ZMF Verite Open
May 7, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #6,256 of 9,512
Other members have posted observations similar to mine, but this bears repeating: absolute weight is definitely an important comfort factor--but so are distribution of the weight & efficacy of the headband/leather-underband design.

My 2 ZMF dynamics (blackwood Aeolus; silkwood VO) have a very particular combination of relatively high weight (definitely high weight for the blackwood Aeolus) + superior comfort in the headband design. And I'm talking stock headband--no suede underband or Pilot pad. Those 2 products are definite potential comfort upgrades, which is nice to have--but thankfully, the comfort I feel with the stock headband is really superior.

I've had lighter headphones that were bizarrely uncomfortable compared to these ZMFs...weight is a factor, but not the only factor.

I hear what you're saying. But here is the question - are we talking about two different things?

One is comfort during the first minute, first hour, first three hours, meaning when I put a 600g ZMF on I might feel just right, perfect weight distribution, proper fit, right clamp pressure. When I put on my HD-600, even after 3 years of use, the clamp is stronger and so the comfort is not as good in that respect.

The other is lower back of the head and/or neck pain after prolonged use, after four hours or six. I may not think the Sennheiser has the best comfort with that clamp, but after six hours I am going strong with no pain and have even gotten totally comfortable with the clamp. But after four or six hours the 600g headphone is starting to affect the lower back of the head / neck.

My long-term (owned) experience with heavy models was a 550g Audeze LCD-MX4 which was fine after a few hours even, but not after six. And a 620 or 640g LCD-2CB which was murder after one hour (and sounded bad too in retrospect). How does a 600g ZMF feel after four hours?

Of course there is an argument that one doesn't need to use a headphone that long.

May 7, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #6,257 of 9,512
The space from the drivers to the ears is smaller on the verite suede, leather and be2, this usually gives it smaller Soundstage if I'm not wrong.

May 7, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #6,258 of 9,512
Does anyone know if zmf make driver change or update since introducing Pheasantwood? I have a pleasant wood version, just curious. Thanks

May 7, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #6,259 of 9,512
May 7, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #6,260 of 9,512
You can make your own pointy-head headphone band

It's been done already:

s5dzkUv.png

May 7, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #6,261 of 9,512
I would like to share my 2 cents regarding ZMF headphones and their weight....

I have owned the LCD-X (600g). IMO, it was a heavy headphone. Heavy enough for me to sell it. The headband and straps were not comfortable and I couldn't wear it for more than 2 hours and even then, my neck would hurt. That was my first foray into the world of heavy headphones. While i owned the LCD-X, I decided to buy my first ZMF headphone, a LTD Zebrawood Auteur. My particular one weighed a little on the heavy side @ 550g since i went with aluminum chassis instead of magnesium. Despite only 50g difference, the Auteur felt like a lightweight. In addition, I use my 6ft zmf 2k copper with all of my ZMF cans and those cables can certainly add to the overall weight of the headphone. After my auteur, I bought a Camphor Burl Verite Closed which weighed at 450g so that one doesn't really fall into this discussion.

About 3 weeks ago, I got delivery of my Desert Ironwood Verite Open and that beast weights 635g, which makes it the heaviest headphone i have ever owned. But here's the thing, it doesn't feel like it. To me, the lcd-x is still heavier feeling that the VO. And i believe its because of the weight distribution. I have a slightly pointy head shape, so most of my headphone straps sit directly over the pointy part of my skull. I do have a lush, full, thick head of hair (LOL) so most headphone straps, with enough cushion doesn't really bother me. The LCD-X was a different story. Audeze's thin straps do little to nothing to provide any kind of padding over my head so all the weight of the headphones sat directly over my pointy skull, despite my precious locks. Also, with the LCD-x, there isn't a lot of space between the metal headband and the strap so often times, the metal headband would actually sit on top of the strap and add to the discomfort. The zmf straps, leather, suede, pleather are softer and thicker than Audeze, not to mention the weight distribution of ZMF cans are extremely even. I am not suggesting that my 630g VO feels like a HD650 but it certainly doesn't feel as heavy as 630g sounds.

Right now, I am using ZMF Pilot pads on all of my ZMFs and those thicker pads help distribute the weight all around my head and the weight issue is all but gone. I strongly recommend Pilot or Co-pilot pads for peeps who are having weight issues with their headphones. It might just help you relieve some head/neck pair and make your beloved headphones even more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

May 7, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #6,262 of 9,512
I have a Verite open silk that is on the light side (magnesium hardware) and then a leopard wood closed which is I guess on the heavier side. I don’t feel a big difference in listening and I frequently do listen for a few hours at a time. Everyone may be different though so if weight is a big concern for you maybe this is much more important but I agree the suspension and distribution of weight is good and they have a headband bending video that really helped me dial in the clamping force to what I like.

The main thing to me is if I lean forward or back the leopard wood can pull down or off of my head easier because of the weight where silk wood open are more likely to just stay on my head so I mainly notice it when reaching for something I have to be more careful with the closed. For normal listening though neither cause any issues either listening fatigue wise or comfort wise and this is probably one of my favorite things with these is I can listen to either for hours.

May 7, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #6,263 of 9,512
I have BE2 hybrid... the sound stage narrows up quite a bit... haven't used it since... maybe will try later to confirm the experience again
Same - I have BE2 hybrid + Verite leather along with the stock Universe lambskin. I tried both the BE2 & Verite pads, but pretty quickly realized I prefer the Universe. With a tiny bit of EQ they're perfect.
Verite eq.PNG

May 7, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #6,264 of 9,512
I would like to share my 2 cents regarding ZMF headphones and their weight....

I have owned the LCD-X (600g). IMO, it was a heavy headphone. Heavy enough for me to sell it.
Totally concur. My one audition of it ended within a couple minutes because I found them so uncomfortable. I've had 2 ZMFs about 580g and was able to wear both for 6-8 hours without issue. While I prefer even lighter still, there is a huge difference in comfort than the slightly different weights between Audeze and ZMF would suggest.

May 7, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #6,265 of 9,512
There is something about the LCD design, the original headband felt like a clamp, couldn't wear for more than a couple of hours, then replaced it with the carbon fiber headband, much better but the weight balance is a little strange and never felt right.

May 7, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #6,266 of 9,512
There is something about the LCD design, the original headband felt like a clamp, couldn't wear for more than a couple of hours, then replaced it with the carbon fiber headband, much better but the weight balance is a little strange and never felt right.
The carbon fiber headband is a strange design. There's always one of the carbon fiber bands touching my head, never both. I think technically neither should touch.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #6,267 of 9,512
I hear what you're saying. But here is the question - are we talking about two different things?

One is comfort during the first minute, first hour, first three hours, meaning when I put a 600g ZMF on I might feel just right, perfect weight distribution, proper fit, right clamp pressure. When I put on my HD-600, even after 3 years of use, the clamp is stronger and so the comfort is not as good in that respect.

The other is lower back of the head and/or neck pain after prolonged use, after four hours or six. I may not think the Sennheiser has the best comfort with that clamp, but after six hours I am going strong with no pain and have even gotten totally comfortable with the clamp. But after four or six hours the 600g headphone is starting to affect the lower back of the head / neck.

My long-term (owned) experience with heavy models was a 550g Audeze LCD-MX4 which was fine after a few hours even, but not after six. And a 620 or 640g LCD-2CB which was murder after one hour (and sounded bad too in retrospect). How does a 600g ZMF feel after four hours?

Of course there is an argument that one doesn't need to use a headphone that long.
My comments were influenced by 2 factors that may be peculiar to me, making my experience w/comfort less meaningful to others:
  1. Despite my arthritic neck, headphone weight never made much of an impression on me. I can switch from the relatively lightweight JAR650 (heavily modded HD650) to the blackwood Aeolus, which is probably near-double the weight--and barely notice a difference. Part of that is no doubt due to the superior headband system of the Aeolus, but not all of it;
  2. And I've never listened to any headphone for truly extended periods. A typical listening session will be 45" to an hour and a half. On a few occasions I went 2 hrs+, but the combination of migraine & tinnitus always take me out of it sooner than that, no matter how wonderful the headphone. Maybe if I could tolerate HP music for 5-6 hrs straight, I'd start feeling that weight...
Like everything else in this hobby, comfort (or that lack of it) is intensely subjective & personal.

May 8, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #6,268 of 9,512
My comments were influenced by 2 factors that may be peculiar to me, making my experience w/comfort less meaningful to others:
  1. Despite my arthritic neck, headphone weight never made much of an impression on me. I can switch from the relatively lightweight JAR650 (heavily modded HD650) to the blackwood Aeolus, which is probably near-double the weight--and barely notice a difference. Part of that is no doubt due to the superior headband system of the Aeolus, but not all of it;
  2. And I've never listened to any headphone for truly extended periods. A typical listening session will be 45" to an hour and a half. On a few occasions I went 2 hrs+, but the combination of migraine & tinnitus always take me out of it sooner than that, no matter how wonderful the headphone. Maybe if I could tolerate HP music for 5-6 hrs straight, I'd start feeling that weight...
Like everything else in this hobby, comfort (or that lack of it) is intensely subjective & personal.
and everyone's head shape & size is different... my comfort experience is mine alone....

May 9, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #6,269 of 9,512
My humble ZMF collection

IMG_20210509_112551_921.jpg
IMG_20210509_112551_940.jpg

May 10, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #6,270 of 9,512
Nice collection, @shafat777!

I only have one.. But it is a beauty!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back