1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Verite

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by heliosphann, Oct 3, 2018.
First

Back
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
Next

Last
  1. zach915m
    Would recommend Universe Suede perf as another option if you don't like the Lambskin U perf.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
    bryceu, nishan99 and Darthpool like this.
  2. SmashBruh
    To be honest, I found the wood to make just as much difference as it does on any other ZMF headphone. Perhaps the silk and pheasantwood didn't have big differences but when auditioning them at CanJam I noticed quite a few differences between the silk and the Ziricote/cocobolos. They seemed to image better, have reach more into the low-end. It really can't be overstated just how black the background is with the harder woods either. The sounds appear out of thin air, dance around you and then immediately disappear. It's almost like magic and that effect felt accentuated with the harder woods when comparing them to the silk. That was just my experience comparing them though. That said, no matter what wood you get you're still going to get an awesome headphone and while the wood does modify the sonic properties a little the differences aren't so great that you'd think one is a completely different headphone.

See, those things are exactly what I love about the Verite! The staging is so unique and unlike any other headphone I've ever heard! And it's nice to heave a TOTL HP really give you some bass oomph. Imo that's what keeps the verite musical! I will say that the staging definitely does take a significant time to get used to though!

bryceu, Darthpool and zach915m like this.
  3. mixman
    Zach, would the universe suede perf pads give me back the 3D soundstage that the Verite suede pads slightly lost? What would the non perf pads sound like?

bryceu and Darthpool like this.
  4. bryceu
    Alright so I'm trying to do my research and figure out what amp to pair with my Verite as I wait for them to be built. The only tube amp I've owned in the past is the Valhalla 2 and I thought it did quite well at the time. I'd lean more toward a linear signature vs warm, and I'd also probably go more for crisp rather than an overly gooey/tubey sound. I'm thinking OTL would be best as I have the ADI-2 for lower impedance stuff and my Andros. I already sold my 789 and have my Ether2s up for sale also to help fund this higher impedance journey.
    I'd love to stay in the sub $1,000 range for now (used is fine).

Valhalla 2 (OTL)
    Lyr 3 (Hybrid)
    Eddie Current Jr. ZDT
    Woo Audio WA-6 (SET)
    Feliks Elise (OTL)

Any suggestions not on the list, or ones I should scratch off?

While I'd love to jump right into a Euforia or Glenn amp I'll probably have to stay in a lower tier for now.

nishan99 and Wildcatsare1 like this.
  5. kumar402
    Well I enjoy my Verite out of ZDT Jr. I really enjoy the Holographic soundstage that the amp provide.
    I had Valhalla 2 but I didn't have Verite at that time. I never really liked it with HD600 or 800s. The treble was too dry. Valhalla 2 is an amp to be paired with NOS DAC or Schiit's own multibit DAC. They can take the edge off the treble.
    I also had Lyr3 and I really enjoyed it out of my HD600 and Empyrean. It has very smooth Treble and it pairs well with brighter headphones. Lyr 3 is musical as well. However I would suggest get ZDT Jr. Also JAN GE 5654W does open up sound with it and make treble little crispy.
    No experience with Woo or Feliks. However going by the impression you won't go wrong with Feliks as well.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. Darthpool
    I enjoy my Cayin Ha-1a MKii...Headphones.com and Musicteck.com are the only two I can think of that are dealers for them, another fun one to try is (Mass)Drop.com Eddie Current ZDT jr. The Cayin will set you back $700(ish) and the EC ZDT jr. is $400(ish). If feeling up to it the Bottlehead Crack Kit is on sale still(maybe, ) but that with speedball upgrade is also in the $400 range not including gear needed to assemble it. I own Current all suggestions I’ve made and they all are great listens with the Verite. Cayin is more Linear, Bottlehead Crack is more “engaging/musical” and the EC ZDT jr splits the difference for me at least and with the tubes currently installed.

jinxy245, bryceu and aloki like this.
  7. bryceu
    Right on thanks for the feedback. I remember even the Valhalla 2 having some holographic soundstage that I miss ever since going full-time SS. Definitely would appreciate that about the ZDT Jr.

Plus one for ZDT :)

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Cayin HA-1a MKii. (Just looked it up, interesting looking amp) I had thought about the BHC +SB as it seems like a fun thing to build, and I have soldering gear already, but the main thing stopping me from that is the tonal characteristics. It seems like it's a bit more musical than I think I'd enjoy. Sounds like ZDT Jr might be the right amount of step in the tube direction. Plus two for ZDT.

Cheers!

Darthpool likes this.
  8. mixman
    How about the Mjolnir 2 vs the Liquid Platinum? I cannot really get an OTL because most of my other cans are low impedance planars and don't want to buy an amp just for the Verite.

9. Monsterzero
    FYI

Basic Glenn starts at around 750.00. Nothing is going to beat it at that price.
    Its also fantastic with low ohm headphones,especially when you pop in some 6336 tubes. My K701s sound better than many headphones costing 5-7 times as much thru my Glenn. It also sounds great with Grados and does a solid job with planars too.
    I used to own a GLM2 just for my low impedance headphones. The Glenn smoked it. My GOTL is now my only amp.

nishan99, jinxy245, JM1979 and 3 others like this.
  10. KcMsterpce
    Well, I have a Bottlehead Crack, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline, Violectric V-281, and the ZDT Jr.
    I have plugged in the Verite to each amp, using direct RCA input from my AK320 into the amplifier(s), as well as through the Yggdrasil DAC into each amp...
    The Verite sounded awesome through any combination. Some I prefer more than others, but it's based on my personal preference, and mostly due to subtle differences/advantages.
    I'd never say any of these options are "Ooooh, not good enough for the Verite".

JM1979 and bryceu like this.
  11. Darthpool
    The Verite scales nicely with all the amps I’ve tried it with, so I wouldn’t worry too much in that regard, as long as they are powered properly they will sound great. I think personal taste factors heavily here on amp choice so find what works for you. Demo what you can and see if you can try amps at meet-ups or stores (if there are any n your area)

JM1979 and bryceu like this.
  12. bryceu
    Oh wow I didn’t realize Glenns started that low. Thanks for the info!

Quite the collection of amps you got. Good to hear that it goes so well with everything. Thanks!

KcMsterpce likes this.
  13. LoryWiv
    I am REALLY enjoying ZMF Auteur with Feliks Elise, haven't tried it with Verite.

bryceu likes this.
  14. nishan99
    Have you compared the Val2 to the ZDT jr?

I am willing to get a full specd GOTL but I don't know if I like OTL amps so I want to taste first if I like them or not.

15. bryceu
    I'm definitely not the expert here but from what I gather the Valhalla 2 is quite different sound characteristics from a lot of other OTL tube amps.
    For example comparing DV 336 to Val2 is going to be quite different. GOTL would be upgrade over both of course, but you could find a cheap OTL that mimics GOTL tonality/characteristics.

But you can pick up a used 336se for really cheap (~$150) if you want to try OTL.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    nishan99 likes this.
First

Back
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
Next

Last