ZMF Verite Open
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #6,871 of 9,512
Hi,

Most of you, including Zach, recommend tube amps for Verite, and do any of you use a solid-state amplifier and think this solution works perfectly as well? I have Verite Closed and I also ordered Verite Open African Blackwood. I love these headphones. Now I have to buy an amplifier for them, but also for Abyss 1266 Phi TC.

Thanks,

Michal.
The Burson Audio Soloist 3X Performance drives my Vérité Open/Closed beautifully. I only just bought my first real tube amp (The $950 Quicksilver) so I can't compare attributes directly, but I can at least share my thoughts. The Soloist sounds very wide for solid state, dynamic, extremely detailed, and doesn't seem to lean warm or bright itself; Just a great reference sound without any sibilance or fatigue. Everything sounds real/natural. It lets the characteristics of either Vérité shine. And damn it's an amazing pairing with my Aeolus as well when I want a laid-back listen. It's hard for me to imagine a tube amp being "better", just different, so I'm excited to experiment and see!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #6,873 of 9,512
Hi folks!

I recently bought a used pair of VO in Pheasantwood from a nice gentleman who let me know that the outer lacquer is peeling off in some places.

IMG_1528.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1527.jpg

I've emailed ZMF to ask what can I do about that - but I wanted to ask the community as well. The funny thing is that I can easily peel off the rest of it just by rubbing my thumb with a tiny bit of force against the wood. The lacquer just comes right off.

Should I:
1) Rub off all of it and apply nothing
2) Rub off all of it and applying something (if so: what?)
3) Just apply something over the parts that are peeling off
4) ???
I'll get to emails shortly today but I have seen this headphone numerous times through its journey from owner to owner -

1. That finish we used in the original pheasant wood is very durable to use, but not as durable as we'd like to foreign substances and some polishes. There have been maybe a few sets like this that got wiped down with polish, wax etc that I've seen this on, and the best thing to do is one of 2 things -

A. Leave it alone and wait until the finish isn't tacky anymore from being reactivated by the substance that was at one time wiped on it or it was activated by. As it dries you cna add a little more of that varnish to help the area. It would need to be applied three days in a row and let to sit overnight each day.

B. Send it in and pay for our refinishing service, which I know is expensive, but includes everything including chassis to make the headphone look brand new, and we would use osmo instead of the old finish that use on this headphone.

The pheasant wood headphone I have either look perfect or sometime have areas of wear like this from substances. This would be my suggestion for any of them.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6,874 of 9,512
I am currently considering 3 amplifiers, including one Burson - The New Soloist Grand Tourer. I'm waiting for a few reviews. I also know more or less what the Burson sounds like because I used to have a C3XP which I was happy with. Unfortunately, I didn't have Verite at that time. In addition to the new Burson GT, I am also considering the Violectric HPA V550 Pro and Niimbus US5. Last one is much more expensive but I'm not sure it's much better :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #6,875 of 9,512
I am currently considering 3 amplifiers, including one Burson - The New Soloist Grand Tourer. I'm waiting for a few reviews. I also know more or less what the Burson sounds like because I used to have a C3XP which I was happy with. Unfortunately, I didn't have Verite at that time. In addition to the new Burson GT, I am also considering the Violectric HPA V550 Pro and Niimbus US5. Last one is much more expensive but I'm not sure it's much better :)
I love the Soloist so much with my ZMF and Sennheiser headphones that I had a Grand Tourer on pre-order, but my car started having some issues so I pulled out and got a couple repairs done.
I also use Sonos Arc with Sub and Surrounds so I don't have much use for the Speaker outputs. Crossfeed and Headphone+Sub sound fun to play around with though. I see a Grand Tourer in my future if reviews are as good as I think they'll be.

I feel that with the Niimbus; however, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those amps.

Oct 8, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #6,876 of 9,512
I'll get to emails shortly today but I have seen this headphone numerous times through its journey from owner to owner -

1. That finish we used in the original pheasant wood is very durable to use, but not as durable as we'd like to foreign substances and some polishes. There have been maybe a few sets like this that got wiped down with polish, wax etc that I've seen this on, and the best thing to do is one of 2 things -

A. Leave it alone and wait until the finish isn't tacky anymore from being reactivated by the substance that was at one time wiped on it or it was activated by. As it dries you cna add a little more of that varnish to help the area. It would need to be applied three days in a row and let to sit overnight each day.

B. Send it in and pay for our refinishing service, which I know is expensive, but includes everything including chassis to make the headphone look brand new, and we would use osmo instead of the old finish that use on this headphone.

The pheasant wood headphone I have either look perfect or sometime have areas of wear like this from substances. This would be my suggestion for any of them.

I don't trust myself to do something like this so I'll go with (B).

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #6,877 of 9,512
I followed an advice from this thread and decided to try Woo Wa3. I have just got it delivered. It sounds awesome (and i have not changed tubes yet:) Punchy, but not harsh at all. Maybe Verite likes OTL design? Now i need to decide if to keep my main amp or to buy some more advanced OTL (wa2?).

It also looks wonderful with Verite:)

20211008_101934.jpg

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #6,878 of 9,512
I followed an advice from this thread and decided to try Woo Wa3. I have just got it delivered. It sounds awesome (and i have not changed tubes yet:) Punchy, but not harsh at all. Maybe Verite likes OTL design? Now i need to decide if to keep my main amp or to buy some more advanced OTL (wa2?).

It also looks wonderful with Verite:)

20211008_101934.jpg

Looks great! Well done finding a WA3 and black, in Europe. Not an easy thing to source these days.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #6,882 of 9,512
Well, good point:) Probably even possible to try it in a hi fi shop in my city:)) We have also less known, but still good producers (like SinusAudio, Eufonika).
Try it, Euforia and Elise are spectacular, in my opinion, with Verite and also T1.2.
Another good polish manufacturer of tube amps is the White Bird Amplification. Some amps here.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #6,884 of 9,512
Thanks, Could You share some thoughts on differences when paired with Verite? Elise is said to be warmer.
I only head Elise, so I cannot make any comparison. Elise is warmer, more euphonic. Euforia has more detail and it is more neutral, according to everyone. Both pair extremely well with ZMF, a lot of people on Euforia thread are using these.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #6,885 of 9,512
Try it, Euforia and Elise are spectacular, in my opinion, with Verite and also T1.2.
Another good polish manufacturer of tube amps is the White Bird Amplification. Some amps here.
I only head Elise, so I cannot make any comparison. Elise is warmer, more euphonic. Euforia has more detail and it is more neutral, according to everyone. Both pair extremely well with ZMF, a lot of people on Euforia thread are using these.
Elise was on my radar for a while, but it's $2k I'm hesitant to spend. It's steep for me as far as amps that I haven't heard go, plus I may need to upgrade the tubes. I already use an Aeolus when I want a warm/laid back listen. I can either hold onto my Aeolus and use them with my neutral SS Soloist 3XP and also pretty neutral Quicksilver Tube Amp, (Do I even keep both of these??), or sell my Aeolus and buy an Elise for my Vérité for that warm eargasmic euphony? Is the Elise too warm? That's my dilemma.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back