ZMF Verite Open
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #678 of 9,512
So, I enjoyed Verite quite a bit with your playlist. Especially Francis Lockwood and Christian McBride. It's kinda going to come down to whether or not you like the signature and want to hear that stuff straight neutral or with a nice layer of warmth on it. If you like a more neutral-ish sound, all of this stuff is absolutely spot on with Auteur. If you want a little warmer, more laid back sound and a bit more bass emphasis, Verite is good for that. Verite also gives you a good bit of extra stage size and inner detail as well.
Wait...the Verite is even more laid back than the Auteur?

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #679 of 9,512
Wait...the Verite is even more laid back than the Auteur?

Depends on how you interpret laid back. They are warmer with less upper midrange and treble relative to the bass and lower mid. But they also have more micro and macro dynamics. So they are sort of more laid back in one way and more aggressive in another.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #680 of 9,512
Depends on how you interpret laid back. They are warmer with less upper midrange and treble relative to the bass and lower mid. But they also have more micro and macro dynamics. So they are sort of more laid back in one way and more aggressive in another.

Can you comment on some of the measurements that show the Verite (with the verite pads) has a bit more air up top when compared with the Auteur? Does this show up in subjective listening as well?

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #681 of 9,512
Yeah from everything I've seen you say about it laid back is the opposite of how I'd describe it. It's more dynamic & has an overall "bigger" sound than the Auteur, even if the mids are recessed or the treble doesn't extend as far.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #683 of 9,512
If the Verite is a bit warmer than Auteur but not as warm as Atticus, it'd be perfect for me!

A sense of warmth comes from too many directions in a headphone world. We need to be more specific about this. Elevated mid-bass / dip around 1.5k / dip around 3.5k / dip around 6k, or any combination of these deliver a sense of warmth on its own way.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #684 of 9,512
Yeah from everything I've seen you say about it laid back is the opposite of how I'd describe it. It's more dynamic & has an overall "bigger" sound than the Auteur, even if the mids are recessed or the treble doesn't extend as far.

I mean, it comes off as a sort of laid back with jazz because of the warmer presentation. When you're talking about Diana Krall, for example, the presentation of the upper midrange is going to have everything to do with how you interpret whether the sound is forward or laid back. But the warmth also lets you crank it up a bit, and as I've said many times, it is more dynamic.... so if I've got it cranked up and I'm jamming metal, rock, hip-hop or EDM, it's going to be a lot more hard-hitting/impactful/exciting vs. Auteur.

It does sound bigger, exactly as you said, regardless of the coloration relative to the music being played because the stage is larger and the dynamics are bigger.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #685 of 9,512
Can you comment on some of the measurements that show the Verite (with the verite pads) has a bit more air up top when compared with the Auteur? Does this show up in subjective listening as well?

Everything above 1kHz or so is more elevated, in a rough sense. With this final tuned version, I'm kinda preferring the Verite pads now. The air thing is difficult to say. I think the additional space between the driver and the ear makes the level of airiness seem closer than the measurements show, but that's just my subjective opinion on it. I think that's just because there is more depth on the Universe pads maybe?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #686 of 9,512

I've only spent an hour or so with them, but this was clearly evident.

Just wondered if you had chance to compare these 2 cables with Verite. Thanks in advance.

Just got them, but I've got the next 3 days off and I'll make sure to compare them and post my thoughts.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #687 of 9,512
A sense of warmth comes from too many directions in a headphone world. We need to be more specific about this. Elevated mid-bass / dip around 1.5k / dip around 3.5k / dip around 6k, or any combination of these deliver a sense of warmth on its own way.

Exactly. Harder to call it more or less warm than Atticus because it is warmer in different ways. The interesting thing is the sharp transients, super-accurate dynamics and high detail level sort of betray all expectations of what a warm headphone sounds like, so it's really not what you expect from a warm headphone at all. Like I expect to go from HD800 to a warmer headphone and have less apparent detail and a bit of a veil, but it's actually much more detailed and the soundstage holds up. My brain is still figuring out how to process that because it sounds so unique.

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #688 of 9,512
Exactly. Harder to call it more or less warm than Atticus because it is warmer in different ways. The interesting thing is the sharp transients, super-accurate dynamics and high detail level sort of betray all expectations of what a warm headphone sounds like, so it's really not what you expect from a warm headphone at all. Like I expect to go from HD800 to a warmer headphone and have less apparent detail and a bit of a veil, but it's actually much more detailed and the soundstage holds up. My brain is still figuring out how to process that because it sounds so unique.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #689 of 9,512

I guess that is because Vertie's stereo separation is that good. A warm headphone probably still has all details there, but we just can't hear them clearly because volume on some frequency ranges is muted. I guess when stereo separation is good, we may still hear them a bit more. Just my 2 cents.

... But the warmth also lets you crank it up a bit, and as I've said many times, it is more dynamic.... so if I've got it cranked up and I'm jamming metal, rock, hip-hop or EDM, it's going to be a lot more hard-hitting/impactful/exciting vs. Auteur. ...

I agree with this, but disagree in another way. HD800 has slightly recessed vocals on midrange, so I used to crank it up to hear them more clearly. But it also raises volume on bass and upper frequencies at the same time, which hurt my ears after a short period of time. For this reason, I prefer to use EQ to balance volume across frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #690 of 9,512

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!
Agreed. Zach could have called this headphone the Enigma, because I don't know how he made it sound so warm and rich and dynamic and so freaking good.

I prefer the Universe pads, as the Auteur fills the "neutral" role for me and I prefer the warmer sound anyway. I don't feel the Universe pads take anything away from the sound, it just adjusts it more towards my preference, which is also an enigma as pad changes usually have various pros and cons you have to accept or compromise with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back