512
Has anyone received the Verite Sapele's that are finished with the Vintage Mahogany Stain yet? i would love to see some pics!

I received my Sapele VO a few days ago, but the card says "Tru Oil Varnish". I guess the Vintage Mahogany Stain is a special order? Mine was a regular order.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #6,602 of 9,512
I received my Sapele VO a few days ago, but the card says "Tru Oil Varnish". I guess the Vintage Mahogany Stain is a special order? Mine was a regular order.
That's interesting. The description on the site says it's the stock wood and finish. I wonder if "vintage mahogany" is just a description of what it looks like. I know Tru Oil is a type of varnish. Is it darker than the regular Sapele?

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,603 of 9,512
That's interesting. The description on the site says it's the stock wood and finish. I wonder if "vintage mahogany" is just a description of what it looks like. I know Tru Oil is a type of varnish. Is it darker than the regular Sapele?

Looks the same as on my Aeolus, fairly dark. I will try to take a half decent photo this afternoon.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #6,604 of 9,512
Keeping up with the fun news regarding Verite. I received an automated message from ZMF about a month ago, informing me that my African Blackwood Verites had started the sanding and finishing stage in the build. Then 3-4 days ago I received another email telling me that my headphones had begun the assembly stage of the build.

I know the good folks at ZMF are working away this summer and I'm sure I'll have my African Blackwood Verites in hand soon(ish).

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #6,605 of 9,512
Keeping up with the fun news regarding Verite. I received an automated message from ZMF about a month ago, informing me that my African Blackwood Verites had started the sanding and finishing stage in the build. Then 3-4 days ago I received another email telling me that my headphones had begun the assembly stage of the build.

I know the good folks at ZMF are working away this summer and I'm sure I'll have my African Blackwood Verites in hand soon(ish).
The African Blackwood VO is so tempting. Do you plan to keep both your existing Purpleheart and Blackwood ?

edit: typo

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #6,606 of 9,512
@AudioPowerHead

That's a great question.

I think I'll keep them both for a few weeks. I want to do a subjective test to see if I can discern the difference between the Purpleheat & the Blackwood. I don't know yet. If one speaks louder to me, then I'll sell the other one. I guess to answer your question, I don't know at the moment. I was lucky, Zach was the one that made my Purpleheat wood Verite last year during the critical lockdown of quarantine. So on that level I value that the person who created the Verite built these by himself. I realize that the African Blackwoods are built by the highly trained staff at the new ZMF workshop. So on that level it's a team effort. We'll see...But I am getting excited that's for sure.

I wanted to add one thing that should make my subjective test of African Blackwood Verite vs Purpleheat wood Verite even more interesting.

My main, and full sized headphone amp is the ALO Studio Six. The SS was designed to drive up to four headphones simultaneously with equal power and equal levels of quality. So I really can see myself setting up both headphones side by side and doing a fun, home version of an A/B subjective test.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6,607 of 9,512
Looks the same as on my Aeolus, fairly dark. I will try to take a half decent photo this afternoon.

OK, I had a chance to look at it. I see now that the website says "the current stock wood for the Vérité Open is Sapele. The sapele is finished in a vintage mahogany stain for a darker appearance." For sure my VO Sapele does not look as dark as in the pictures here - https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones/products/verite .

I hadn't seen that part about the wood finish when I ordered, all I wanted was the same wood (and secretly hoped for the same color as my Aeolus).

And what I got is close, but not exactly the same. In fact, as you can see in the pictures, my Aeolus is obviously darker. Still not anywhere as dark as the VO pictures on the ZMF website. I am very happy with what I have.

20210806_144945.jpg20210806_150701.jpg

Both headphones look more "orange-y" in the pictures than IRL. In fact they are more brown. Not darker, just more brownish. As everyone has remarked, they always seem to look better in person than in pictures.

The closest (very close) I can say my VO Sapele wood really looks like is this picture of an Aeolus from the ZMF website.

ZMF website.JPG

Maybe Zach could tell us if all VO Sapele are finished with the vintage mahogany stain and the result just varies from unit to unit?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #6,608 of 9,512
OK, I had a chance to look at it. I see now that the website says "the current stock wood for the Vérité Open is Sapele. The sapele is finished in a vintage mahogany stain for a darker appearance." For sure my VO Sapele does not look as dark as in the pictures here - https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones/products/verite .

I hadn't seen that part about the wood finish when I ordered, all I wanted was the same wood (and secretly hoped for the same color as my Aeolus).

And what I got is close, but not exactly the same. In fact, as you can see in the pictures, my Aeolus is obviously darker. Still not anywhere as dark as the VO pictures on the ZMF website. I am very happy with what I have.

Maybe Zach could tell us if all VO Sapele are finished with the vintage mahogany stain and the result just varies from unit to unit?
@zach915m

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #6,609 of 9,512
Just wanted to see how many of us are out there making headphone cups, stands, desks, listening stations, racks, etc. I thought it would also be fun to talk about projects and possibly inspire others.

Obviously, Zach at ZMF is the king of this. I like to dabble a bit:

The stain we put on the Verite Sapele is a aging agent more than a super dark stain (it kind of de-saturates on some pieces). On some pieces of sapele it darkens it a lot, on some not as much. As with everything wood, expect variance as we don't have control of the exact tone the same stain takes on with every piece of sapele, although we do use the same stain.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 6, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,612 of 9,512
There are videos online of people washing their pads (not necessarily ZMF, but plenty of others). Most of those folks just soapy water and wring them out. Then they rinse them off with fresh water and let them airdry.

That seems reasonable...but maybe I'm crazy...

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #6,613 of 9,512
There are videos online of people washing their pads (not necessarily ZMF, but plenty of others). Most of those folks just soapy water and wring them out. Then they rinse them off with fresh water and let them airdry.

That seems reasonable...but maybe I'm crazy...

It scares me even to think that :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back