ZMF Verite Open
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,006 of 9,510
I think it has some of the best staging in the entire zmf lineup. The Auteur might edge it out in width, but not by much. That's my take on it anyway, and I have both sitting in front of me.

I feel like the lower mids & midbass make some sounds seem closer than they are. The Auteur, being more linear, doesn’t have that issue. I feel like flattening it out with EQ made it feel a bit wider. Depth is certainly best in class and imaging is very strong as well.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,007 of 9,510
Well, he describes the Verite as intimate, not necessarily small or confined; then again he describes the Auteur as wide and holographic (which it is). He used both on SS. I use SS. If I do the math, I reckon Auteur is much more at home with SS than Verite, which seems to be supported by the initial (glowing) Verite reviews that had one thing in common: high-end tube amps.

For the record, I feel like the best pure synergies so far have been with hybrids like the CTH and Liquid Platinum. YMMV, of course. It was still the best on the Manley Absolute, but that’s a megabuck amp, so no surprise there.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,008 of 9,510
I think equipment can affect staging and width... Which means Verite scales with source equipment... Maybe it needs good "power"

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,013 of 9,510
Looks like the verites will start shipping next week! (By email)

Hopefully I can give some impressions when it arrives. Hoping to bring it to the schiitr and do some impressions with the schiit amps there
I'd love to hear about your Verite in the Schiitr!

Seriously, looking forward...thx

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #1,014 of 9,510
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,015 of 9,510
Personally I'm a speed addict. It's why I love my planars. So to get that in a ZMF can is a bit of a dream come true.
For the record ZMF does offer planars, although since my Auteur arrived my Ori doesn't get much head time....

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,016 of 9,510
Delete

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,017 of 9,510
I'd love to hear about your Verite in the Schiitr!

Seriously, looking forward...thx

This thread has it all...liver sausage w/incomprehensible German titles; bathroom humor; millennial entitlement.

Regardless, I'll hear the Verite at CanJam, hopefully in some quiet room where I can actually hear it.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,018 of 9,510
I'm concerned I may have made the wrong decision on the verité. I've been through quite a few headphones and my preferred sound sig i can't seem to find all in one headphone. I like the detail, openess, air, soundstage of the hd800S but ultimately found it too bright. I've heard the utopia and really liked it except no soundstage. I'm worried the verite may be too dark/warm/and damped for me. Also I've seen a couple reviews saying the soundstage isnt that big or wide. Ugh

Hifiman Arya, but you will get more liquid and less dynamic sound

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,019 of 9,510
Regardless, I'll hear the Verite at CanJam, hopefully in some quiet room where I can actually hear it.

I get that getting to hear the Verite at a meet environment is prolly the only way to hear them,but IMO these headphones require more time,song selections,and the ability to really close your eyes and sink into the music to fully appreciate them.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,020 of 9,510
I get that getting to hear the Verite at a meet environment is prolly the only way to hear them,but IMO these headphones require more time,song selections,and the ability to really close your eyes and sink into the music to fully appreciate them.

Of course you're right. It's insane to make any judgements about endgame HPs even in a quiet show setting w/10-15" total ear-time.

Evidently I need more Head-Fi'ers who own endgame headphones to move nearby so I can beseech them for a loaner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back