ZMF Verite Open
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #841 of 9,512
You beat me to the punch! My Verite review just went live.

Now this Dave Hanson guy,whoever he is,can flat out write! Great,great review!

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #843 of 9,512
Fun read! Did you find the Verite easier to drive than the Auteur? Like less volume needed w/ same amp. I'm not positive on their sensitivity difference.

When I was directly comparing them, they were very close.

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #844 of 9,512
Fun read! Did you find the Verite easier to drive than the Auteur? Like less volume needed w/ same amp. I'm not positive on their sensitivity difference.

They are within about 1-2dB sensitivity-wise. Both very high sensitivity in that 98-100db/mW range.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #845 of 9,512
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #846 of 9,512
Two things to consider. Firstly I suspect the Auteur is being woefully underserviced by the Micro iFi - not that it is necessarily a bad amp or bad pairing, but I found that as good as the Auteur can sound with mid-fi gear, it starts to shine and sounds phenomenal on higher end gear. This includes, amongst others, wider and more articular soundstage, instrument nuance, vocal texture, and all round heft.

I love my BL to death. It's the last piece of gear I'd ever get rid of. That said, you are absolutely right. The Auteur sounds drastically better on my 28.38. The difference is substantial. On the BL, the Auteur sounds very good. But, that's it. Just very good. On the Audio-gd, it sounds downright amazing. Unfortunately, the Auteur joins the LCD-X as headphones that I just won't be pairing with my BL. Neither comes close to their full potential with the iFi, and it's very difficult not to notice the downgrade in quality.

I think you nailed the specifics of why the match-up doesn't work wonderfully, but I also found that the BL lacks the resolution of a higher-end amp and makes the Auteur sound glarey and peaky in the vocals. Now, that is IMO and I will readily admit that I am more sensitive than most to that band of frequency, but with the iFi the Auteur is just too forward for me. That's a problem I do not have with my Audio-gd.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #847 of 9,512
I love my BL to death. It's the last piece of gear I'd ever get rid of. That said, you are absolutely right. The Auteur sounds drastically better on my 28.38. The difference is substantial. On the BL, the Auteur sounds very good. But, that's it. Just very good. On the Audio-gd, it sounds downright amazing. Unfortunately, the Auteur joins the LCD-X as headphones that I just won't be pairing with my BL. Neither comes close to their full potential with the iFi, and it's very difficult not to notice the downgrade in quality.

I think you nailed the specifics of why the match-up doesn't work wonderfully, but I also found that the BL lacks the resolution of a higher-end amp and makes the Auteur sound glarey and peaky in the vocals. Now, that is IMO and I will readily admit that I am more sensitive than most to that band of frequency, but with the iFi the Auteur is just too forward for me. That's a problem I do not have with my Audio-gd.
I can second you on that. When I had the iDSD BL I prefered it more with, believe it or not, the Koss PortaPro and the HE500. With the Auteur I too found it fatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble after 10-15mins..and that was with the 2K cable that adds a nice smoothing to the overall sound. Now with the Holo Cyan it's another story. It shines and lets all that R-2R NOS sweetness come through...even better from the balanced output.
When I'll get the Veritè, I think the Cyan's OS mode with the little extra sparkle and extension up top would complement well the different tuning.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #848 of 9,512
Finally got to spend some quality time with the Verite over the last several days. Just for clarity purposes, the pair I have are Pheasantwood and they have the new Magnesium chassis. The weight (or lack thereof) is quite impressive and these are around 50 grams heavier than the Silkwood's! I've also been mostly listening with a Michanikos cable, although I did do a comparison with the Atmos/2K cables (more on that later). My chain is FLAC/TIDAL>Singxer SU-1>Yggdrasil A1>Various Amps.

Amp Pairings w/Verite: I ran the Verite off 8 different amps: Woo WA2, THX AAA 789, Wells Audio Milo, MCTH, Cavalli Liquid Gold, Liquid Carbon v1, Liquid Platinum and Liquid Spark. I didn't find the Verite to be that amp dependent, or at least not nearly as much as say the Atticus. I actually found the Verite enjoyable on pretty much everything I tried it with, although the Spark and stock MCTH clearly showed their limitations. They are however $100 and $200 respectively, so I doubt too many people would pair their Vertie with them. The newly released THX AAA 789 is a very uncolored amp as advertised. I used this for a lot of testing and it’s power/neutrality let the Verite’s technical abilities shine through. Personally I probably wouldn’t use it all that much with the Verite though. The Liquid Carbon and Liquid Platinum both add some Cavalli magic, which helps fill out the midrange while retaining most of the Verite’s attributes. I just got the Platinum in today, so it hasn’t been broken in as well as the stock tubes. The WA2 was a favorite pairing of mine, especially when I rolled out the sweeter and warmer GEC 6080WA tubes for classic Tung Sol 5998’s. The later tubes really let the Verite’s dynamics shine, while providing some blissed out tube sound and increased soundstage. Finally the last two would be the Milo and LAu. Both are powerful reference solid state amps that really let the Verite let loose. For my tastes, I really want to bring the speed and dynamics out of the Verite as much as possible, and both these amps do just that. So really depending on what sound you’re looking for, you can easily pair the Verite up with an amp that will highlight it’s unique qualities.

Cable pairing: I’ve had a chance to compare Zach’s upgraded cable offerings (Michanikos, Atmos and 2K) with the Verite. Over the past several years, I’ve found that cables can certainly yield sonic improvements, but feel they should still be the last thing you upgrade in your chain. That being said, first up is the Michanikos, which I personally thought paired best with the Verite. The pure silver seemed to help accentuate the blazing fast drivers of the Verite and help retain it’s crisp transient attack. The Michanikos also helped highlight the exceptional detail levels of the Verite, while giving it a little extra spark. The 2K was quite impressive and kept the detail levels of the Michanikos, but provided a smoother, slightly warmer sound. I could see depending on your musical tastes or gear chain, the 2K might be a better match. It’s also a beautiful, beefy cable that feels extra premium. Lastly, the Atmos was no slouch and rightfully met somewhere in the middle between the other two cables. I’ve always been a fan of quality copper/spc cables, not only for their sonic attributes, but for their ergonomics. Out of the three, the Atmos is certainly the lightest and flexible offering. All in all, I don’t really think you can go wrong with either of these cables from ZMF.

Vertie and Auteur comparison: This was a very interesting comparison and really shed some light on the enigmatic Verite. For the comparison I used the THX AAA 789 Amp, Michanikos cable and Verite pads on the Verite and Auteur Pads on the Auteur. My Auteur is Blackwood and as I mentioned earlier, the Verite is Pheasantwood.

Verite vs Auteur: First thing that is immediately noticeable is the Be drivers of the Verite are FAST. Way faster than the Auteur’s, which aren’t a slouch by any means. The Verite wins in quite a few technical aspects due to its drivers. Quicker transients, micro details, superior instrument separation, bass speed and bass texture. It also has very captivating staging, that’s almost 3D sounding. The Verite overall is more dynamic, but yet at the same time has more finesse than the Auteur.

Auteur vs Verite: The Auteur has a fuller, more cohesive overall sound than the Verite. It has slightly weightier bass with more decay and reverb. Tonality of the Auteur is smoother, but yet is a tad more extended in the highs. It also has a slightly wider soundstage, but with more traditional imaging compared to the Verite. I found it to be also more forgiving on poorly recorded songs.

After all is said and done, I wouldn’t call either the Auteur or Verite better than the other. In fact track after track I kept going back and forth deciding which one I liked better. Both are top notch offerings from Zach, and I feel personal preference is going to win out in the end. As mentioned before, the Verite has some very unique attributes that very few headphones have. For that alone, it makes it worthwhile for me to add them to my stable along with the Auteur.

Feel free to ask me any additional questions in the thread or PM me. I also plan on comparing the Verite with my Utopia soon. You can check out my gear list in my profile if you’d like to me to do any other comparisons as well. I’m exhausted trying to finish this up, so forgive me if I made any errors or didn’t make things clear enough.

Great review.. Looking forward to your comparison to Utopia.. As fellow Utopia owner, I'll like to see the difference between Be vapor vs pure Be drivers

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #850 of 9,512
My slightly disjointed review of the Verite is up. I couldve used another month,if not more,to fully wrap my head around these headphones,but they were sent back to ZMF today,so it was now or never,so to speak.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #852 of 9,512
For those who had listened to the Verite, how would you say they sound in solid state vs tube? I keep hearing that they love tube amplification, in what way? I have an amp that is switchable between tube and solid state, but if it is so much better with tube, may ditch it and get a Woo Audio WA22 which looks beautiful to me. Thoughts?

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #853 of 9,512
My slightly disjointed review of the Verite is up. I couldve used another month,if not more,to fully wrap my head around these headphones,but they were sent back to ZMF today,so it was now or never,so to speak.

I have a Glenn coming in the next couple weeks and I have C3G option and 6 tube configuration setup .
So what tube setup did you like best with the Verite?
I have some 6080's and C3G's , shipping configuration is going be 13D1 driver and 6BX7s GE a Pheasant wood version on order from Zach.
I also own a Auteur's in Teak and was is favorite setup for those headphones?

Hopefully the tubes you like don;t cost $300 a pair .

Thanks

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #854 of 9,512
I have a Glenn coming in the next couple weeks and I have C3G option and 6 tube configuration setup .
So what tube setup did you like best with the Verite?
I have some 6080's and C3G's , shipping configuration is going be 13D1 driver and 6BX7s GE a Pheasant wood version on order from Zach.
I also own a Auteur's in Teak and was is favorite setup for those headphones?

Hopefully the tubes you like don;t cost $300 a pair .

Thanks

Nah man,Im using Seimans C3gs,2 RCA 6080s(less than $20.00 shipped) and a Mullard GZ32 rectifier.
The 6 pack of 6BX7s were the tubes giving me problems. They sound brilliant with the Auteur,but it was much,much too much bass on the Verite IMO. YMMV.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #855 of 9,512

@Monsterzero
Do you still plan on reviewing the Auteur? Interested as your initial plans were to go that route.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back