ZMF Verite Open
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3,841 of 9,512
Feb 26, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,842 of 9,512
+1 : base GOTL will be good, Glenn builds great amps.

For me, the Verite really came alive once paired with GOTL :)

IMG_20191210_214946.jpg
IMG_20191217_022248.jpg
IMG_20200208_184236.jpg

It's a punchy as heck combination with the Verite. On some songs (Sza - The Weekend) it just throws you back in your seat. Definitely miss that from the Glenn.

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3,843 of 9,512
Hello friends - I want to tag onto the Auteur/Verite discussion a little bit. I'm relatively new to the hobby (only a few months) so some of the jargon people use to describe things are a little lost on me. I've been considering purchasing a Verite lately, and I can't quite figure out if it is what I'm looking for or not. I'm hoping to get some good advice here from you folks!

I have both an Aeolus and an Auteur. The Aeolus is a wonderful, fun headphone. I love how it has something going on at the low end that kind of "punches" you with bass hits. There's plenty of bass there to enjoy. I ended up purchasing the Auteur because I wanted something with a wider soundstage, more detail, and that same kind of bass. I initially thought that punchiness I was hearing in the Aeolus was subbass, and the Auteur was described as having more of that. It seems I was incorrect, and still had much to learn from my new hobby! Although the Auteur seems to reach lower, has the wider stage, and accomplishes more detail, to my ears it's missing that same fun thump that the Aeolus had.

I've been tinkering with my EQ the past few days trying to artificially put that back in. I've tried a lower shelf, which just gives me a headache since the subbass gets boosted, and I've tried a ~100-150 Hz hump. The latter gets closer, but it feels like that makes the bass bleed into the mids. This leads me to believe that maybe the Auteur just isn't going to be able to do what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful headphone and vocals are just top notch on it. I think I'm just kind of a bass-lover.

Is the Verite what I'm after?

I feel like I could resolve a lot of these questions if I were only able to demo a Verite, but there doesn't seem to be much around the Albuquerque, NM area. If anyone is local and would be willing to let me have a listen, I'd be so very grateful. Any other opinions are similarly welcome and appreciated!

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3,844 of 9,512
Hello friends - I want to tag onto the Auteur/Verite discussion a little bit. I'm relatively new to the hobby (only a few months) so some of the jargon people use to describe things are a little lost on me. I've been considering purchasing a Verite lately, and I can't quite figure out if it is what I'm looking for or not. I'm hoping to get some good advice here from you folks!

I have both an Aeolus and an Auteur. The Aeolus is a wonderful, fun headphone. I love how it has something going on at the low end that kind of "punches" you with bass hits. There's plenty of bass there to enjoy. I ended up purchasing the Auteur because I wanted something with a wider soundstage, more detail, and that same kind of bass. I initially thought that punchiness I was hearing in the Aeolus was subbass, and the Auteur was described as having more of that. It seems I was incorrect, and still had much to learn from my new hobby! Although the Auteur seems to reach lower, has the wider stage, and accomplishes more detail, to my ears it's missing that same fun thump that the Aeolus had.

I've been tinkering with my EQ the past few days trying to artificially put that back in. I've tried a lower shelf, which just gives me a headache since the subbass gets boosted, and I've tried a ~100-150 Hz hump. The latter gets closer, but it feels like that makes the bass bleed into the mids. This leads me to believe that maybe the Auteur just isn't going to be able to do what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful headphone and vocals are just top notch on it. I think I'm just kind of a bass-lover.

I feel like I could resolve a lot of these questions if I were only able to demo a Verite, but there doesn't seem to be much around the Albuquerque, NM area. If anyone is local and would be willing to let me have a listen, I'd be so very grateful. Any other opinions are similarly welcome and appreciated!

Your EQ hump should peak around 80hz to have good mid bass without bleeding to the mids. Also don't forget to change the Q factor to change how narrow or wide the hump is, and make sure it does not extend beyond ~180hz.

Me myself I just apply a bass shelf when needed since I don't get fatigued by the sub bass.

If at the same frequency response, the Verite is the punchiest ZMF cans according to Zack when I asked him before buying the Verite.

P.S.
Don't rush your audiophile journey, take enough time to enjoy, appreciate and learn your current gear before looking for the next best thing, because it never ends :) .

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,845 of 9,512

Looks like we share the same questions apart from having the Aeolus too :p

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,847 of 9,512

I was in your shoes not long ago. A couple years ago purchased an Atticus and Auteur. Initially I preferred the Auteur, but soon with a pad swap found the Atticus to be one of the more cozy, unique and satisfying headphones I've ever owned, especially with a touch of EQ. The Auteur, while having sub bass I found to lack bass impact which is what I think you were going for. I also found it fatiguing as it peaked in the same frequencies I'm sensitive to and in busy songs the upper mids/lower treble get shouty with instruments piling on top of each other due to the stage lacking depth. EQ, while improving the Atticus quite a bit, didn't help much with the Auteur. Ended up selling it last fall despite how gorgeous it looked and sounded for the most part, but it just wasn't for me.

I had heard the Utopia multiple times in shops and enjoyed its detail and impact while lamenting its tonality a bit, especially on certain gear, and this experience led me to know what to expect from a beryllium driver (also heard the Clear and Elear). But the detail was incredible, even compared to electrostats, which have issues with dynamics and impact comparatively speaking, and always kept coming back to it every time I was in a shop with other TOTLs. Having read Zach's attempt to build a headphone with it to create a sound that melded the speed, detail and impact/dynamics of the material with his signature warmth (with dips in all the right frequencies in the measurements for my subjective preferences), I ended up buying the Verite. Having had it for a few weeks now, I will definitely say it does everything I wanted the Auteur to do: it has sub bass, mid bass and bass impact in a very big way, has proper 3D depth to the sound stage that is also quite wide, never gets shouty in the mids/highs, has detail that competes with $3-5k cans. I find it needs no EQ (many others here and elsewhere lament the 3khz dip, I freaking love it and it accentuates the 3D depth by layering the frequencies better in the stage in front of you). It's probably what you are looking for, but it's also quite a thing to take a flight on a headphone that expensive not having heard even similar sounding technology.

I'm assuming you're already planning on selling the Auteur and buying the Verite, is it more expensive for you to travel to the nearest place that has a Verite for you to try vs buying it new and selling it used? If you're fine buying used, that might be the way to go, as you can then sell it around the same price if it's not your thing.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,848 of 9,512
I was in your shoes not long ago. A couple years ago purchased an Atticus and Auteur. Initially I preferred the Auteur, but soon with a pad swap found the Atticus to be one of the more cozy, unique and satisfying headphones I've ever owned, especially with a touch of EQ. The Auteur, while having sub bass I found to lack bass impact which is what I think you were going for. I also found it fatiguing as it peaked in the same frequencies I'm sensitive to and in busy songs the upper mids/lower treble get shouty with instruments piling on top of each other due to the stage lacking depth. EQ, while improving the Atticus quite a bit, didn't help much with the Auteur. Ended up selling it last fall despite how gorgeous it looked and sounded for the most part, but it just wasn't for me.

I had heard the Utopia multiple times in shops and enjoyed its detail and impact while lamenting its tonality a bit, especially on certain gear, and this experience led me to know what to expect from a beryllium driver (also heard the Clear and Elear). But the detail was incredible, even compared to electrostats, which have issues with dynamics and impact comparatively speaking, and always kept coming back to it every time I was in a shop with other TOTLs. Having read Zach's attempt to build a headphone with it to create a sound that melded the speed, detail and impact/dynamics of the material with his signature warmth (with dips in all the right frequencies in the measurements for my subjective preferences), I ended up buying the Verite. Having had it for a few weeks now, I will definitely say it does everything I wanted the Auteur to do: it has sub bass, mid bass and bass impact in a very big way, has proper 3D depth to the sound stage that is also quite wide, never gets shouty in the mids/highs, has detail that competes with $3-5k cans. I find it needs no EQ (many others here and elsewhere lament the 3khz dip, I freaking love it and it accentuates the 3D depth by layering the frequencies better in the stage in front of you). It's probably what you are looking for, but it's also quite a thing to take a flight on a headphone that expensive not having heard even similar sounding technology.

I'm assuming you're already planning on selling the Auteur and buying the Verite, is it more expensive for you to travel to the nearest place that has a Verite for you to try vs buying it new and selling it used? If you're fine buying used, that might be the way to go, as you can then sell it around the same price if it's not your thing.
Thank you very, very much for this extremely detailed and helpful advice!

I think we are of the same mind when it comes to preferences. I do find with the Auteur that I am lacking the impact that you're talking about. It's not fatiguing for me at all, and I don't sense a lot of "shout", or at least I don't think I do. But I am missing something that initially I didn't notice/mind but lately it seems to be more and more apparent when I put them on.

If the Verite fits the bill for me and doesn't necessitate I swap back and forth to the Auteur for different genres, I would sell the Auteur. However, I don't absolutely have to sell the Auteur to enable the purchase. I also am OK with buying used, but probably ought to support ZMF by buying at least one of my beloved cans new from them. :) The main problem is one you hit on the head: there's not really much around NM for me to try. The cheapest options might be to fly to CanJam SoCal in June, or drive up to RMAF in October. Both I could probably swing. Ideally I'd love to try one out locally, but the only shop in town doesn't have ZMFs, and I don't know of anyone here in ABQ that has a Verite.

However, your advice here has given me the strong impression that the Verite is indeed what I'm looking for. I'll keep my eyes peeled for good deals.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #3,849 of 9,512
Thank you very, very much for this extremely detailed and helpful advice!

I think we are of the same mind when it comes to preferences. I do find with the Auteur that I am lacking the impact that you're talking about. It's not fatiguing for me at all, and I don't sense a lot of "shout", or at least I don't think I do. But I am missing something that initially I didn't notice/mind but lately it seems to be more and more apparent when I put them on.

If the Verite fits the bill for me and doesn't necessitate I swap back and forth to the Auteur for different genres, I would sell the Auteur. However, I don't absolutely have to sell the Auteur to enable the purchase. I also am OK with buying used, but probably ought to support ZMF by buying at least one of my beloved cans new from them. :) The main problem is one you hit on the head: there's not really much around NM for me to try. The cheapest options might be to fly to CanJam SoCal in June, or drive up to RMAF in October. Both I could probably swing. Ideally I'd love to try one out locally, but the only shop in town doesn't have ZMFs, and I don't know of anyone here in ABQ that has a Verite.

However, your advice here has given me the strong impression that the Verite is indeed what I'm looking for. I'll keep my eyes peeled for good deals.
FWIW I had the exact same experience as @octobeard . I borrowed both Auteur & Verite at different times, and his description matches my experience exactly, as does his impressions of the Verite. I think you'll like them, but yeah it's almost impossible to tell with out a demo. Any CanJam (or RMAF) would likely be a fun trip either way, so I recommend it if it's feasible...good times.

Good luck!

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,851 of 9,512
Has anyone tried to fit an audeze suspension headband to their Verite? Audeze and ZMF both use similar posts to attached the headband to the ear cups. The posts actually look to be the same thickness so it should be a simple swap.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3,852 of 9,512
Has anyone tried to fit an audeze suspension headband to their Verite? Audeze and ZMF both use similar posts to attached the headband to the ear cups. The posts actually look to be the same thickness so it should be a simple swap.
I'm not sure I'd try it anyway, I find the ZMF's far more comfortable, but of course YMMV.

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #3,853 of 9,512
Just went to try VO, VC & Auteur

def prefer the way Auteur sounded although it had more inferior resolution and speed compared to the VO

however there happened to be an Empyrean beside and my goodness was I blown away

source was TT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back