ZMF Verite Open
May 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #6,241 of 9,506
Hi guys...

I'm very interested in Verite Open and have many questions about the headphones and their sonic characteristic. I tried to go through the forum but with 400+ pages, it's difficult to find what I'm looking for.

- Is there any sonic difference between Verite Open and the LTD Vérité Desert Ironwood version? If it's purely the look, I will go with the normal version.
- From the website, it seems the headphones can be tuned to sound more warm/bright based on the pads. So if my sonic preference is warmest sound (female vocal), I should go with Universe Lambskin?
- Tuning aside, based on the sonic character of the headphones alone, would you say the headphones are in warmer (Audeze's house sound) or brighter/colder (HD800' ish) side?
- Now my main headphones are Utopia + Lazuli Ref XLR / Empyrean + Silver Dragon XLR, do you think Verite Open would bring about any improvement/upgrade?
- If I want it to sound best, what is the best upgrade cable available? Is ZMF's own cable upgrade option worthy of consideration? If so, which cable upgrade option should I choose (I love details/deep base/bold + full mid but can't stand sibilant or harsh sounding)
- Lastly, my current modest setup consisting [ Aurender N100H / QB9 Twenty / V281 ] would these (especially V281) play well with the Verite Open?

Last question... is there anything I should be aware of buying these headphones? When I bought the Utopia, I wasn't aware of the dread driver failure, and I don't wanna repeat that mistake! So any tips would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if these have been discussed many times in this thread but I did my search but couldn't quite find the answer.

Thanks for your feedback!
I did an audition on Verite and the shop owner also let me try Empy (both were brand new back then), I found Empy sounded quite flat, colder and less musical than Verite (both headphones ran on highend tube amp)....

I've been eyeing Verite since the beginning and found Ironwood is the 'look' I want so I pulled the trigger... Wood makes minute sonic difference according to Zach, it's not much of a concern with Verite than his other headphones.

I find Utopia has slightly better detail retrieval, bit faster and bit more dynamic than Verite but Verite does great in those departments.... Also Utopia gives me a unique sound pressure no other headphone gives me (like in violin solo, the weight of the bow can be felt by the pressure on my head).... therefore it can be quite tiring after listening to it for a while whereas Verite is very enjoyable depending if you're ok with the weight. Also Verite gives a wider and taller sound stage than Utopia.

I find Universal pads give a more V sound than Verite pads. Also it's bit wider but centre vocal bit more disperse therefore Verite pads stays. Will buy other pads to try later.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #6,242 of 9,506
I can't speak to it personally as I've only heard it myself a handful of times, but I do know that @Pharmaboy loves the combo. It's his set that I've heard and it does sound great to my ears, but I'm sure he'll chime in now that I've tagged him...
Thanks for the input. I didn't see this yesterday.

Yes, I also saw his post when I searched for "281"... and his impression was among the reason I'm really interested in this headphone.

I did an audition on Verite and the shop owner also let me try Empy (both were brand new back then), I found Empy sounded quite flat, colder and less musical than Verite (both headphones ran on highend tube amp)....

I've been eyeing Verite since the beginning and found Ironwood is the 'look' I want so I pulled the trigger... Wood makes minute sonic difference according the Zach, it's not much of a concern with Verite than his other headphones.

I find Utopia has slightly better detail retrieval, bit faster and bit more dynamic than Verite but Verite does great in those departments.... Also Utopia gives me a unique sound pressure no other headphone gives me (like in violin solo, the weight of the bow can be felt by the pressure on my head).... therefore it can be quite tiring after listening to it for a while whereas Verite is very enjoyable depending if you're ok with the weight. Also Verite gives a wider and taller sound stage than Utopia.

I find Universal pads give a more V sound than Verite pads. Also it's bit wider but centre vocal bit more disperse therefore Verite pads stays. Will buy other pads to try later.
Thanks... since I also own the LCD-X and don't have any problem about the weight, I think I'd be happy with the VO.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #6,243 of 9,506
Should be good. The weight of the LCD-X is 600 g and the VO varies between like 410g and 630g depending on materials.

May 6, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #6,244 of 9,506
Hi... what is the best way to reach ZMF?

I’m about to make a purchase and I’ve sent email to contactZMF@gmail.com about shipping/customs declaration but have not heard back from you.
Zach and Bevin are really nice people, I had a nice chat (emails) with Bevin for my Ironwood VO purchase... she will take care of you

May 6, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #6,245 of 9,506
I also will not get into a cable debate, but whether you believe cables make an audible difference or not, Zach's cables are gorgeous to look at and feel like quality. I say if you're going to go for a flagship VO, get a flagship cable to go with it (that's what I did). YOLO.
I have Zach's Verite silver and 2k copper cables..... think they're really good value for their built quality..... just my opinion, i stay away from silver plated copper as i find them bit glary and piercing..... as I'm a silver person, need to save up more for those cables...

May 6, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #6,246 of 9,506

I've been eyeing Verite since the beginning and found Ironwood is the 'look' I want so I pulled the trigger... Wood makes minute sonic difference according to Zach, it's not much of a concern with Verite than his other headphones.

I'm x2 everything above, except the wood part. Wood may make only minute different, but it's there, noticeable. For example, my Pheasantwood (more than twice harder wood than regular Silkwood) produce thicker sound, that Verite pad (supposed to be the leanest sounding pad) on Pheasantwood produce sound almost as thick as Universe pad (fullest body sounding pad) on Silkwood.

Attach Verite pad on Silkwood is too bright for me. While use Universe pad on my Pheasantwood is simply too dark for my taste. These type of woods make me think that ZMF do really need various pads on their line up to fine tuning each headphones (read: woods).

May 6, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #6,247 of 9,506
I'm x2 everything above, except the wood part. Wood may make only minute different, but it's there, noticeable. For example, my Pheasantwood (more than twice harder wood than regular Silkwood) produce thicker sound, that Verite pad (supposed to be the leanest sounding pad) on Pheasantwood produce sound almost as thick as Universe pad (fullest body sounding pad) on Silkwood.

Attach Verite pad on Silkwood is too bright for me. While use Universe pad on my Pheasantwood is simply too dark for my taste. These type of woods make me think that ZMF do really need various pads on their line up to fine tuning each headphones (read: woods).
I found the BE2 pads to be a good middle-ground for neutrality, but ended up missing some of the darkness and stage from the Universe pads.

As has been mentioned on here before, the Universe suede checks the boxes of that bigger stage, but the suede is less warm/dark compared with the lambskin.

May 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #6,248 of 9,506
As has been mentioned on here before, the Universe suede checks the boxes of that bigger stage, but the suede is less warm/dark compared with the lambskin.
Sounds like BE2 hybrid is the answer - best of all worlds.

May 6, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #6,249 of 9,506
I used to have a V281. They have transformer hum in the audio path but it's hard to hear with less sensitive headphones. It's twice as loud as the V200 since it is essentially one V200 for each channel and has two transformers.

I have a V281 and never heard this hum w/any headphone, nor with 4-5 different sets of speakers.

May 6, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #6,250 of 9,506
Although, consider this personal experience I have with various weights of headphones I used/use extensively:

1) Sennheiser 6-series - round up to 300 grams
2) ZMF Aeolus - 450 grams (Sapele, mine weighs 442g)
3) Audeze LCD-MX4 - 550 grams

The Sennheisers have a specific hard clamp. The Audeze, as you said, has a less comfortable headband system than the ZMF.

But as far as... how long would I wear this, do they absolutely feel like they weigh 300, 450, and 550 all other things aside? Yes, no matter the system, they all feel after a few hours like they weigh what I wrote above.

To put it differently, I love my ZMF at 442 grams and can wear it all day. But I know that at 500 it would get uncomfortable. Now... for those who absolutely do not care about weight, they've worn that LCD4 for hours and the neck did not start hurting after 2 hours, then the improved aesthetics or harder woods are an option with their advantages (aesthetics, denser wood, less reverb).

But there are many of us who know for a fact that the difference between 430g and 600g is the difference between usability/enjoyment and a tricky proposition.

Other members have posted observations similar to mine, but this bears repeating: absolute weight is definitely an important comfort factor--but so are distribution of the weight & efficacy of the headband/leather-underband design.

My 2 ZMF dynamics (blackwood Aeolus; silkwood VO) have a very particular combination of relatively high weight (definitely high weight for the blackwood Aeolus) + superior comfort in the headband design. And I'm talking stock headband--no suede underband or Pilot pad. Those 2 products are definite potential comfort upgrades, which is nice to have--but thankfully, the comfort I feel with the stock headband is really superior.

I've had lighter headphones that were bizarrely uncomfortable compared to these ZMFs...weight is a factor, but not the only factor.

May 6, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #6,251 of 9,506
I can't speak to it personally as I've only heard it myself a handful of times, but I do know that @Pharmaboy loves the combo. It's his set that I've heard and it does sound great to my ears, but I'm sure he'll chime in now that I've tagged him...

Yes, in my experience the V281 is a terrific, pleasing sonic match for the VO--also a great match for every headphone I've ever had IMS. Tube amps obviously do a few things no SS can....but if you like the convenience, clarity, and punch of SS sound, the V281 is way up the SS food chain. The V281 has all the power & synergy w/the VO that I could ask for.

One of the many things I like about the VO (on any amp) is the level, accurate bass reproduction. it's not be a basshead's dream (the bass is unexaggerated), yet the bass is so accurate in tone & timbre, so revealing of the sound of different bass instruments, that it gives me much pleasure in the bass. And the V281, as it does with every HP, seems to bring the last degree of bass impact & depth. The soundstage of the VO is also excellent on the V281. Soundstage is one area where tubes often walk all over SS, but not so w/the V281.

May 6, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #6,252 of 9,506
Other members have posted observations similar to mine, but this bears repeating: absolute weight is definitely an important comfort factor--but so are distribution of the weight & efficacy of the headband/leather-underband design.

My 2 ZMF dynamics (blackwood Aeolus; silkwood VO) have a very particular combination of relatively high weight (definitely high weight for the blackwood Aeolus) + superior comfort in the headband design. And I'm talking stock headband--no suede underband or Pilot pad. Those 2 products are definite potential comfort upgrades, which is nice to have--but thankfully, the comfort I feel with the stock headband is really superior.

I've had lighter headphones that were bizarrely uncomfortable compared to these ZMFs...weight is a factor, but not the only factor.
I agree with this for sure. I had the HD-800s for awhile and while it was insanely light and overall very nice, I find the ZMF headphones to be even more comfortable. I was always adjusting the HD-800s and they never really felt right. The ZMF’s do a better job of disappearing on my head.

May 6, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #6,253 of 9,506
I have to get a "pilot pad". ZMFs are too heavy for my pointed skull. I couldn't wear the LCD-4 for more than 20 minutes.

May 6, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #6,254 of 9,506
too heavy for my pointed skull
That's where you got your tag from....

Seriously the pilot pad is supposed to work wonders. I haven't had the occasion to try, nor the need as I find ZMFs quite comfortable overall, but I tip my hat (off of my obviously flat head) to Zach for including options for heads of different sizes.

May 7, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #6,255 of 9,506
Sounds like BE2 hybrid is the answer - best of all worlds.
I have BE2 hybrid... the sound stage narrows up quite a bit... haven't used it since... maybe will try later to confirm the experience again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back