ZMF Verite Open
Nov 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #736 of 9,494
Don’t understand why there is so much discussion about the term ‘laid back.’
You can just say Vertie has laid-back (or recessed) presence region or laid-back upper mid/lower treble, or laid-back treble, or etc.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #737 of 9,494
Cleaner how?

Also, it's a bit heavier right?

I dont know on either count. My pair that I have is the silk. Im guessing its a harder wood,and thus quicker decay,but that is just a guess.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #738 of 9,494
PS. Poor Aeolus. It’s like the TV show they’ll release at the same time as the GoT finale - good, maybe even great, but no-one noticed.

When ZMF comes out with a big dollar flagship model with an all new driver type the hype and interest will of course be on it,but dont sleep on the Aeolus. It is a great sounding headphone.
If you loved the tone and slam of the Atticus but thought it could use better imaging,detail,air and versatility youre gonna love the Aeolus.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #739 of 9,494
You can just say Vertie has laid-back (or recessed) presence region or laid-back upper mid/lower treble, or laid-back treble, or etc.

Neither do I.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #741 of 9,494
There's been 4 of us explaining why. Other people who have heard it wouldn't describe it that way, that's been consistently the point.

Anyway I keep revisiting the measurements & am becoming more afraid of that upper midrange dip. I hope when I listen it doesn't bother me as much as the graphs suggest it will but if it does I'll be pretty sad.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #742 of 9,494
I'd like to bring attention to a different topic which could be related to this-critical and non critical listening. The auteur are the first headphones I tried that allow me to be satisfied both when I want to pay attention to how they sound (dynamics, timbre, impact), both to when I want to just get myself lost in the music... I guess it is the tuning of the headphones that makes this possible. Would love to hear if the verite has this same quality :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #743 of 9,494
There's been 4 of us explaining why. Other people who have heard it wouldn't describe it that way, that's been consistently the point.

Anyway I keep revisiting the measurements & am becoming more afraid of that upper midrange dip. I hope when I listen it doesn't bother me as much as the graphs suggest it will but if it does I'll be pretty sad.

You could try it with a more 'neutral' can and then compensate the curve to simulate the dip? Just a thought. I might try this with my Andromeda tonight to get an idea of the type of sig.

Nov 24, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #744 of 9,494

I wouldn’t worry about it too much until you try it. Zach dialed it back to a level that people liked better based on early feedback.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #745 of 9,494
I wouldn’t worry about it too much until you try it. Zach dialed it back to a level that people liked better based on early feedback.
I heard the early version at RMAF, and the dip was much bigger. It's dialed in very nicely now. Don't let the measurements fool you. If this wasn't measured by people I know and who's ears I trust, I'd tell them their rig is trash. It doesn't sound like the measurements show.

Enigma. Just saying.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #746 of 9,494
When ZMF comes out with a big dollar flagship model with an all new driver type the hype and interest will of course be on it,but dont sleep on the Aeolus. It is a great sounding headphone.
If you loved the tone and slam of the Atticus but thought it could use better imaging,detail,air and versatility youre gonna love the Aeolus.
Yeah I’m sure the Aeolus will be a hit, and the Atticus definitely needs each of those ‘improvements’ in my book. Pity the Aeolus is the ugly ducking of the family (as far as a ZMF can is ‘ugly’, meaning it’s still better looking than most headphones). Just can’t quite connect with the flat grille and exposed screws. A more luscious wood like Cocobolo will definitely help its cause.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #747 of 9,494
Just out of interest and from a technical perspective, how does Zach ‘dial in’ or ‘dial back’ the tuning of particular part of a FR on a headphone. It’s not like he’s programming flash rom or something, so how is it physically achieved? Driver distance, damping, angles? Would be fascinating to see a YouTube video of how it’s done.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #748 of 9,494
Just out of interest and from a technical perspective, how does Zach ‘dial in’ or ‘dial back’ the tuning of particular part of a FR on a headphone. It’s not like he’s programming flash rom or something, so how is it physically achieved? Driver distance, damping, angles? Would be fascinating to see a YouTube video of how it’s done.

All those things make a difference and pads of course too. In this case, I believe it was just adding some damping material in a particular spot that made the change.

Nov 25, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #749 of 9,494
All those things make a difference and pads of course too. In this case, I believe it was just adding some damping material in a particular spot that made the change.

Don't lie. Please. We deserve better.

He puts the headphones into the magical ZMF EQ machine, recites a musical incantation, and presto! Tuned headphones.

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #750 of 9,494
Maybe we can start discussing which wood is best for verite ? Blackwood ? Cocobolo? etc....

I'm for Cocobolo. That's some tasty looking wood. And Blackwood? I'll just say that my Auteur is Blackwood and it looks fantastic.
For me the best looking woods including the Padauk (contrasts great with the black parts).

Damn, da hell happened in here?!? :laughing:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Zach said that the wood type used on the Verite has the least effect of any of his headphones?
The wood mostly affects the tone and timbre in general. It gives that small particular nuance. As for speed, frequency response and distortion, those are majorly attributed to the driver itself.

I should add wood thickness, internal geometry, complessive cabinet air volume, air slot diameters etc. I've designed and built speaker cabinets in the past and from that experience playing with one of those variables had a perceptible effect on sound.

Don't lie. Please. We deserve better.

He puts the headphones into the magical ZMF EQ machine, recites a musical incantation, and presto! Tuned headphones.
Wasn't that the elf's job? I see...reduced work-force this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back