ZMF Verite Open
Dec 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #931 of 9,512
Keep in mind it seems he only really tested them with solid states, not the TOTL tube amps most early reviewers had access to. That makes a BIG difference with ZMF cans, especially for the 'regular' reviewers that default to high-end tubes over anything SS. Not that I take him at his word, but I kinda like that he'll be reviewing the ZMFs through the solid state prism; makes it more relevant to me.

I definitely noticed that as well. Although a lot of people are also saying they prefer the Verite on certain SS amps like the GSX-MK2 or even Gilmore Lite MK2. I'm just hoping it pairs well with my IHA-6 haha.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #932 of 9,512
Keep in mind it seems he only really tested them with solid states, not the TOTL tube amps most early reviewers had access to. That makes a BIG difference with ZMF cans, especially for the 'regular' reviewers that default to high-end tubes over anything SS. Not that I take him at his word, but I kinda like that he'll be reviewing the ZMFs through the solid state prism; makes it more relevant to me.
Since I got my LP, I can see where you're coming from. I don't have Verite, but my Auteur definitely change character from LP vs SS (BHA-1). Increased musicality, more bass impact, bigger stage, slightly less treble energy -- all with LP/Genalex Gold LIons. Not HUGE differences, but more than just a small delta.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #933 of 9,512
Yeah he isnt hearing the Verite to its fullest potential. Bass light? LOL!!! Thats absurd and probably due to a lack of burn-in and poor amp matching. They slam so damn hard im selling my Atticus cuz I am getting my bass fix from my incoming Verite.

I dunno what amp he is using but at the risk of sounding like a broken record,a good vintage receiver brings the shock and awe to the Verite,and on the GOTL as well.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #935 of 9,512
I can't take zeos seriously. After he said the HD660S had a big soundstage. I lost all hope. Coming from everyone who reviewed on both SS and tube says the verite has the biggest soundstage in the zmf lineup. Literally everyone. Most people prefer the verite on SS.

I'll be doing a video review and posting it here once mine arrives, similar to my other ones. So expect a good 35+ minutes of details and comparisons haha.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #937 of 9,512
I dunno what amp he is using but at the risk of sounding like a broken record,a good vintage receiver brings the shock and awe to the Verite,and on the GOTL as well.

I trust your impressions. Gives me total confidence that my Sansui AU-717 will pair very well with Verite. But then again, I know my amp and it sounds just sublime with just about every headphone and speaker I've used it with.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #938 of 9,512

He plugs his hps in everything that's for sure and he has some good tube amps as well.
He also replied in the comments saying he burned the crap out of them.
So it maybe a QC issue because his impression is the OPPOSITE to the others regarding the bass and SS.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #939 of 9,512
He plugs his hps in everything that's for sure and he has some good tube amps as well.
He also replied in the comments saying he burned the **** out of them.
So it maybe a QC issue because his impression is the OPPOSITE to the others regarding the bass and SS.

Maybe, but I've become increasingly more aware that his standards for evaluation are not even close to those of others who have heard it both on here and in other communities. For all I know "burned the **** out of them" means he listened to them for a few hours.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #940 of 9,512
I'm kind of curious why many people prefer Verite w/ SS when the rest of ZMF's 300ohm cans seem to be unanimously preferred w/ tubes.

In my time with them SS provided a cleaner decay vs. tubes,but a less slamming tube roll fixed that.
I prefer tubes w/ the Verite for the crazy staging and depth.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #941 of 9,512
Why do you guys make me go watch Zeos? That's just cruel. Anyway...

So, he wants TH900 levels of bass from the Verite. A mostly closed bio-driver bass cannon -vs- an open BE driver. He's an idiot.

The most intelligent thing he said during the whole review is "I'm just some a$$h0le on the internet".

I seem to recall he did a freaking terrible review on the Atticus and Eikon too. Rushed the review, said a whole bunch of nothing, and basically did a sub-par job in every aspect. Seems par for the course with him and ZMF. For example, did you hear the sound demo he did on the Verite? The two channels don't even sound the same, leading me to believe his rig is crap or his placement of the headphone is crap, or both. Let's go with both.

Edit - Reviews which state opinions contrary to mine, or to the common consensus do not bother me. They are usually more valuable than the group-think opinions, in that it's good to get different perspectives and lines of thinking. That is, if they are done with any level of competency - something I strongly question here.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #942 of 9,512
Why do you guys make me go watch Zeos? That's just cruel. Anyway...

So, he wants TH900 levels of bass from the Verite. A mostly closed bio-driver bass cannon -vs- an open BE driver. He's an idiot.

The most intelligent thing he said during the whole review is "I'm just some a$$h0le on the internet".

I seem to recall he did a freaking terrible review on the Atticus and Eikon too. Rushed the review, said a whole bunch of nothing, and basically did a sub-par job in every aspect. Seems par for the course with him and ZMF.
What do you think about his take on the soundstage

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #943 of 9,512
I like Zeos as an entertainer. His videos usually give me a good laugh and I find them interesting. I found several artist that I now enjoy through them. On the other hand, I take everything he says with a grain of salt. I find Metal571, Aornic, and Currawong are better at conveying what a headphone sounds like.

Even if Zeos has a big following most people who are audiophiles know about Head-Fi. We have fantastic reviewers here and people who will give their honest thoughts. Most people who drop that kind of cash have also owned several mid to hifi headphones. Once they also start to give back to the community with their reviews it’ll normalize itself out.

Dec 11, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #944 of 9,512
What do you think about his take on the soundstage
I think the Verite has one of the best symmetrical or balanced stage/imaging combos in any headphone I've heard. (It's hard for me to choose the right words here, so try to catch my meaning and not get super literal with what words I pick, ok?) The Verite seems so natural in where instruments are placed in space that, to me, the Utopia and HD800 are unnaturally closed in or wide by comparison. Verite seems very uniform in all directions, and that lends to a much easier listening experience because the brain isn't thrown a curveball when an instrument suddenly comes from some unnaturally disembodied space far to your left in relation to the rest of the music. I also strongly disagree with Zeos that all the sounds are crunched into this tiny space with the Verite. They aren't.

Also, the Verite pair I have have significantly improved and smoothed out tonaly over the month I've had them. I think they've reached a state of equilibrium, as I haven't detected any bass or mid changes recently. I strongly believe this is the type of driver that is going to need time to settle in before they should be given a serious review.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #945 of 9,512
I find Zeos reviews on lower end products are more accurate then higher end ones. Seems he couldn't justify the law of diminishing return.

I used his review on Utopia as common benchmark seems he preferred to save money than getting the last bit of details other cans couldn't give which is similar to Verite imo that he couldn't justify or didn't notice the extra details Utopia and Verite give to listeners whose hobby is chasing singers saliva

Users who are viewing this thread

Back