ZMF Verite Open
Feb 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #3,826 of 9,506
for those who have owned or tried the auteur, stellia and verite:

did u prefer the auteur or verite more?

i liked the auteur alot when i demo-ed it and felt that the verite was "boring" just like the utopia despite them having alot of detail and speed

i also for some reason found the stellia to be alot more enjoyable than the utopia

currently using aeolus and would like a less laidback presentation with more speed and detail

would i be better of with auteur or verite?

some thoughts on the tuning for stellia w regards to auteur & verite would be appreciated

demo for utopia and stellia was done w feliks euforia

aeolus is driven by feliks echo at present

many thanks!
Overall, I think the Auteur is the better headphone. As LoriWiv said above, it's a balanced sound that pairs well with every genre of music without being stale it boring because of that touch of warmth.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,827 of 9,506
...did u prefer the auteur or verite more?...
Overall, I think the Auteur is the better headphone. As LoriWiv said above, it's a balanced sound that pairs well with every genre of music without being stale it boring because of that touch of warmth.
Apparently there are differences of opinion (I know, that's shocking!) For example, @Wildcatsare1 was a big Auteur supporter, but later sold them, eventually replacing them with Verite and Aeolus.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,828 of 9,506

i liked the auteur alot when i demo-ed it and felt that the verite was "boring" just like the utopia despite them having alot of detail and speed

i also for some reason found the stellia to be alot more enjoyable than the utopia

currently using aeolus and would like a less laidback presentation with more speed and detail

some thoughts on the tuning for stellia w regards to auteur & verite would be appreciated

many thanks!
I have no experience with the Stellia, but the Auteur & Verite I have heard at length.

Oddly enough if you're talking "speed & detail", speed would go to the Verite & detail about matches up between the two (Verite might have an edge there). I say Oddly because in your demo you found the Verite a bit "boring". That being said, the Auteur is an excellent headphone (a bit too much in the upper mids for my tastes) and you have heard them both already...I'd say go with your gut ears. I imagine you'll be happy.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #3,829 of 9,506
Apparently there are differences of opinion (I know, that's shocking!) For example, @Wildcatsare1 was a big Auteur supporter, but later sold them, eventually replacing them with Verite and Aeolus.
I have all 3 at the moment.

The whole chain matters. So does preference.

I really like the Verite, and i think it's a little more fun than neutral - which I also enjoy - but the Auteur just does the JackOfAllTrades thing better. For me that is important, because I listened to such a wide genre of music. Wish i could keep all three.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,830 of 9,506
It's hard to appreciate an audio gear without living with the thing. Especially with high end stuff where the differences are more subtle and more advanced (speed, details, imaging… etc).

If you're not willing to use an EQ and prioritize a balanced sound then yeah I think the Auteur is the better headphones for you.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #3,831 of 9,506

many thanks!
It feels like you've likely answered your own question if you think the Verite was boring. I would trust your own ears over any of these comments, including mine.
I have the Verite & Auteur, along with the Aeolus & Atticus. To my ears the Verite is more detailed, surpassing the HD 800 series. As I often am, I wasn't super impressed with the Verite initially, nor the Auteur. I liked them a lot, but wasn't wowed until later. With the Verite, which I've had 2 months longer, by the 2nd day the wow factor was there and I began to be fascinated by what I was hearing and how it was presented, first with the stock pads and again with the same 2 as suede perforated. I go back and forth between either of the suede perf.

The Auteur took longer to wow me. It was an excellent headphone with the Auteur suede perf pads, but it wasn't until I tried the Eikon ones again 2 weeks after a short listen the first day that I was wowed. I've not heard them with leather pads.

I'd say get the Auteur since they're more to you're liking, and they're certainly cheaper.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #3,832 of 9,506
thank you to all who responded and shared feedback

when i tried the verite and auteur, i was very used to how the HD650 and Aeolus sounded and hence the Auteur was more in line to what i liked

however, i recently demo-ed the Diana Phi and was absolutely astounded by how it sounded apart from disliking the lack of body and thickness

now if the verite is anything close to the diana phi but w more of a "fun" factor and more body, then i guess i'll go w the verite since i don't want 2 headphones that are more similar to each other =/

once again thank you to all who shared their feedback be it from owning or even a demo =)

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #3,833 of 9,506
Is there another headphone whose frequency response graph looks most like the Verite open with the lambskin Verite pads?

I'm still messing around with EQ.

Has anyone sent their Verites in to sonarworks true-fi for individual calibration and would be willing to share their experience?

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,834 of 9,506
Is there another headphone whose frequency response graph looks most like the Verite open with the lambskin Verite pads?

I'm still messing around with EQ.

Has anyone sent their Verites in to sonarworks true-fi for individual calibration and would be willing to share their experience?

Here is my take into EQing the Verite with the same pads you mentioned except now I rarely use that bass shelf.

verite-eq2.png

Feb 25, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #3,836 of 9,506
Hello everyone! First time poster here and I am pretty new to the whole audiophile thing. I am looking forward to gaining some knowledge from everyone here.

So I currently am using an Audeze LCD-X as my daily drivers. I placed an order for the Verite one week ago. What am I in for once it arrives? How does it compare to the LCD-X?

Feb 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,837 of 9,506
Feb 25, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #3,838 of 9,506
Hello everyone! First time poster here and I am pretty new to the whole audiophile thing. I am looking forward to gaining some knowledge from everyone here.

So I currently am using an Audeze LCD-X as my daily drivers. I placed an order for the Verite one week ago. What am I in for once it arrives? How does it compare to the LCD-X?

I own both and noticed the Verite has slightly recessed upper mids, less subbass, narrower headstage. But you get much more natural timbre, more detail and resolution between instruments, greater height, and a truly impressive sense of depth. The perception of depth is truly special.

Keep in mind this is with the Verite lambskin pads. You'll get a different experience w the universe pads. I use the BE2 pads and prefer those for the wider stage and better response at 3.5 khz (where it makes a big difference for tracks with vocals) compared to the Verite lambskin. Hope this helps.

Feb 26, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #3,839 of 9,506
I just have to say that this is a damn good amp for the price. You'll really have to pay 4 figures to get the performance of this amp with a wider, deeper, sound stage and extra bass.

+1 : base GOTL will be good, Glenn builds great amps.

For me, the Verite really came alive once paired with GOTL :)

IMG_20191210_214946.jpg
IMG_20191217_022248.jpg
IMG_20200208_184236.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back