ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #8,476 of 12,429
Anyone tried fa stuff from flux lab
It's been awhile since I mentioned just how absolutely fantastic vintage solid state receivers from 1970s are with not only the VC, but pretty much all high impedance headphones, and some planars as well.
Typically a vintage piece will:

Cost less than a modern headphone amp

Have built in tone control for bass/mids/highs, as well as seperate bass and treble boost.

Have many more inputs for added fexibility

Can also drive speakers

Can pickup local radio if that's your thing.

Cons:

Require a sizeable chunk of real estate.
One must know how to work on electronics, or have a vintage audio repair shop nearby. A quick Google will tell you. Often times vintage gear needs a tuneup to sound fantastic.

For more info, check my Youtube channel on the vintage receivers as a headphone amp video I did awhile back. Link in signature

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #8,477 of 12,429
Agreed...there are SS amps with flabby bass and thin dry tube amps out there. I always believe implementation means a lot more than topology overall. 1000% agree with Monster that synergy is key here. What sound you're looking for, obviously the pads, which DAC in use (and many would add cables but I won't start up that kerfuffle again).

I can vouch for the Pendant as being less 'warm-poo' as the say and I've head the same of the SW51 & Quicksilver (though haven't heard them myself). On the SS side there have been lots of recommendations from the likes of JDS, Gilmore, ifi, Schiit and many more. @Pharmaboy has recently found good results from his Liqiuid Gold-X.

It can be frustrating trying to dial in a system around a particular headphone, and as much as I think the VC is worthy of doing so, there is also a point at which you decide it'd be better to find another headphone that suits your preference more. No one can decide that but you of course, but the upside is that the resale value of ZMF is really good.
Indeed, I can definitely vouch for the JDS amps being nice, I also use my VC with a micro idsd Signature and it sounds really nice on that, especially with the Hybrid Auteur pads and the bass boost toggle on for some songs.

Speaking of that amp, my sister's BF wanted to hear my VC a few days ago from my Signature, but his hearing is quite bad... does anyone know if listening to the Micro Signature on lowest gain but highest volume would be loud enough to damage the VC drivers over like 40 or so seconds? I usually listen on the lowest gain at like 11-12 o' clock with 12 toeing the line of being almost too loud for me. I've been listening to it in the meantime but I don't think I'm hearing anything out of the ordinary.

Also does anyone know what thread locker is recommended to use with the VC rods? When swapping to my suede strap I may have 'unlocked' the rod from the cup a bit.

Nov 21, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #8,479 of 12,429
The Olive VC I picked up is looking really handsome tonight on the Olive Ash Burl stand I got on Etsy. It almost looks like the stand was made for these headphones. If I can help it, I don’t like to have these VC’s off my head. But when life beckons, they sure do look good sitting there waiting for the next listening session!
E21877F7-95A6-4FE6-8F26-2354083ACCDD.jpeg
In perfect harmony! Nicely done @ckhirnigs113.

Nov 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #8,482 of 12,429
Indeed, I can definitely vouch for the JDS amps being nice, I also use my VC with a micro idsd Signature and it sounds really nice on that, especially with the Hybrid Auteur pads and the bass boost toggle on for some songs.

Speaking of that amp, my sister's BF wanted to hear my VC a few days ago from my Signature, but his hearing is quite bad... does anyone know if listening to the Micro Signature on lowest gain but highest volume would be loud enough to damage the VC drivers over like 40 or so seconds? I usually listen on the lowest gain at like 11-12 o' clock with 12 toeing the line of being almost too loud for me. I've been listening to it in the meantime but I don't think I'm hearing anything out of the ordinary.

Also does anyone know what thread locker is recommended to use with the VC rods? When swapping to my suede strap I may have 'unlocked' the rod from the cup a bit.
Zach recommends loctite thread locker BLUE color.

Nov 21, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #8,483 of 12,429

I would very much doubt listening on a loudness level a human can deal with (even one semi deaf) would damage the VC Drivers

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #8,485 of 12,429
Based off some recommendations here and elsewhere I decided to upgrade from my magni/modi stack and got a bifrost 2/liquid platinum combo to go with my new verite closed headphones. Today was a meteor to the wallet but I’m looking forward to it!!

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #8,486 of 12,429
Zach recommends loctite thread locker BLUE color.
PSA! Vibra-Tite VC3 is the SAFEST and really only thread locker we recommend. Anything else on MAG chassis will strip the paint. Also - regular loctite if it gets on the headphone cups is very bad news to the finish as well. VC3 for the win.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 21, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #8,487 of 12,429
JDS Element 2 was the budget option recommended by Zach. It really is a nice all in one unit at a very good price point if that's a factor. I believe that's what they run on their QC stations.

I can vouch to the Element 2. Terrific pairing, good all-in-one box.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #8,488 of 12,429
I can vouch to the Element 2. Terrific pairing, good all-in-one box.
I used the JDS Labs EL Amp II with my VC before I got my tube amps. It’s a great budget option.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #8,489 of 12,429

If you're listening to VC with a micro iDSD Signature on "Eco" power mode at around 11-12 o'clock I can say with a decent level of confidence that you're nowhere near to blasting out the drivers. I have that same portable amp/dac (great unit BTW, just didn't provide enough power for the VC's low end for my liking) and I've listened a lot louder than what you're describing with that unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back