1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Verite

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by heliosphann, Oct 3, 2018.
First

Back
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
Next

Last
  1. bryceu
    :/

2. SteveM324
    If you don't need a closed headphone, my advice is to stick with the open Verite. I always prefer an open vs closed headphone of the same model for their larger soundstage capability.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    bryceu likes this.
  3. alvin sawdust
    Hi guys, need some help. This question might reveal me to the world as the buffoon that I suspect I am, but how can I tell apart the BE2 and Verite pads visually?

Darthpool likes this.
  4. Darthpool
    I still have this problem...but I believe the BE2 have a slightly more circular ear opening... but I also can be wrong

alvin sawdust likes this.
  5. 35FLE
    Does the Hugo 2 amp more than enough power to drive the verite?

6. Wildcatsare1
    Yes, that’s what I use or portable listening on the VO and VC, additionally, it is one of the DACs I use in my desktop and bedside systems, it’s an excellent match in both applications.

jinxy245 likes this.
  7. 35FLE
    Is the Hugo 2 volume set almost to the max when driving the VC?

8. alvin sawdust
    Thanks. I have the three sets of pads and two sets look identical except for one pad that seems to have a rounder opening as you have said.

Darthpool likes this.
  9. Roasty
    I posted a while back about not enjoying the verite when I auditioned it in the shop.

I took the advice of some folks here and went back to the shop yesterday and tried them again with the flat verite pads (previously angled pads) and they sounded much much much better.

Makes me feel a lot more relieved now, having paid deposit for the cocobolo verite a week back.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    nishan99, Darthpool and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  10. jinxy245
    I sincerely doubt it, depending on how loud you listen of course. It is from memory, but I've had experience with a couple of ZMFs on my OG Hugo, and I didn't have to bump the volume much, almost never got to yellow (midway).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  11. Monsterzero
    Its been said before,but I will repeat it here. The pads can make a HUGE difference in sound. This makes reviewing ZMF headphones challenging,and may account for varying opinions read/heard around the web.

Were kinda going thru this in VC thread. Im hearing more energy in the cymbals using the Auteur pads,while Torq and Darth are hearing warmer using Universe pads.

Darthpool and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  12. Wildcatsare1
    No, not even close, I’m using the red filter, and multiple sources.

JM1979 likes this.
  13. TonyNewman
    Have over 100 hours on the Verite Open now and I am very, very happy with the sound from solid state or tubes. Have tried adding EQ, but it I found it unnecessary - the tonal balance is good enough out of the box to not bother IMHO. I switched to the flat pads and found I prefer these - more transparent and detailed to my ears.

The EQ question can be an important one. My view is that I should not have to EQ very expensive headphones because the tonal balance is a mess when it leaves the factory (LCD-4, Utopia). Some audio chains - like my preferred setup [Roon->Ethernet->Metrum Ambre->I2S->Metrum Pavane] do not allow for EQ. So having a headphone that has a good tonal balance out of the box is a deal breaker.

I tried applying EQ using my alternate chain [Music Bee->USB->Singxer SU-1->AES->Metrum Pavane] and it adds very little to the SQ for my tastes, certainly not enough to make up for the superior SQ of the preferred Ethernet->Ambre->I2S setup. YMMV.

Overall, this is a superb headphone and I am very happy with my purchase.

Looking forward to seeing the upcoming reviews for the Verite Closed. Not sure about going for the VC or a complimentary planar (Rosson One) next.

14. antdroid
    Yes totally this. I ran a bunch of measurements this week using EARS and 4 different pads, including two versions of the same Universal Perforated Suede pads and they all sound different!

Here's my quick take on each on Verite Open:
    BE2 - flat bass and mids; neutral with a slightly darker/laid back tuning in treble region
    Univ Perforated Leather - Balanced sound, slightly bassier than stock, thick mids and neutral-ish treble- thinking harman target but slightly less pronounced upper mids and treble
    Univ Perforated Suede (new Dark) - flat bass and lower mids. darker upper mids and treble tuning
    Univ Perforated Suede (old Lighter/stiffer) - neutral tuning with a more treble energy. I think this is closer to a harman tuning, maybe a tad splashy treble with solid state amp. Using this with WA7 Tubes makes it nearly perfect for me.

jinxy245, Darthpool, Roasty and 2 others like this.
  15. Roasty
    Thanks for this.

By the way, which pads are included with the verite from the get go?

First

Back
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201
Next

Last