ZMF Verite Open
Dec 25, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,097 of 9,512
Yeah, Jinxy nailed it.

I'll share a pet peeve of mine with you: All this talk of headphones and their ability to create a "sound stage" really irks me sometimes. Why? Because headphones just can't. Even the best. They can't. Sorry. I understand wanting to be able to pick up on positional queues on headphones for music or gaming, but that's entirely different than getting the impression that the music is actually being played on a stage in front of you by a real band.

If you want real, honest to god staging and imaging, get a good set of speakers. It's such a night and day difference as to make one seem like an entirely different thing, and not suitable for comparison. This is why I don't understand why so many people place so much importance on "sound stage" with headphones. If I could, I would kill the use of the word "sound stage" from the headphone glossary of terms forever.

Let me put it this way - When a headphone can properly place Rebecca Pigeon's voice floating 8 feet in front of you and about 4 feet above you, with the piano, violin/cello, guitar, percussion all spread across an invisible stage behind her as they play Spanish Harlem... well, then come talk to me about sound stage in headphones. Then I'll reconsider.

(Yes, I'm aware of the Smyth A16.)

Mini-rant over. Thx.

Couldn’t disagree more. Oh the subjectivity of this hobby. To each their own.

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,098 of 9,512
No headphones have the staging of my GoldenEar Triton 2s,but I take everything, including headstage on headphones within context

Dec 25, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,099 of 9,512
Couldn’t disagree more. Oh the subjectivity of this hobby. To each their own.
This is true always. It's ok to disagree, and I respect opinions that differ.

Merry Christmas all!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,101 of 9,512
I wish there was a canjam in the Southeast US like in Florida or Georgia. I'd love to A/B my auteur with the verite.

We have fairly regular Meets in the Nashville area and an upcoming one in Louisville next March. PM me for additional info.

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,103 of 9,512
Yeah, Jinxy nailed it.

I'll share a pet peeve of mine with you: All this talk of headphones and their ability to create a "sound stage" really irks me sometimes. Why? Because headphones just can't. Even the best. They can't. Sorry. I understand wanting to be able to pick up on positional queues on headphones for music or gaming, but that's entirely different than getting the impression that the music is actually being played on a stage in front of you by a real band.

If you want real, honest to god staging and imaging, get a good set of speakers. It's such a night and day difference as to make one seem like an entirely different thing, and not suitable for comparison. This is why I don't understand why so many people place so much importance on "sound stage" with headphones. If I could, I would kill the use of the word "sound stage" from the headphone glossary of terms forever.

Let me put it this way - When a headphone can properly place Rebecca Pigeon's voice floating 8 feet in front of you and about 4 feet above you, with the piano, violin/cello, guitar, percussion all spread across an invisible stage behind her as they play Spanish Harlem... well, then come talk to me about sound stage in headphones. Then I'll reconsider.

(Yes, I'm aware of the Smyth A16.)

Mini-rant over. Thx.

"It is only a paper moon
Sailing over a cardboard sea..."​

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,105 of 9,512
Wait, are we talking soundstage, sound space or head stage? I can't find all these on the Audiophile definition page. I'm so hosed!
Audio definitions: we make them up as we go along.
:smile_phones:
It's a good point though, many audio definitions aren't fully agreed upon (which kinda negates calling them 'definitions' now doesn't it?) Partially because so much is subjective I think.

I usually find it helpful to get to know who is making the statement, then I have an idea of their preferences & where they are coming from.

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,106 of 9,512
So what do you call it, when the sound is wider or further out of the cups? I really like this, and love what my Ori, can do.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #1,107 of 9,512
So what do you call it, when the sound is wider or further out of the cups? I really like this, and love what my Ori, can do.

I think we call it "soundstage" - and since this is headphone forum and we all know the Verite is a headphone, we can all feel comfortable the context is clear and obvious: headphones.

Dec 27, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,108 of 9,512
I think we call it "soundstage" - and since this is headphone forum and we all know the Verite is a headphone, we can all feel comfortable the context is clear and obvious: headphones.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,109 of 9,512

My 0.02 cents, I’ve always preferred “headstage” for headphone listening, and reserve soundstage for traditional speakers.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,110 of 9,512
My 0.02 cents, I’ve always preferred “headstage” for headphone listening, and reserve soundstage for traditional speakers.

While that's your preference, you're likely not confused on meaning when you hear "soundstage" in reference to the verite on this forum about headphones. Just making the point that there's so much in audiophilia to quibble about, as long as a term's context is clear, we should leave sleeping dogs lie.*

*As a side note, I prefer people pronounce forte - a person's skill - properly ("fort"), and say "nauseated" - you feel sick - rather than nauseous (you make other people sick), but I usually don't correct them because (a.) it's annoying to be corrected, and (b.) I get what they mean, and (c.) it's usually kinda humorous even if only to me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back