ZMF Verite Open
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #527 of 9,512
From some measurements of this available here and there, people seem to agree that this headphone is colored and sounds less balanced and neutral than Auteur.
Rather than paying about 2.5k for a colored headphone, I would rather wait a neutral tuning of Vertie, if coming (I speculate that it will be Zach's next release).

Over 2k, I demand a headphone sounds very accurate and balanced.
Funny - you make it sound as if non-neutral headphones are a bad thing... for me, neutral equals boring or dry.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #529 of 9,512
Funny - you make it sound as if non-neutral headphones are a bad thing... for me, neutral equals boring or dry.
Agree, depending on taste colour can be great and typically I find neutral less than engaging. Different strokes for different folks as they say. Glad there are headphones for all of us.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #530 of 9,512
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #532 of 9,512
Over 2k, I demand a headphone sounds very accurate and balanced.

The Verite has been an interesting experience for me as a headphone creator, as the opinions both subjective and objective have varied largely based on each individuals gear, preferences and experiance. Not to say what listeners have heard is different than what I expected, but just that each user has expectations for what the headphone should be to meet xxx criteria.

My goal as someone who loves all music, and especially music made with acoustic instruments is always to create headphones that capture accurate qualities of performance and each of our headphones does that in different ways and the path to me finalizing those tunings is done through both a lot of objective measurements and subjective listening tests.

If I've learned one thing it's that one person's neutral and balanced is another's cold or warm. This holds true through all of our headphones and our owners' specific tastes.

For me the Verite is tuned to my tastes of what I'd call musical, balanced, and with slight downward linearity that lends itself to detail in a lifelike manner. For others and their gear it may differ from my experience with the Verite and I try to have alternate earpads for our models to allow for that subjective variance.

I hope you guys like it!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #533 of 9,512
I see nothing about any of the claims he made about the verite....
Oh, you have to look somewhere else to find that. The consensus was ‘Japanese colored’.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #534 of 9,512
That’s definitely a ‘your ears, my ears’ thing. I’ve seen several impressions describe Auteur as ‘neutral, lifeless, boring’ where my ears hear them as precise, detailed lively, thrilling.

BTW, anybody notice that @zach915m has more likes than posts?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #535 of 9,512
That’s definitely a ‘your ears, my ears’ thing. I’ve seen several impressions describe Auteur as ‘neutral, lifeless, boring’ where my ears hear them as precise, detailed lively, thrilling.

BTW, anybody notice that @zach915m has more likes than posts?
Yeah the Auteur is a real, em, Auteur. You can make it what you like. Teak with Auteur pads is probably as close to neutral as you’ll get with a ZMF but it’s still not flat neutral. Real instruments have a natural warmth to them, and Zach’s tonewoods and biodyna drivers capture this beautifully. Verite wont be neutral but you can guarantee it’ll be every bit as natural and delicious as its brethren.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #536 of 9,512
Yeah the Auteur is a real, em, Auteur. You can make it what you like. Teak with Auteur pads is probably as close to neutral as you’ll get with a ZMF but it’s still not flat neutral. Real instruments have a natural warmth to them, and Zach’s tonewoods and biodyna drivers capture this beautifully. Verite wont be neutral but you can guarantee it’ll be every bit as natural and delicious as its brethren.

I don't know whether there is any consensus about what constitutes the meaning of 'natural.'
But in my book, balanced, neutral = natural.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #537 of 9,512
Zach no doubt has more "likes" than "posts" because he communicates often & effectively w/his customer base, absent any ego or judgement of others.

I know of just 3 designer/mfrs who take the time to explain themselves/answer questions:
  • Zach (here and in other threads/websites)
  • Antonio Meze (Empyrean thread)
  • Alex Cavalli (Platinum thread).
Don't know how others feel about this, but I really appreciate this kind of communication.

Easy to define "natural" -- it's the opposite of unnatural. Only partly joking...think of live music, particularly unamplified or lightly miked instruments & voices in a real acoustic space: then imagine that same music being reproduced by a headphone. "Natural" simply means closest to the original performance/space...and by inference, it also means least colored, exaggerated, or spotlighted.

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #539 of 9,512
I know of just 3 designer/mfrs who take the time to explain themselves/answer questions:
  • Zach (here and in other threads/websites)
  • Antonio Meze (Empyrean thread)
  • Alex Cavalli (Platinum thread).
Don't know how others feel about this, but I really appreciate this kind of communication.

To be fair, all companies w/ a presence on HF does this well.. Ken @ Campfire, Joe @ Abyss, Justin @ HeadAmp, Trevor @ Norne, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back