ZMF Verite Open
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #1,726 of 9,512
I think Verite is as resolving as HD800 and Utopia. I've had both and didn't really love either entirely. I liked Utopia more but both were ultimately too thin and fatigue inducing. They were enjoyable in short bursts but not sustainable long term to me. Verite is more laid back and organic yet manages to retain similar speed and micro detail. This almost seems contradictory but that is the unique balance of Verite and why it is one of my favorite flagship tuning.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,727 of 9,512
Apr 15, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,728 of 9,512
Ahahahah utopia is made by some guy with baguette crumbles on their short. You are the hero of the day.
I don't want to know how you would describe italian guys ..

Well, my grandparents were from Italy, so AMAZING PEOPLE! :grin:

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,729 of 9,512
My concern with the Aeolus is the crazy midbass that the Atticus had - is that still the case with the Aeolus? It felt it bled too much into the mids which made them fun, but ultimately distracting headphones. Using the Eikon pads helped out but also reduced some of tthe Atticus's blacker background and mid warmth.

How would you describe the detail in comparison to the HD800s or Utopias? Utopias had a fatiguing amount of detail, which while impressive was excessive even from a modest setup while with HD800 also pushed detail too far in my face. I really enjoyed playing around with different micro-detali with the Auteurs as they were audible but pushed further back. I also loved their transparency with equipment as I could audibly hear differences between cables, source changes, and tube rolls with it.

The speed of the Verities also has me interested ever since I started listening to Focals lineup.

It has a mid bass bump but not to the extent as the Atticus. It’s a much more refined presentation and if you purchase the Verite pads it becomes neutral.

I still crack smiles thinking of the ridiculous mid bass on the Atticus.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,730 of 9,512
It has a mid bass bump but not to the extent as the Atticus. It’s a much more refined presentation and if you purchase the Verite pads it becomes neutral.

I still crack smiles thinking of the ridiculous mid bass on the Atticus.

Atticus is all about amp pairing. You get it going with the right tube amp and you don't even notice the midbass. All sweet spot.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #1,731 of 9,512
Atticus is all about amp pairing. You get it going with the right tube amp and you don't even notice the midbass. All sweet spot.

No kidding. The Atticus is definitely amp dependent.

I really loved that mid bass thump though. It was great for rock and metal. :metal:

I really do miss that headphone.

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,732 of 9,512
Did you consider audio gd nfb1? It has the best value for the money ratio with balanced output. It is powerful enough to drive anything, it has remote and the perfect volume control.. Pair it with a good balanced dac and you have an end game ss. It is neutral. Also if you buy it from the italian seller you can ask the transparent "hood", very cool
Hello, I didn’t consider it mainly because of its low price...at the end it’s 1/3 of headphones and dac (Menuet) price. I really don’t want to sacrifice any quality if I buy the Verite. Does anyone actually tried them with the NFB-1?

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,733 of 9,512
I have never owned either headphone,and what limited experience I do have were in show/CanJam environments,so I dont think anything I say would be worth much.
There is zero fatigue with the Verite,yet theyre very detailed. Perhaps not to the degree of treble blasters like a Beyer T1(which I did previously own)
The imaging and staging of the Verite allows me to focus in on various parts of a song at my leisure,as opposed to it being slammed into my cranium like a T1 does.

Once my Vérité were in the House, I sold my Utopia, their detail being similar, but the Vérité winning in intonation, soundstage, musicality and 0 fatigue.

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,735 of 9,512
Hello, I didn’t consider it mainly because of its low price...at the end it’s 1/3 of headphones and dac (Menuet) price. I really don’t want to sacrifice any quality if I buy the Verite. Does anyone actually tried them with the NFB-1?

I don't think you would sacrifice anything, don't let the price tag influence your judgment. If i ain't wrong zach tuned some hps with audio gd gear

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,736 of 9,512
I think Verite is as resolving as HD800 and Utopia. I've had both and didn't really love either entirely. I liked Utopia more but both were ultimately too thin and fatigue inducing. They were enjoyable in short bursts but not sustainable long term to me. Verite is more laid back and organic yet manages to retain similar speed and micro detail.

Thanks for your opinions on it - I really enjoyed the Utopias detail but it was too bright. Listening to Jazz tracks was like drilling screws through my ears. They got sibilant fast but they were very fast paced and had more detail than the HD800s from what I can remember.

I don't find it distracting but ymmv... I don't know what music you listen to..
But if you settled with elear i don't think you could find aeolus too much mid bass humped.

A little mix of everything but I think the midbass could have been my amp (doubt it tho because at the time of my Atticus I had a Dragon Inspire IHA-1 by all accounts, a lean bass amp but very detailed and clean focused amp). Good to know pad swaps and just the overall open nature has settled that down a bit. Honestly, I do think the Atticus had silkier mids than my LCD 2's but they didn't strike me as a Super HD650 as once touted. I didn't really consider them that much of an upgrade. It's nice to know the Aeolus would be a bigger upgrade than that.

There is zero fatigue with the Verite,yet theyre very detailed. Perhaps not to the degree of treble blasters like a Beyer T1(which I did previously own)
The imaging and staging of the Verite allows me to focus in on various parts of a song at my leisure,as opposed to it being slammed into my cranium like a T1 does.

That's good to know. Honestly what I loved most about the Auteurs was the detail that could be explored at my leisure as well. They were just as detailed as the HD800s but the detail would kind of just float around you and they were very transparent. Have you heard any of Audezes lineup? I'm starting to move from enjoying super rich, silky mids towards detailed, clear mids. I think the mids on the Auteurs probably struck a good balance with this - the Elears in my opinion have the detailed mids I'm looking for. Would you consider the mids on the Verite glossed over?

I love Zach's craftmanship and his work through his cables and accessories. I think he delivers excellent value for what you get which is why I'm interested in finding another flagship. Right now the Elears are my favorite despite everyone claiming how screwy their mids are - I don't really notice it but it could just be some tube magic cleaning it up. It does come out in certain tracks but you'd really have to be listening for it (basically intently noticing any volume changes in female vocals). The Elears are rich, airy, (could use more treble, looking into tubes/pad swaps), and have just enough bass to keep me happy (I'm not a bass head). They also have great dynamics and detail retrieval. I preferred them over the more neutral Clears. I think the Utopia/Elegias/Elex had the best detail retrieval but the elear strikes a good compromise. Before I dump a ton of money into fine tuning them I'd love to get the chance to hear the Verities. I might look into dealer options to see if I can at least return it if I don't like their sound (I doubt I would do that tho but who knows!)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #1,737 of 9,512
Hey guys, I got the Verite recently and I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted to share a review of it that I posted to YouTube:

Very nice, I share your enthusiasm for the Vérité, maybe I’m a grumpy old man, but I’m not as understanding of Zeos’s reviews though.

Also, I found your comments on the other site amusing, it is a bit more soul crushing than alternatives, but too me, that’s it’s charm.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #1,738 of 9,512
Very nice, I share your enthusiasm for the Vérité, maybe I’m a grumpy old man, but I’m not as understanding of Zeos’s reviews though.

Also, I found your comments on the other site amusing, it is a bit more soul crushing than alternatives, but too me, that’s it’s charm.

Haha thanks - and yeah, I agree, it's almost like a "guilty pleasure" for me :p and I do love a lot of the content in there. Honestly I just wanted to poke fun at them a little bit.

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,740 of 9,512
Hey guys, I got the Verite recently and I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted to share a review of it that I posted to YouTube:

I liked when he said "So F#$k You Zach". :laughing:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back