ZMF Verite Open
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #481 of 9,496
Anyone on the loaner program live in Florida !?!?

No,why,is that an invitation to move in?!
Yall have no idea how much I hate East Coast winters! :sob:

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #483 of 9,496
Yeah,its snowing here at the moment. *sigh*

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #486 of 9,496
Yeah well I guess its all relative... Born and raised in SoCal and living the majority of my adult life in the Carribean and Thailand,one becomes accustomed to anything below 70 degrees to be chilly.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #487 of 9,496
3 feet of snow and counting. Love Colorado.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #489 of 9,496
Snow is that white fluffy stuff. right? Just making sure - none here, and I am not even sure it has a word for it in my native language... :wink:

Nov 15, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #490 of 9,496
@gLer

Ive been doing extensive a/b tonight with the Verite thru my GOTL vs. Sansui 881. Here are my thoughts:

There are def differences,but theyre subtle,and an argument can be made in favor of either,mostly subjective.

With the GOTL you get added three dimensionality that is really great. Its there on the 881,but to a lesser degree. The width of the staging is very close.
With the 881 its actually slightly warmer than my GOTL(tube choices play a big role in that). There are some songs where I actually prefer the 881s presentation. For example:

When the bass and drums kick in at around 1:11 on the GOTL it gets a little messy.Im assuming its a combo of the wood and the tubes getting a bit too romantic and muddying up the rest of the mix. Thru the 881,95% of that congestion goes away and the rest of the mix comes through loud and clear.

As far as the rest of the sound goes,the bass is still thunderous and deep. Guitars,synths,pianos still pop and sound great. You might be able to make a case either way,but its very close even doing direct a/b ing.

So in summary you need not worry about not being able to enjoy the Verite to a very high level w/o tubes. To be clear,you need not buy an 881 specifically. Many vintage receivers do excellent jobs driving high ohm headphones(and planars). It just so happens the 881 is my personal favorite of the several that I own.

Hope this eases your mind.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #491 of 9,496
@gLer

Ive been doing extensive a/b tonight with the Verite thru my GOTL vs. Sansui 881. Here are my thoughts:

There are def differences,but theyre subtle,and an argument can be made in favor of either,mostly subjective.

With the GOTL you get added three dimensionality that is really great. Its there on the 881,but to a lesser degree. The width of the staging is very close.
With the 881 its actually slightly warmer than my GOTL(tube choices play a big role in that). There are some songs where I actually prefer the 881s presentation. For example:

When the bass and drums kick in at around 1:11 on the GOTL it gets a little messy.Im assuming its a combo of the wood and the tubes getting a bit too romantic and muddying up the rest of the mix. Thru the 881,95% of that congestion goes away and the rest of the mix comes through loud and clear.

As far as the rest of the sound goes,the bass is still thunderous and deep. Guitars,synths,pianos still pop and sound great. You might be able to make a case either way,but its very close even doing direct a/b ing.

So in summary you need not worry about not being able to enjoy the Verite to a very high level w/o tubes. To be clear,you need not buy an 881 specifically. Many vintage receivers do excellent jobs driving high ohm headphones(and planars). It just so happens the 881 is my personal favorite of the several that I own.

Hope this eases your mind.

It does indeed, and thanks for taking the time to do that comparison (with my earlier comments in mind). Would you say the Atticus is more tube-picky than the Verite? The Atticus was the basis for my initial comments; I've heard Auteur off a good solid state and it sounds fantastic. Off course as I replied to Zach earlier, I'm splitting hairs because even the Atticus sounds better than most headphones off solid state, but it's kinda like taking a big V8 for a pleasure cruise around the neighbourhood when you know full well it can rip up the road :p

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #492 of 9,496
I think the Atticus + tubes is a subjective topic. Lets face it,the Atticus makes zero attempt to sound neutral,and when you add tubes to that warm romantic sound it can have more romance than I prefer to have with anything other than my wife.
With some genres tubes are the clear winner,and then with other genres(punk,thrash,melodeath,goa trance)the cup reflection+tube gooeyness can detract(for me) from my enjoyment of a given track. Thats just my .02 and im sure others can make valid arguments to counter mine.

For me the biggest gain from tubes is reverb and 3D staging. If you can live without those two things in the same quantity,then dont sweat your aversion to tubes.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #493 of 9,496
I chose to go with PEN with vapor deposed Be for a couple reason's:

1. The same as you state above, there's a sharp nature to pure Be and many metal drivers that didn't totally gel with my aural taste. I found pure Be material for actually a lesser up front cost on R/D and material. But it just didn't sound the way I imagined for a Be ZMF.

2. The combination of PEN (Polyethylene Naphthalate) and Be brought a stiffness between that of the Atticus driver and the auteur driver where it's nodal enough to sound very punchy and stiff enough to "surround" you with somewhat planar like sound in a dynamic.

They are quite different. I didn't want to come out with a headphone that replaced another. Not my intention in building these. Remember I have to expand my personal collection of headphones too haha!
“Planar like sound” - love the sound of this Zach! In my brief intense search going from HD 650’s to hearing Utopia- thinking that was “it” then at canjam being a bit put off by a grainyness of Utopia there, liking mr speakers top planar offerings, then listening to the Auteurs striking a sweet spot of higher end detail with such a refined almost planar sound. The be speed with a planar like sound with beauty and craftsmanship and artist voicing - look forward to hearing these!! Bowing in your general direction :)

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #495 of 9,496
We're six hours away from preorder start! Who's ordering a pair on day-one? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back