ZMF Verite Open
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #2,446 of 9,496
Zach recommends around 300 I believe for Verite and 150 on there rest of the lot.
I would admit that I was a skeptic when it comes to burn-in... After getting my Atticus, and burn-in for 100h, I became a believer :wink:
Initially sounded meh, compared to what I heard at CanJam, but after 100h - it was glorious!!

Jul 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,447 of 9,496
I burn in my speakers and headphones with 50-30hz test tones to really loosen the rubber surround and stress out the voice coil.
I find this greatly reduce the burn in time.
Yet I don't know if this is the correct method or not it just seems logical to me :D

Jul 19, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,448 of 9,496
The quickest way to attain mechanical break-in would be by playing a continuous tone that is the same frequency as the resonant frequency of the driver, that should yield the highest excursion if I am not mistaken. About 30-50hz could be quite correct in many cases. Maybe Zach knows the resonant frequency of the drivers in his headphones?

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #2,449 of 9,496
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,450 of 9,496
Jul 19, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #2,451 of 9,496
eHL80pg.jpg

I fell in love with this beautiful set of cocobolo Verites at the SoCal Canjam and absolutely had to have them. Just received them yesterday and Zach was even kind enough to give them to me for the CanJam price as well as include the pictured Atmos Silver cable free of charge. Not 100% sure if they're fully burnt in yet or not, but I've been running them from my Atom whenever I'm not listening to them just in case! The chasis had a teeny chip in it when it arrived, but after a tiny drop of enamel paint it's barely noticeable.:L3000:

Been enjoying them with the Universe pads as I love how they thump and rumble with them on! That said I'm having a bit of trouble finding what the appropriate listening level for these is. I know they're supposed to be more efficient than the Auteurs but for some reason I always end up at around the same volume levels. I want to make sure I'm not listening too loud since I always end up listening for very long periods of time lol. I'm finding it's very easy to listen to these loudly too because the vocals seem rather more laid back than the Auteurs.

Will take more pictures soon! Waiting to hear back from Zach regarding brass grille care since the grilles have quite a bit of patina on them and I'd like to get some pictures of them when they're nice and shiny!

The figure on those coco earcups is spectacular!

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2,454 of 9,496
What would be considered the proper method for burning in ZMF headphones? Based on my research, what I did for my Verite was run them through a pink noise clip that I found on youtube for 300 hours at a volume that was slightly above what I would comfortably listen at, which isn't very loud to begin with. Everytime the clip ended, I would listen to some test tracks that include orchestral, metal, and edm, at a comfortable volume and increase volume again and run the clip again.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2,455 of 9,496
What would be considered the proper method for burning in ZMF headphones? Based on my research, what I did for my Verite was run them through a pink noise clip that I found on youtube for 300 hours at a volume that was slightly above what I would comfortably listen at, which isn't very loud to begin with. Everytime the clip ended, I would listen to some test tracks that include orchestral, metal, and edm, at a comfortable volume and increase volume again and run the clip again.

Several years ago a Head-Fi pal gave me 3 noise mp3's: pink noise, white noise, and gaussian noise. I ended up using the pink noise & gaussian noise clips extensively for burn-in.

White noise sounded quite harsh to me so I didn't use it. The advantage of gaussian noise IMO is a more natural weight in the lower mids and entire bass range.

Like you, I used a somewhat louder (but not excessive) volume with the noise files than with music, because noise files have no transients or conventional dynamic range.
  • I put those 2 noise files on repeat for 12 hrs one day; then put music files (all kinds of music) on repeat for 12 hrs the next day
  • 150 hrs total burn-in is my SOP for headphones. I've found that DACs in particular can take considerably longer to settle down
  • I have separate headphone systems and amps, so it's easy to burn-in a headphone on one system and not even know it's happening unless I felt like listening in
I've burned in 3 ZMF headphones--and any number of non-ZMF headphones, as well.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,456 of 9,496

I let them burn in at way higher than my threshold, with 50hz notes you will not be bothered by that very loud volume if they are setting a meter away.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #2,457 of 9,496
I just compiled a playlist on types of music I most listen to, put the cans into the case and hit repeat and leave for 10 days to 2 weeks if I can hold off that long...

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,458 of 9,496
Any other pads that I can use ? I like the Verite pads but I find the universe pads more comfortable.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #2,459 of 9,496
People who use the flat verite pads, do they touch your ears ?

Any other pads that I can use ? I like the Verite pads but I find the universe pads more comfortable.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #2,460 of 9,496

Users who are viewing this thread

Back