1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Verite

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by heliosphann, Oct 3, 2018.
First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last
  1. jinxy245
    To take a stab at a bad analogy here, that's almost like saying "I'm willing to get a TOTL Tesla, but IDK if I like Hybrids".
    By which I mean OTLs have a stereotype for sure (warm & gooey), but there are a lot of factors that can change the sound. Whatever info you might glean off of listening to one OTL, won't be indicative of what you'll hear from a Glenn, or many other manufacturers for that matter. That's not even touching the tube rolling aspect. IMO, your best bet if you want to hear what a Glenn (or Woo, or whatever) sounds like is to find someone with a Glenn. Not an easy task I know, but I don't think listening to a Darkvoice for instance will tell you much about what a Feliks OTL would sound like.

Good luck though...keep us posted!

Pharmaboy, nishan99, bryceu and 4 others like this.
  2. Monsterzero
    Very well said, and agree one hundred percent.
    My old La Figaro 339, while good, sounds nothing like my Glenn. Zero comparison.

jinxy245, Wildcatsare1 and Darthpool like this.
  3. mixman
    There is like a 3 or 4 month or even longer wait for the Glenn's?

4. Monsterzero
    Im not sure. I had about 2 month wait for mine,but between Zach taking his Glenn with him to CanJams and word of mouth from owners,Glenn is getting slammed.
    I would ask in the Glenn thread and see what he says,but IMHO its worth the wait,but YMMV.

jinxy245 and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  5. whirlwind
    I have not owned many different OTL amps...but I have heard quite a few...once I got Glenn's I was not even interested in hearing any more.
    The authority it has over high impedance cans and even some planar headphones with the right tubes is quite amazing.

jinxy245 and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  6. mixman
    OK I guess I will check that out. Did you get the closed Verite yet for review? Selling my open and going to wait for those.

See that's the problem. Most of my cans are low impedance planars and I don't want to buy a Glenn just for the Verite.

7. whirlwind
    Then by all means grab a cheaper OTL if it is an OTL you want and don't want to spend hundreds

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  8. mixman
    Just trying to find an amp/amps that will work for all my cans.

9. Wildcatsare1
    Then look at solid SET Amps, I’ve have the Empyreans in for review, I’ve been jamming the Pixies this afternoon, doing a head to head with the Vérité. The WA5 does a beautiful job with both Cans, actually they are close to a draw!

jinxy245 and Darthpool like this.
  10. whirlwind
    I understand and with all of the nice headphones in your sig, I am sure that can be quite tricky to find the amp that will make you happy with all of your cans.

11. Monsterzero
    Zach said a couple weeks,about three or four days ago,so....Believe me,Im looking forward to them too.

Ask Glenn about his GEL3N amp. Its more expensive than the GOTL,but from my understanding its better with planars than the OTL. Perhaps @whirlwind can offer his opinion.

12. mixman
    I know they are very close, just different flavors. So I am solving that by keeping the Empy's as the open and because the Verite come both ways I can get those closed. Having both open would be a little redundant.

13. Darthpool
    I have a pair of Empys on demo right now... I like them but not at the price point. Beautiful headphones and extremely well made. But for the price I would rather grab another ZMF or two, or even the Rad-0 with personalized custom colors. Sound wise, they are great, but I’m having a hard time with the lows coming at me from above and around my ears, it is very cool but at times depending on tracks and quality it will turn into a wall of noise for me (not the Empyreans fault more a problem with the way I hear things). If my ears agreed with them more they would not be going back, even if only because of comfort and look, but I much prefer the Verite over them...I may just be more of a dynamics guy. Just to be clear these are the best planers I’ve heard to date, the Rad-0 are right there with them though....but are exponentially heavier, literally that is. I’ll be writing up some words on the Empys this weekend with some photos hopefully. They came paired with a Kitsune upgraded Holo Audio Azure amp which they had really good synergy with. They also sounded excellent out of all my sources (tubes withstanding lol).

I look forward to your thoughts on them!

jinxy245, Wildcatsare1 and bryceu like this.
  14. mixman
    Here is my summary....If you want resolution and an a more analytical sound get the Emp's, for a more musical and 3D like presentation get the Verite. The Empy's have more energy at the top and bottom than the Verite. The Verite has a sweeter midrange.

bryceu and Darthpool like this.
  15. Darthpool
    Interesting, I didn't get analytical from them...just goes to show we all hear things differently. =) But I do agree the Verite is a more musical experience. It's part of the fun of this hobby seeing how others here things compared to myself. Why I try to avoid definitive statements about what I hear, and always try to say from my perspective or how I hear/perceived something.

Cheers

bryceu likes this.
First

Back
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188
Next

Last