ZMF Verite Open
Nov 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #721 of 9,506
Oh Dear...

Hansotek has more knowledge on headphones than anyone I know.

That being said, laid back is the last thing I would say about the Verite. To my ears its quite an intense way to experience music.
It is very hard for me to put what I hear into words in a way that conveys to a reader an accurate description of a given sound,but I will try.

Musical,slamming,intense,subtle,bombastic,delicate,heavy handed all at the same time.

I mean, I would agree with that. I meant laid-back in the traditional sense relative to Diana Krall’s vocal presentation. Go listen to “All or Nothing At All” on Auteur and Verite - the upper mid on Auteur will be more upfront lending more presence, air and “upfrontness” to her voice. Then listen to it on Verite. It is less upfront. It has a touch more nuance and detail on a micro level, but it shares more of the stage with Christian McBride’s upright bass. It’s just a different tuning with a different relative balance between the fundamentals and the harmonics. It seemed important to note.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #722 of 9,506
I have nothing of value to add regarding Diana Krall, but you have never given me bad advice,so I take your word for it.
I have some older jazz in my collection,but usually when that genre is played in my mancave its thru speakers as background music when Im doing something else.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #723 of 9,506
It's absolutely not true that attack/detail have nothing to do with the tuning though. Zach himself said he listened to the Utopia while tuning the Verite & it was a large part of why he picked Be for the driver in the first place. Where he said this isn't allowed to be posted here, but if you PM me I can give you a source for it.

Haha no I know where it was posted. I read it too. And yeah I wasn't referrong to that part in my previous post. Just the confusion about terms.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #724 of 9,506
This is false. Driver design/type, cup design, damping, ear pads ALL effect and have something to do with tuning a headphone. If this had nothing to do with tuning, we'd all be using the same exact driver and other things.

If one specific part of the Verite is laid back compared to the Auteur and that's how you define it, cool. I was just really confused on that impression. If one specific aspect of the sound is laid back, as you've said, that's just different than how I've heard the term laid back used.

Thanks for the clarification.

It was poorly worded on my part. I mean, you can make a headphone that's warm and fast or bright and fast. Or bright and slow or warm and slow. You implied an odd correlation between upper midrange volume and driver speed in your previous post and I was like "Huh???" Probably just a case of us both being a little two ambiguous with our language in that exchange.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #725 of 9,506
I have nothing of value to add regarding Diana Krall, but you have never given me bad advice,so I take your word for it.
I have some older jazz in my collection,but usually when that genre is played in my mancave its thru speakers as background music when Im doing something else.

I was expecting you to say, "Don't you try and make me listen to Diana Krall, dammit!!" :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #726 of 9,506
I was expecting you to say, "Don't you try and make me listen to Diana Krall, dammit!!" :)

I did say those exact words,just in a more diplomatic manner :wink:

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #727 of 9,506
However you try define it, seems the Verite is shaping up to be one of the most unique and important headphones we’ve seen in quite a while. Something that can’t and won’t be pigeonholed. Can’t wait to see (and hear) how it all plays out when it starts to ship.

PS. Poor Aeolus. It’s like the TV show they’ll release at the same time as the GoT finale - good, maybe even great, but no-one noticed.

Me too.

Yeah, poor Aeolus, lol! Describing Verite takes like 10,000 words and a team of monkeys working around the clock. All the Aeolus impressions so far are all like three words: "Yeah, it's great.", "It sounds awesome.", "Great, as expected."

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #728 of 9,506
However you try define it, seems the Verite is shaping up to be one of the most unique and important headphones we’ve seen in quite a while. Something that can’t and won’t be pigeonholed. Can’t wait to see (and hear) how it all plays out when it starts to ship.

PS. Poor Aeolus. It’s like the TV show they’ll release at the same time as the GoT finale - good, maybe even great, but no-one noticed.
I'm really really liking the aeolus. You're right though.

I think once people hear it, it will gain traction.

Or Zach needs to put out one headphone a year so they can all play first chair for a while.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #729 of 9,506
I'm really really liking the aeolus. You're right though.

I think once people hear it, it will gain traction.

Or Zach needs to put out one headphone a year so they can all play first chair for a while.
There's supposed to be 55 of us at ZMFestivus in a few weeks. I think the hype train will start to chug once we all get back.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #730 of 9,506
It was poorly worded on my part. I mean, you can make a headphone that's warm and fast or bright and fast. Or bright and slow or warm and slow. You implied an odd correlation between upper midrange volume and driver speed in your previous post and I was like "Huh???" Probably just a case of us both being a little two ambiguous with our language in that exchange.

I honestly don't think I said anything about midrange volume unless it was in a definition I posted which wasn't me saying anything, just putting it out there for a reference point. I've never heard the Verite so can't comment on anything I've heard (lucky you).

I was pointing out that some of the Verite's attributes, namely those associated with Be drivers (coated in this case) and what I've heard thus far, don't lead way to a laid back sound. So would you say the Verite has a gentle V signature? Or is there a bump in the bass or drop in female vocals? Perhaps it's just mastering of that song? I'm not familiar with the artist or song.

I would just add that if I'm coming from the Auteur to the Verite, it's definitely for a more laid back sound.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #732 of 9,506
Damn, da hell happened in here?!? :laughing:

Maybe we can start discussing which wood is best for verite ? Blackwood ? Cocobolo? etc....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Zach said that the wood type used on the Verite has the least effect of any of his headphones?

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #733 of 9,506
I honestly don't think I said anything about midrange volume unless it was in a definition I posted which wasn't me saying anything, just putting it out there for a reference point. I've never heard the Verite so can't comment on anything I've heard (lucky you).

I was pointing out that some of the Verite's attributes, namely those associated with Be drivers (coated in this case) and what I've heard thus far, don't lead way to a laid back sound. So would you say the Verite has a gentle V signature? Or is there a bump in the bass or drop in female vocals? Perhaps it's just mastering of that song? I'm not familiar with the artist or song.

I would just add that if I'm coming from the Auteur to the Verite, it's definitely for a more laid back sound.

Like I said, I think I misinterpreted your first remark. That's my bad.

Yeah, or I'd say it's maybe gently W shaped. Verite is definitely more beefy under 500Hz and definitely more beefy between 40-80Hz. They kinda even out for a bit in the middle mids. Auteur stays flatter between 1kHz and 5kHz, Verite is more chilled out in this area. 1kHz and above is a little more present on Auteur overall if the midrange volume is even. See post #721.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #734 of 9,506
Damn, da hell happened in here?!? :laughing:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Zach said that the wood type used on the Verite has the least effect of any of his headphones?

Perhaps,but he has mentioned to me a few times that pheasantwood is def a cleaner sound than the other. Im buying the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back