ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #8,371 of 12,461
@zach915m , any word on when the new crescent pad will be put up for existing owners to purchase?

Also, how does this compare to the current co-pilot pad for reducing pressure at the top of one's head?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #8,372 of 12,461
Well the money from the recent sale of my Manchurian Ash VC was definitely burning a hole in my pocket. I couldn’t even wait until the 21st to see what Zach will be selling during ZMF November. A lovely set of LTD Olive VC’s with brass rods called to me, and I was helpless to resist! Here’s what I’ve got heading my way soon:
5AF46423-04AB-4C22-A23C-B101754E56FC.jpeg
C4EBA8DA-1539-46C6-9D37-6B287413147F.jpeg
Always thought the olives were one of the best looking VCs

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #8,373 of 12,461
I haven't posted here (here being Head-Fi) in many months, but today is the 1 year anniversary of the arrival of the Koa VC. So I thought it was appropriate to jump back in and say hello to everyone. These headphones have killed any desire for anything else, and even my poor Aeolus aren't getting much time anymore. A big part of why I haven't been posting here (outside of being ridiculously busy) is I'm just enjoying listening to music. I'm happy with the DAC, amps, VC, and how they all work together. Currently listening to Gov't Mule's new album Heavy Load Blues on Qobuz with the Bifrost2 and OG Pendant. Last night was the same chain but with the Elekit amp I built earlier this year. Sometimes the GOTL is in the chain. The VC gives you detail, stage, speed, isolation, wonderful tone, and at the same time makes all of it just fun to listen to.

Thanks to the ZMF team for creating these amazing headphones!!!

IMG_2998.JPG
Your post is the best compliment to the VC and your associated gear: you'd rather listen to music than write about it! Enjoy @GDuss.

Nov 17, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #8,375 of 12,461
I've owned this headphone (Leopardwood) for a little over a week now and have used the Auteur Hybrid almost exclusively.
As I've said previously: I feel like it's such a nice and full and comfy sounding headphone that really is encouraging absolute relaxation more than anything else I've ever experienced - perhaps the closed nature of the design also contributes to this feeling, as you can more fully immerse yourself in any music.
That's not to say that it's also incredibly revealing and exciting though.
I don't think that this warmer presentation (which is what I always preferred) necessarily means that anything else is really lost (and this is all on Euforia stock tubes - I know, I will try the Chatham 6as7g once I find them).

Anyway, what I wanted to comment on is that I recently bought some full leather Auteurs, and I don't like them.
While I recognize that this is a pretty extreme thing to say when I love the sound with the Hybrids, it just ever so slightly tilts it to too in my face or too shouty.
In a sense I almost feel like it turns it into less of an open-feeling headphone as well, I can almost feel the sound being trapped around me.
Perhaps I also didn't give that setup enough of a chance - I only used them for about an hour or two and just couldn't enjoy myself - perhaps there were other factors at play, such as how I felt that day and obviously my setup.

This experience has really turned me off of trying the leather Universe pads, but it has reaffirmed my desire to give the Universe Hybrids a shot and it makes me really excited about what you can achieve with a simple pad change.
I do believe though that what I have now is exactly what I want - so now it is more a matter of experimentation.

The Verite C is the best closed headphone I've ever heard and it is one of the best headphones open or closed I've ever listened to.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #8,376 of 12,461
This experience has really turned me off of trying the leather Universe pads, but it has reaffirmed my desire to give the Universe Hybrids a shot and it makes me really excited about what you can achieve with a simple pad change.
I do believe though that what I have now is exactly what I want - so now it is more a matter of experimentation.

The Verite C is the best closed headphone I've ever heard and it is one of the best headphones open or closed I've ever listened to.

I highly recommend you to try the Universe Hybrid pads. I know it's subjective and maybe I'm weird, but I cannot understand how peoples can like the VC with the Auteur pads. (Both versions) ***I'm only listening to Hard-Rock and Metal***

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #8,377 of 12,461
I highly recommend you to try the Universe Hybrid pads. I know it's subjective and maybe I'm weird, but I cannot understand how peoples can like the VC with the Auteur pads. (Both versions) ***I'm only listening to Hard-Rock and Metal***
I feel the same way after EQing the 3-5 kHz region up. I haven't tried the hybrids or suede but I have auteur, universe, BE2, and verite leathers. I prefer the BE2 over my initial comparison of the four pads with my olives. After EQing the VC, it makes me want to hear the Auteur.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #8,379 of 12,461
Would most folks here concur to the Auteur being the ZMF complement to the VC? Or is the VO the go-to for most here when they want to swap to an open back for a bit?
Those are the two ZMF's I own currently. I think they are good complements to each other, but I'm actually going back and forth in my mind about whether I need both. I think I could be happy with either, but at the moment, I'm leaning towards going with the Auteur as my main headphone. I just received my Olive VC yesterday, so I need to spend some more time with it before I make any decisions.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #8,380 of 12,461
Would most folks here concur to the Auteur being the ZMF complement to the VC? Or is the VO the go-to for most here when they want to swap to an open back for a bit?
I think the auteur is warmer and mid focused, while the VC is more sparkly top end with deep layered low end. I own all three VC, VO and Auteur. They each have their own characteristics. The vo is more airy with grand soundstage and spot on instrument separation.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #8,381 of 12,461
Those are the two ZMF's I own currently. I think they are good complements to each other, but I'm actually going back and forth in my mind about whether I need both. I think I could be happy with either, but at the moment, I'm leaning towards going with the Auteur as my main headphone. I just received my Olive VC yesterday, so I need to spend some more time with it before I make any decisions.
I feel like the VC could have an edge with EDM, rock, gaming/movies (live, 3D-ness), and sound isolation (obv)

vs VO/VC, Auteur probably has an edge on any acoustic and vocal tracks, jazz, etc with its bio. drivers and mids-focus

Would that be a fair oversimplification? :)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #8,382 of 12,461
I feel the same way after EQing the 3-5 kHz region up. I haven't tried the hybrids or suede but I have auteur, universe, BE2, and verite leathers. I prefer the BE2 over my initial comparison of the four pads with my olives. After EQing the VC, it makes me want to hear the Auteur.

I will probably order the BE2 leather pads to compare them with the Universe hybrids. I never tried EQing the VC, but I wouldn't mind a little bit of boost in the upper mids.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #8,383 of 12,461
That’s the two sets I use but I’m sorely tempted to get a VO to compare with my Auteurs and likely sell the one that loses out

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #8,384 of 12,461
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #8,385 of 12,461

Users who are viewing this thread

Back