ZMF Verite Open
Apr 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,681 of 9,512
Do you still have auteur? Curious because I'm interested in a Verites/Auteur or Verite/Aeolus combo or ... Go full tilt with all 3 opens.

I'll have all 3 shortly. I did a comparison of the Verite/Auteur earlier in the thread. All of Zach's headphones have a different enough sig that you could own them all for a different flavor of the day. Even more so with the plentiful pad options (although not all work well).

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #1,682 of 9,512
Hi @breckstar and @lentoviolento, I traded my Autuer for a pair of Ether2 shortly after my Vérité arrived. I loved both, but they were similar enough, that I wanted to try the E2. I just traded the E2 for a Bocote Aeolus, and I’m absolutely loving this combination. All three have the ZMF musicality, with differing intonation (which is why I’m addicted to ZMF) that both seem so right (it’s very difficult to describe). Then you throw in the pad changes, with the Aeolus, it’s sock pads provide the rich, darkish, yet still detailed resolution everybody has written about. Throw on the Universal Suede Pads, you have the mids boosted, and the soundstage expands in width and depth.

With the Vérité, I prefer the Vérité Pads, tried the Universal “Flat Pad,” first, too me they shrank the soundstage, and made the treble a bit hot.

To your original question, first, you can’t go wrong with any of the three, but if I could only own one of the two Autuer or Vérité, it’s way to early to Jude the Aeolus), I’d go with the Vérité.

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,683 of 9,512
I think the Auteur is the most obvious flavor change in the ZMF lineup. It is a bright sounding headphone to my ears,versus the Atticus/Aeolus/Verite which are varying degrees of warm.

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,684 of 9,512
I have done reviews of both headphones on my Youtube channel(link in signature below)
In my system they sounded quite similar,with some differences. I suggest you watch my Empyrean review as I compare it to the Verite.
Theyre both excellent headphones and either would work,depending upon what aspects you value the most,and assuming you enjoy warm sounding headphones.

FWIW I bought the Verite prior to hearing the Empyrean,and do not regret that one bit.
Thanks, I just finished to watch both your review...amazing!
It will be a difficult choice for me. For bigger heads which one do you think works better? Is it possible to listen for 3-4 hours in row with the Verite or they will be fatiguing to wear?

Probably the extended warranty and the lower price of the Verite will also influence my final decision...

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,685 of 9,512
Thanks, I just finished to watch both your review...amazing!
It will be a difficult choice for me. For bigger heads which one do you think works better? Is it possible to listen for 3-4 hours in row with the Verite or they will be fatiguing to wear?

Probably the extended warranty and the lower price of the Verite will also influence my final decision...

As I mentioned in my reviews,I find both the Verite and Empyrean to be very comfortable,but the Meze even moreso. I could (and have)worn both for very long periods without any discomfort. I do have a small-ish head though.
The lifetime driver warranty and customer service ZMF offers is tough to beat.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #1,686 of 9,512
As I mentioned in my reviews,I find both the Verite and Empyrean to be very comfortable,but the Meze even moreso. I could (and have)worn both for very long periods without any discomfort. I do have a small-ish head though.
The lifetime driver warranty and customer service ZMF offers is tough to beat.

Thanks, is there any difference in sound between Oxizided Silkwood and Pheasantwood? I found the Silkwood discounted here in Europe...

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,687 of 9,512
is there any difference in sound between Oxizided Silkwood and Pheasantwood?
I had both wood types here at the same time and there wasnt much difference at all,both using Universe pads. I felt the Pheasantwood sounded slightly smoother in upper mids,and thus the Silkwood sounded slightly brighter,but I have no idea how much burn-in time the Silkwood had prior to me doing the comparison. Whatever difference there was IMHO was quite small.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #1,688 of 9,512
I think the Auteur is the most obvious flavor change in the ZMF lineup. It is a bright sounding headphone to my ears,versus the Atticus/Aeolus/Verite which are varying degrees of warm.

You are right. In fact it is the only one i don't regret. Atticus was almost as good as aeolus. I really cant see how the verite will improve over aeolus. I mean, i cant find flaws...maybe the bass the doesn't extend like planar do.. But personally i prefer mid bass hump and it has a lot

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #1,689 of 9,512
For electronic, jazz and progressive-rock music would you suggest the Verite or the Empyrean ?
I hope someone that listened both could answer...

Both are fast cans, if you like musicality, liveliness and stage then Verite. If you like resolution, studio clinicality then Empyrean

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,691 of 9,512
Do the Verite pads have a bigger soundstage than the Universe pads? Might have to finally try them out when I get home! (yes this is probably something I should have tried on day 1 or 2 lol)

the Verite pads (flat pads) have a more neutral tuning with smaller stage. It really reminds me of the Utopia tuning but with slight more warmth and less metallic sound. The Universal pads (thicker pads) have a warmer tuning with bigger stage. The universal pads still has great imaging and detail; it's just not as "in your face" as the verite pads.

I honestly enjoy both pads and love that I can swap between pads and change the tuning. It kind of feels like I have two different headphones for the price of one :)

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #1,692 of 9,512
Lsst 2 questions before choosing...
Again Verite vs Empyrean:

- For bad recordings (I mean loud modern music) which one is more enjoyable (more forgiving)?

- Which one gave you the impression to be more physically "solid" (more resistant, longer lasting)?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,693 of 9,512

- For bad recordings (I mean loud modern music) which one is more enjoyable (more forgiving)?

- Which one gave you the impression to be more physically "solid" (more resistant, longer lasting)?

Thanks

I think you can't go wrong either way from others' impressions. But just make sure you don't pay a MSRP for them given their high price tags.
Getting a good discount for the Verite might be harder, but I think people here are paying no more than 2.6k for a new Empy with warranty. I will put their prices into the same ball park.

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,694 of 9,512

Thanks

I find Verite more forgiving maybe it's the wood... The decay bit more natural and for both cans that are very dynamic, a touch of damping goes a long way...

Apr 14, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,695 of 9,512
A poorly shot picture, but it’s ZMF Heaven, I absolutely love this combo, ZMF Vérité Pheasant Wood, Aeolus Zircote!

4FEF8C06-6FAA-4EE1-BF75-14AEEC549BB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back