ZMF Verite Open
Feb 12, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,796 of 9,512
Awesome. Will try the Verite pads. Like me some slam.

I need a new cable, terminating either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced.

Any budget options around?

I have a ZMF upgraded copper one here to twin XLR terminations that I have no use for too. People buy these things?

If you are looking for a budget option I'd suggest just cutting and re-terminating the ZMF cable with balanced 2.5 or 4.4. If you aren't comfortable with it any electronics repair shop should be able to do it and if you have any concern about the quality of soldier you could bring some for them to use.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #3,797 of 9,512
Feb 12, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,798 of 9,512
My VO Purple Heart arrived yesterday. Only had a few hours to listen, so full impressions later. The goal was to find a companion headphone to the Utopia which offered a slightly more relaxed presentation with more bass without going all the way to LCD3 levels of relaxed...

First reaction - the Verite seems to fit that description and I like it a lot. A bit of a relief as this was a blind purchase. I haven't heard any ZMF headphones, but the feedback here and on other sites from people who I've seen multiple review from which align with my taste in headphones was encouraging.

Notes:
  • Received the headphone in the middle of the promised delivery window - Thanks Zach and Bevin!
  • The build quality is outstanding as is the woodwork. Beautiful headphones.
  • These feel lighter when wearing than they should at 475 grams or so. I never had an issue with the weigh of Audeze, but the Verite definitely distributes the weight better. Not quite as comfortable as the Utopia, but more than comfortable enough and easy to lean back in a recliner without the back of the headphone hitting the chair.
  • Adjusting the cups correctly and placement is a little more significant than most headphones. A small tilt forward (for me) improved the presentation
  • Mid bass is excellent! The pop of an electric bass string or the hit on a floor tom has fantastic impact and texture. Electric bass and percussion in particular is really well reproduced
  • More impact/physicality in bass than Utopia
  • More relaxed treble than Utopia - not good or bad, just different in the way I was hoping for
  • Enjoyed listening to everything I threw at it.
Certainly a very good first impression which I suspect will continue to grow as I get more of a chance for some long term listening this weekend.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,799 of 9,512
My VO Purple Heart arrived yesterday. Only had a few hours to listen, so full impressions later. The goal was to find a companion headphone to the Utopia which offered a slightly more relaxed presentation with more bass without going all the way to LCD3 levels of relaxed...

First reaction - the Verite seems to fit that description and I like it a lot. A bit of a relief as this was a blind purchase. I haven't heard any ZMF headphones, but the feedback here and on other sites from people who I've seen multiple review from which align with my taste in headphones was encouraging.

Notes:
  • Received the headphone in the middle of the promised delivery window - Thanks Zach and Bevin!
  • The build quality is outstanding as is the woodwork. Beautiful headphones.
  • These feel lighter when wearing than they should at 475 grams or so. I never had an issue with the weigh of Audeze, but the Verite definitely distributes the weight better. Not quite as comfortable as the Utopia, but more than comfortable enough and easy to lean back in a recliner without the back of the headphone hitting the chair.
  • Adjusting the cups correctly and placement is a little more significant than most headphones. A small tilt forward (for me) improved the presentation
  • Mid bass is excellent! The pop of an electric bass string or the hit on a floor tom has fantastic impact and texture. Electric bass and percussion in particular is really well reproduced
  • More impact/physicality in bass than Utopia
  • More relaxed treble than Utopia - not good or bad, just different in the way I was hoping for
  • Enjoyed listening to everything I threw at it.
Certainly a very good first impression which I suspect will continue to grow as I get more of a chance for some long term listening this weekend.

We'd love to see some pictures! Haven't seen many of the Purplehearts in the wild. What kind of metal?

Also you didn't comment on the soundstage of the Verite. I thought the Utopia was excellent with detail and instrument separation, but soundstage sounded so flat and confined. That's the major thing that won me over to keep the Verite.

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,800 of 9,512
We'd love to see some pictures! Haven't seen many of the Purplehearts in the wild. What kind of metal?

Also you didn't comment on the soundstage of the Verite. I thought the Utopia was excellent with detail and instrument separation, but soundstage sounded so flat and confined. That's the major thing that won me over to keep the Verite.

I'll take some pictures later and post. Metal for the grille and rods is rose gold.

Trying not to comment too much until I get more time with the Verite, but the soundstage does seem larger than the Utopia on first listen.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,801 of 9,512
Well. Just bought a pair. First ZMF.

What's the go to pad for them?
For me, the suede versions of the Verite perforated and Universe perforated are my favorite. The Verite ones aren't quite as bright and hyperdetailed as the lambskin and the Universe suede seems to be the most expansive/holographic. But you really can't go wrong with any of those 4.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,802 of 9,512
Ah, these are so freakin good. So so good. Hearing things in songs I've listened to 1000 times through fairly decent headphones (Aeons, Z1R etc)

@zach915m et. al. - Any memory foam pads kicking around for the Verite? Memory foam is my jams.

Edit: Is the Verite and Universe pad foam memory foam? Just doesn't spring like memory foam seems to. I have some Brainwavz XL here too which is memory foam, and it's rebound is much slower.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #3,804 of 9,512
If you are looking for a budget option I'd suggest just cutting and re-terminating the ZMF cable with balanced 2.5 or 4.4. If you aren't comfortable with it any electronics repair shop should be able to do it and if you have any concern about the quality of soldier you could bring some for them to use.
Ah missed your post.

Yeah was thinking this. Not a whole lot of places to do that work around here though. Will see what they can do. I think a 2.5mm Balanced is most flexible. Easy to adapter to 4.4mm or 3.5mm stereo etc.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #3,805 of 9,512
I'm randomly drinking some delicious White Russians and A/B testing the Senn HD800(SDR) and the Verite Open here are my thoughts (I'm going to copy paste from another forum):

Ok so going between the HD800(SDR) and the ZMF Verite Open with Universe Perf pads on the following chain Bifrost2 - BHC+SB and I feel like the stage and imaging isn’t as wide or in your face on the Verite, but the overall “enjoyment” for me is better with the Verite. The HD800(sdr) is brighter and feels more analytical…but honestly I kind of prefer it to the Verite right now…hmmm…let me dig into this some more expect edits to this post to continue on unless someone responds lol

Ok, back on the HD800(SDR)
… well damn if this isn’t one of the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn! anyways, onto the sound…it sounds less precise… but wider, cleaner, less intimate…but, has a “WOW” factor that is rather addictive on this chain. Detail is fuzzy sounding to me (Fuzzy: not as crisp in detail retrieval, has an air of haze to certain tracks). But, vocals and high notes are special, addictive, bass is lite but clean. Makes me want to listen again to this track.

https://open.qobuz.com/track/84890348

Switching back to the Verite Open with the above track:

WOW…presence is in your face! It sounds the same but with better well everything…=( sorry HD800(SDR) well…actually the highs and stage is “better” on the HD800(SDR)…Ok with the Verite Opens this track gets very intimate and “present” almost overwhelming/encompassing… it is easy to get lost on the sea of ZMF with this combo…

New song:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/61364756

Ok, starting with the Verite Open… just sounds right… vocals are up front with the instruments just hanging right behind them, but, with impact and clarity! Really liking the drums on this track in the background…fantastic

Ok back to the HD800(SDR) Cleaner…less warm… vocals are still upfront but drums and instruments are closer and wider. Addictive… feels “fresh” and “lite”

So this is tough and honestly both have excellent qualities and merits that I wouldn’t/couldn’t pronounce a “winner” but, honestly could be very happy with either. Depending on mood, either “crisp” “clean” or “warm” “intimate” with “depth” is how I would choose. Mind you this is on this specific chain… but damn if both aren’t exceptional sounding headphones… I am a believer in multiple headphones for “spice of life” listening… and this little experiment just re-enforces that belief.

But, if you asked me to pick only one of these two…I would have to give it to the Verite Open.
Image below, but with the VC not VO of my current super stacks lol

E437BD9F-9BE4-4DAD-AC28-6F78C07141BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #3,806 of 9,512
Well. Just bought a pair. First ZMF.

What's the go to pad for them?

There is no consensuses here, everybody has his own preferences and kudos to Zack for providing such flexibility. It's very rare to find as much pad options for other non ZMF headphones :D.

My preference is strictly the verite lambskin perforated pads, they provide the most dynamic and detailed sound. They also provide more correct tonality overall (less dark sounding).
I tried all the common pad options except the BEs and the suede verite pads.

And most importantly, try by yourself!, no one can tell you what you may or may not like :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,807 of 9,512
I love that drink!
I'm randomly drinking some delicious White Russians and A/B testing the Senn HD800(SDR) and the Verite Open here are my thoughts (I'm going to copy paste from another forum):

Ok so going between the HD800(SDR) and the ZMF Verite Open with Universe Perf pads on the following chain Bifrost2 - BHC+SB and I feel like the stage and imaging isn’t as wide or in your face on the Verite, but the overall “enjoyment” for me is better with the Verite. The HD800(sdr) is brighter and feels more analytical…but honestly I kind of prefer it to the Verite right now…hmmm…let me dig into this some more expect edits to this post to continue on unless someone responds lol

Ok, back on the HD800(SDR)
… well damn if this isn’t one of the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever worn! anyways, onto the sound…it sounds less precise… but wider, cleaner, less intimate…but, has a “WOW” factor that is rather addictive on this chain. Detail is fuzzy sounding to me (Fuzzy: not as crisp in detail retrieval, has an air of haze to certain tracks). But, vocals and high notes are special, addictive, bass is lite but clean. Makes me want to listen again to this track.

https://open.qobuz.com/track/84890348

Switching back to the Verite Open with the above track:

WOW…presence is in your face! It sounds the same but with better well everything…=( sorry HD800(SDR) well…actually the highs and stage is “better” on the HD800(SDR)…Ok with the Verite Opens this track gets very intimate and “present” almost overwhelming/encompassing… it is easy to get lost on the sea of ZMF with this combo…

New song:

https://open.qobuz.com/track/61364756

Ok, starting with the Verite Open… just sounds right… vocals are up front with the instruments just hanging right behind them, but, with impact and clarity! Really liking the drums on this track in the background…fantastic

Ok back to the HD800(SDR) Cleaner…less warm… vocals are still upfront but drums and instruments are closer and wider. Addictive… feels “fresh” and “lite”

So this is tough and honestly both have excellent qualities and merits that I wouldn’t/couldn’t pronounce a “winner” but, honestly could be very happy with either. Depending on mood, either “crisp” “clean” or “warm” “intimate” with “depth” is how I would choose. Mind you this is on this specific chain… but damn if both aren’t exceptional sounding headphones… I am a believer in multiple headphones for “spice of life” listening… and this little experiment just re-enforces that belief.

But, if you asked me to pick only one of these two…I would have to give it to the Verite Open.
Image below, but with the VC not VO of my current super stacks lol

[/QUOTE

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #3,808 of 9,512
Update:

Curioustiy got the better of me. Put the Brainwaivz XL Micro Seude pads on (solid, not perforated).

I'll save everyone else the effort of buying and trying. Sound impressions:

Bass - More
Mid & Treble & Clarity & Soundstage & Every other important aspect - Less

That is all.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #3,809 of 9,512
Whats a recommendation on a good budget amp for these things?

I have the SMSL SP200, but I don't think the two are made for each other. 35% on the *terrible* volume dial is loud enough, 36.3% on the same dial is too freakin loud.

I can use the DAC to adjust the gain for more control, but still don't think the two are made for each other.

DAC will stay as the Topping D50S.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #3,810 of 9,512
Whats a recommendation on a good budget amp for these things?

I have the SMSL SP200, but I don't think the two are made for each other. 35% on the *terrible* volume dial is loud enough, 36.3% on the same dial is too freakin loud.

I can use the DAC to adjust the gain for more control, but still don't think the two are made for each other.

DAC will stay as the Topping D50S.

What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back