ZMF Verite Open
Oct 12, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #3,226 of 9,506
Verite showed up yesterday. I'm very pleased with the tone of the Cocobolo wood of my pair, a truly beautiful headphone. I got a few hours of early listening in and it's already noticeable how good these are with detail, speed, and resolution. I listened mostly to the Universe pads yesterday but a briefly checked out the Verite pads as well.
I left them on burning to pink noise overnight and then for another 8 hours while I was at work this morning.
Listening to Infected Mushroom - B.P. Empire album right now via the ZDT Jr with the Verite pads, it's amazing how detailed they are while maintaining a completely enjoyable presentation.
I am noticing the weight of them a bit more than I expected, but probably because I haven't had any over-ear headphones for the past month.
:)

Album with some more pics.

Very pretty cocobolo. I actually prefer coco that veers into browns vs maroons/reds...and this is it.

Beautiful headphone!

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #3,228 of 9,506
I really wish you would post more often. These threads can always use a jolt of nihilistic irony...
That's all I'm good for anymore. I try not to clutter posts though.

I've had absolutely no wanderlust ever since I found my endgame. Yggy A2 > ECP 3F > Auteur / Verite.

Oct 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #3,229 of 9,506
Hope this is ok to post here,

Just for fun if anyone is interested in a temporary swap of their Verite for my HEKse for a week or two let me know. I’d love to get some extended time on my own home rig with the Verite.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #3,231 of 9,506
The man, the myth, the legend...:wink: the reason my wallet is lighter due to Ziricote lust lol well you and @Torq
I didn't do it. No one saw me. You can't prove anything.

Besides, it's not like I was pestering @zach915m for ziricote since the release of the original Eikon/Atticus. I mean, if I did put the idea in his head, then maybe I would be at fault.

But I didn't.

So I'm not.

Probably.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #3,232 of 9,506
I didn't do it. No one saw me. You can't prove anything.

Besides, it's not like I was pestering @zach915m for ziricote since the release of the original Eikon/Atticus. I mean, if I did put the idea in his head, then maybe I would be at fault.

But I didn't.

So I'm not.

Probably.
Now to put the bug of a death star cutout insert special edition Verite in ... hmmm I’m thinking Ziricote, A.Blackwood, or maybe Ash with a purple burst stain...yup purple burst stain for everything is probably the correct answer... :wink:

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #3,233 of 9,506
Death Star + purple burst on a ZMF headphone is just too much awesome. Your head would explode.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #3,234 of 9,506
Verite showed up yesterday. I'm very pleased with the tone of the Cocobolo wood of my pair, a truly beautiful headphone. I got a few hours of early listening in and it's already noticeable how good these are with detail, speed, and resolution. I listened mostly to the Universe pads yesterday but a briefly checked out the Verite pads as well.
I left them on burning to pink noise overnight and then for another 8 hours while I was at work this morning.
Listening to Infected Mushroom - B.P. Empire album right now via the ZDT Jr with the Verite pads, it's amazing how detailed they are while maintaining a completely enjoyable presentation.
I am noticing the weight of them a bit more than I expected, but probably because I haven't had any over-ear headphones for the past month.
:)

Album with some more pics.
Like these. Darker than the usual Cocobolo, these don't look that far from Zircote, which I think is great.

I found--to my surprise--that what people said about planars reacting very differently to OTLs than dynamics is totally true. On my Woo WA3 (lovely little OTL), I've now tried 4 planar headphones, and all sound quite excellent on it despite having low impedance:
  • Meze Empyrean (since sold)
  • HEX v2
  • LCD-2.1 pre-fazor
  • Ori
In particular, there is none of the bass/mid-bass bloat that one hears w/a low impedance dynamic HP on an OTL. The sound overall is fully competitive w/what I get out of various SS amps on the same headphones.

And of course, my high impedance headphones sound awesome on the WA3, as one would expect.

So IMO no need to worry about pairing a planar w/an OTL.
Sounds good, especially since many OTL's tend to be less expensive that full fledged tube amps. Now you're saying OTL's can work but would you consider them ideal pairing with planars?

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #3,236 of 9,506
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #3,237 of 9,506
Like these. Darker than the usual Cocobolo, these don't look that far from Zircote, which I think is great.

Sounds good, especially since many OTL's tend to be less expensive that full fledged tube amps. Now you're saying OTL's can work but would you consider them ideal pairing with planars?

Yes & no (sorry to be so definitive):
  • Yes because the overall resolution and musicality of the planar come through as well as with SS. Also a nice quality of control and clarity w/OTL...and nice soundstage, pretty much what you usually get from that planar HP
  • No in the sense that you'll get bigger dynamics and particularly bass impact w/a good SS amp.

When I listen to planars on the OTL, I'm not really thinking about these sonic checkmarks (ie, yes for this/no for that). The sound is very pleasing to me, very musical. But when I return the planar du jour to the V281, dynamics & bass impact are better.

Good time to admit the WA3 is not a SOTA design, not a Glenn or Cayin big/powerful tube amp. For the $$ one could hardly expect that. But it's still very pleasing to me.

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #3,238 of 9,506
I don't know what issues with the Verite we have had aside from one we've been very open about - which is that we were using an incorrect thread locker for magnesium parts which stripped some paint off the gimbals on some early sets. We have replaced every one of these parts that has been brought to our attention without question. And mind you this was for an aesthetic issue not parts breaking.

Aside from that - I actually haven't heard about a single part having issues on the Verite, and if there is a problem we always take care of it.

Hi Zach, my Pheasantwood Verite that I bought during the initial early offer has the stripped paint issue around the gimbals. Should I send it back in to you for repairs?

Oct 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #3,239 of 9,506
Hi Zach, my Pheasantwood Verite that I bought during the initial early offer has the stripped paint issue around the gimbals. Should I send it back in to you for repairs?

Yeah send me an email - only cost will be shipping.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #3,240 of 9,506
Yes & no (sorry to be so definitive):
  • Yes because the overall resolution and musicality of the planar come through as well as with SS. Also a nice quality of control and clarity w/OTL...and nice soundstage, pretty much what you usually get from that planar HP
  • No in the sense that you'll get bigger dynamics and particularly bass impact w/a good SS amp.

Basically SS vs tubes.
It does not look like a special case for planars (except for power requirements)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back