ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #10,711 of 12,429
That's really useful information thanks.

Cayin C9 would mean I need a DAC or would have to buy a player.
What would be advantage of streaming Tidal via my phone compared to streaming Tidal from a DAP?

Will have a look at WA11.
Good point on the Cayin.

The biggest advantage I’ve found with DAPs is the absence of connecting cables between my phone and the DAP, so easier to carry around in a pocket.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #10,712 of 12,429
oh DAMN, good vocals on this are sublime, so much emotion comes through...Listening to Runaway by AURORA with tears in my eyes. Also, this

There's a string instrument thats used there (and on some other songs of 'The Hu'), idk the name or if it's just a modded bass guitar: it's bassy but different from a usual bass string you hear in western music, the decay and timbre - the bass feels different, and decays a little differently as compared to some of the related but higher frequency sounds i've never been able to distinguish timber and other nuances quite so clearly before. And throat singing is just something else hearing through the VCs...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #10,713 of 12,429
So, I have a dilemma:
As stated earlier, I want a transportable solution to be able to enjoy my headphones in my campervan. Currently using Meze Elites, but expecting some Verite Closed soon.
At the moment, I mainly listen to streamed Tidal or Qobuz, sitting down in one place or another.

It appears I have a couple of choices:

1) Get a DAP (eg. A&K SP1000/2000, Cayin N8 etc.) and straight into the headphones (Verite Closed/Elites). This may require additional amping.

2) Continue to use my phone (currently Oppo Find X2 pro) and get a DAC/amp (eg WA11/8, Hugo etc. + decent cable to connect the pair.

Listening on-the-go is not something I am interested in so pocket portability is not a consideration. I want something that will fit on, say, a shelf in my camper so desktop DAC/amp is not viable.

Although I will listen outside the van, again sitting comfortably not walking, when inside, I will be able to plug in as we mainly camp with hook-up.

Which of the two options do members consider the better one?

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #10,715 of 12,429
So, I have a dilemma:
As stated earlier, I want a transportable solution to be able to enjoy my headphones in my campervan. Currently using Meze Elites, but expecting some Verite Closed soon.
At the moment, I mainly listen to streamed Tidal or Qobuz, sitting down in one place or another.

It appears I have a couple of choices:

1) Get a DAP (eg. A&K SP1000/2000, Cayin N8 etc.) and straight into the headphones (Verite Closed/Elites). This may require additional amping.

2) Continue to use my phone (currently Oppo Find X2 pro) and get a DAC/amp (eg WA11/8, Hugo etc. + decent cable to connect the pair.

Listening on-the-go is not something I am interested in so pocket portability is not a consideration. I want something that will fit on, say, a shelf in my camper so desktop DAC/amp is not viable.

Although I will listen outside the van, again sitting comfortably not walking, when inside, I will be able to plug in as we mainly camp with hook-up.

Which of the two options do members consider the better one?
One option I'm itching to try one day is the new ifi Diablo. I haven't had the chance to hear it yet (and definitely not with the VC) but from what I've heard from trusted ears, it might be a good option to include on your list. Otherwise I imagine one of the Woo or Chord options would work better than a DAP, of course YMMV.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #10,716 of 12,429
One option I'm itching to try one day is the new ifi Diablo. I haven't had the chance to hear it yet (and definitely not with the VC) but from what I've heard from trusted ears, it might be a good option to include on your list. Otherwise I imagine one of the Woo or Chord options would work better than a DAP, of course YMMV.
Thanks. Following research, I'm coming to the conclusion that a DAP is not the way to go for me.
I will probably end up going for a DAC/amp.
Ifi Diablo not something I have thought of so will have a look at that one.
Another user suggested Ifi Gryphon too so getting a few ideas to consider.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #10,717 of 12,429
It's only been a few days with the VC, so i expect this to change with time (hopefully for the better). So far though, after the initial excitement phase I found the Eikon (which I had thought were Atticus for the longest time) to be...boring. I don't much care for bass, contrary to your preferences, i listen to more "classic rock" and maybe some modern stuff but mostly things with more mids and low highs (vocals, guitars, violins etc). So far i find the VC to **not** have that initial excitement as i'd mentioned but...somehow more addictive. I really cannot stop listening to music, it's been YEARS since i've not just enjoyed my music this much but wanted to listen to more songs. I have music playing like 8-10 hours everyday now.

The one thing I do find though is that VC is a lot more "laidback" than Eikon, at least to my ears. I didn't really know what that word meant until recently but basically, the Eikon would present me my music with some coloring (more bass slam for example), a bit bland other than that and not as much detail BUT SHOVE it in my face. On the flipside so far the VC has been much more neutral (almost like it's getting out of the way and letting the music speak for itself, at least that's the impression i get), shocking amount of detail and GODLIKE speed (like really, DAMN should have just named these headphones "the flash") but I need to actually walk around the room, get up from my 'chair' and walk around to see all the details, not just because there's a lot of it but because it doesn't shove any of that in your face.

I think some pad swapping and some more burning may make it a little more forward. And i'm sure a more powerful Tube Amp would bring back a bit more of the slam, but...the end result regardless is that i'm listening and enjoying my music much more. Could that be all in my head (i mean, look at it, it's so pretty!) sure...who cares though.

Well I've had the VC for about a week not and so far I'm having the EXACT same experience. Like to the letter. I was initially a little bummed because the bass slam is the most immediately noticeable characteristic of any headphone to my ears and the Eikon wins in that regard, but the VC pretty much smokes it in every other way. Just like you said it's definitely more "laid back" but only because it seems to make such an effort to give equal emphasis to all parts of the music rather than just a punch of bass right to the eardrums with flat response otherwise (like the Eikon). I've been A/B testing them across three amps and three sets of pads for the past week, and I the longer I listen the more I find myself wanting the VC on my head rather than the Eikon. I also find myself more engaged in the music overall, with the one exception being for bass-heavy electronic music. Now this is probably 50-60% of the music I enjoy so I still need something that can really rattle my gray matter, but I gather that's just not what the VC was made to do. Like you said though, I just keep gulping down as much music as possible. In particular I find the VC to shine on anything with vocals, but I've been having a blast with reggae, pop, rock (of all genres/eras), jazz, hip-hop, and classical music (particularly classical guitar tracks). This might be the most non-electronic music I've listened to in years!

On that front I think the Kennerton GH50-JM Edition will still hold its crown as my favorite headphones for electronic music (of all types... house, techno, dubstep, whatever). This also resolves my biggest issue with the Eikon, namely that it always seemed to do a lot of the same stuff as the Kennerton and cater to a similar musical style but it was never better-enough for me to pick it up over the GH50-JM. The Kennerton is honestly the most FUN headphone I've ever heard for electronic genres, but it's not quite as well rounded as the VC and thus it occupies a very different territory to my ears. As such, rather than competing (like the GH50-JM and Eikon) I've found that these two sets complement each other beautifully! It's also very worth noting that the bass on the VC still sounds pretty incredible (it's just so so so freakin' fast) and it still keeps me quite happy when I'm listening to lots of genres, but I can't switch back and forth between the VC and the GH50-JM while listening to bass-heavy tracks or I get suckered into wanting more slam and less balance.

All told I'm about as happy as can be with this purchase, but the one hiccup came from my big-ass ears which demand a slightly different route for the pads. Unfortunately the ZMF pads have always been a little too shallow for me (ears touch the drivers), but thankfully the Dekoni pads for Audeze work PERFECTLY once you remove the plastic ring and the rear-mounted adhesive. It's a slow process getting that double-sided tape off the pads, but 20min of work produce my absolute favorite ZMF pads. They're big and soft and even work well with my glasses! The fatter pads push the cups a bit farther from my ears which makes the soundstage even more expansive, and to my ears it helps to calm down the treble (which is a sensitive point on ALL headphones for me). I'm currently using it with the "Choice Suede" pads for Audeze, but I have a set of the "Elite Lambskin" pads en route. Hoping it bumps the low end a little closer to my preferences.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #10,718 of 12,429
I have an Astell &Kern SP2000T DAP and for the brief time I had the VO it was able to drive it to very decent level that I was quite satisfied with . It also has 3 different amp modes including a Tube mode .
I think this is a clean solution . You can also consider the new Astell&Kern Kann Alpha Max which has more power in an even smaller footprint

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #10,719 of 12,429
I have an Astell &Kern SP2000T DAP and for the brief time I had the VO it was able to drive it to very decent level that I was quite satisfied with . It also has 3 different amp modes including a Tube mode .
I think this is a clean solution . You can also consider the new Astell&Kern Kann Alpha Max which has more power in an even smaller footprint
The Kann, like many DAPs, seems really geared to those with a physical music library rather than streaming. Might have to handle one to see it's functionality.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #10,720 of 12,429
The Kann, like many DAPs, seems really geared to those with a physical music library rather than streaming. Might have to handle one to see it's functionality.
Actually the streaming features are pretty well integrated in the latest A&K DAPs. Obviously you're tethered to a WiFi connection but my experience with Tidal which I use extensively on the SP2000T is pretty good.
Give it a whirl ..

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #10,721 of 12,429
I will now attempt to pick a mobile setup with the VC’s using the Woo WA8, the WA11, the Chord Hugo 2 and the iBasso DX320.

Chances are good that I’ll have no clue which one is better or worse and instead of a deep analysis with lots of metaphors describing the sound quality, you’ll get one word answers and lots of “meh” type of responses.

Attachments

• B6B8B35F-CF8E-4A33-B78D-879957A6FC36.jpeg
    B6B8B35F-CF8E-4A33-B78D-879957A6FC36.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #10,722 of 12,429
I will now attempt to pick a mobile setup with the VC’s using the Woo WA8, the WA11, the Chord Hugo 2 and the iBasso DX320.

Chances are good that I’ll have no clue which one is better or worse and instead of a deep analysis with lots of metaphors describing the sound quality, you’ll get one word answers and lots of “meh” type of responses.
Auditioning them is my problem so very interested in your findings.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #10,723 of 12,429
I have nothing against A&K, they make excellent DAPs, it's just when powering full sized headphones, there's 'good enough', then there's 'good'. DAPS by nature are running at a disadvantage due to size. Any portable has the same challenge of course, some are better than others. I just lean towards a bit more robust power....YMMV of course.

Aug 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #10,724 of 12,429

Well, it's pretty much what you would expect.

The Hugo 2 has the best transients but since I listen to my EDM loud, it sounds a bit thin compared to the others. Once the volume goes from blue to white it sounds like it's shouting. If you're a Chord house sound fan, then you will like this.

The other easy one is the Woo WA8. The tubes make it sound VERY smooth compared to the others. It doesn't have the punch/slam compared to the others but it's noticeably smoother. Depending on the music you listen to, this may be your favorite.

The iBasso DX320 and the Woo WA11 are closer together but the WA11 is slightly warmer and has more power and accurate bass versus the DX320 bass is slightly muddier when comparing the two. They both hit better than the Hugo 2 or the WA8. From a bass perspective the WA8 is the weakest, then Hugo 2, then DX320 and finally the Wa11 is my favorite.

For me the convenience of the DX320 of not having an extra cable and device that acts as the source is a big deal. It will likely be my most used setup. It sounds pretty good and convenience makes it my favorite. None of these are ultimate sound quality compared to my main setup so it's all about form factor, ease of use, flexibility and good enough sound quality. My second choice would probably be the WA11, especially if I had other headphones that needed the power (with balanced output).

So "meh" all around, there are some differences, pick your poison. :wink:

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #10,725 of 12,429
Thanks. Following research, I'm coming to the conclusion that a DAP is not the way to go for me.
I will probably end up going for a DAC/amp.
Ifi Diablo not something I have thought of so will have a look at that one.
Another user suggested Ifi Gryphon too so getting a few ideas to consider.
Daps are primarily designed for iems uses so it's probably a good call to forego that.

If the old nano and micro black label are anything to go by, the Diablo will be at the top of my list for transportable amp. I've heard great things about the Diablo with the hd650 and based on my experience, amps that works with the senns generally work well with Verite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back