ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #8,221 of 12,391
Anyone heard the VC off a Hagerman Tuba? Interested in the African wood, but my chain is a Modi 3+ and Tuba.
I also considered the Tuba when I was looking to buy my first tube amp. Everything I’ve read says it’s a good amp especially if you upgrade the tubes. I think it is a rather neutral tube amp which is probably a good fit with the VC.

Along with the Quicksilver, I also have the SW51+. It’s a great neutral tube amp for even less money than the Tuba, but they are much harder to get your hands on!

If you can swing a Quicksilver, I heartily recommend it. Quite a few of us use it with various ZMF’s and love the combination.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #8,222 of 12,391
I got the Verite Open here from Head-Fi and been enjoying them greatly. However, my main issue with the headphones is how distant or diffused(?) the vocals can sound.

Been searching through the thread that the Verite Closed solves that issue, due to the closed back nature? Is it worth the swap?

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #8,223 of 12,391
I got the Verite Open here from Head-Fi and been enjoying them greatly. However, my main issue with the headphones is how distant or diffused(?) the vocals can sound.

Been searching through the thread that the Verite Closed solves that issue, due to the closed back nature? Is it worth the swap?
Have you tried swapping pads to Verite or BE2 perforated pads ?

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #8,224 of 12,391
Have you tried swapping pads to Verite or BE2 perforated pads ?
Yeah. I just got the be2 today, so I'll probably need to listen some more, but the voices still seem a bit distant. Might be a preference thing.

When I had the TH900, I didn't mind the distant voices because they were super clear and bright, but since these are warmer, I think I may want them a little closer...

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #8,225 of 12,391
Yeah. I just got the be2 today, so I'll probably need to listen some more, but the voices still seem a bit distant. Might be a preference thing.

When I had the TH900, I didn't mind the distant voices because they were super clear and bright, but since these are warmer, I think I may want them a little closer...
Silver cables have great effect too on the sound. May be worth trying some silver cables too. It makes the warmer sound bit airy, increases clarity and increases separation of instruments.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #8,226 of 12,391

This was the same problem I had with my VO. I find it less of a problem on the VC. The Auteur is the best at vocal presence out of the three.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #8,227 of 12,391

If you're willing/able to EQ, I found that the Verite Closed also suffers this issue on both default and Eikon Suede pads (I've no clue if it extends to others, these are the only two I have) but can be eased with a gentle bump in the ~5khz region.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #8,228 of 12,391
If you're willing/able to EQ, I found that the Verite Closed also suffers this issue on both default and Eikon Suede pads (I've no clue if it extends to others, these are the only two I have) but can be eased with a gentle bump in the ~5khz region.
I think the bump required is closer to 3k? I sometimes apply some EQ to bring the 5k peak down a little.

Verite-Closed-Auteur-lambskin.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #8,230 of 12,391
I think the bump required is closer to 3k? I sometimes apply some EQ to bring the 5k peak down a little.

Would love to see a graph for either BE2 or Verite pads, both in leather. I switched from BE2 to Veritie the other day and found it really hit the spot. I'm very sensitive to that mid-bass bump most other pads generate, and the Verite seems about as linear as one can hope for. Sounded much faster with greater attack than any other pad I tried.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #8,231 of 12,391

1635852904888.png

These come from the AutoEQ derived from Crinacles measurements above.
I definitely recommend having a play with the AutoEQ profile, it helps Mid / Treble presence alot. However it does pull back on the reverb effect stock tuning gives.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/ZMF Verite Closed (Auteur lambskin earpads)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #8,232 of 12,391
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #8,233 of 12,391
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #8,234 of 12,391
Thanks for posting. Trying it on Roon right now and so far pretty impressive. :L3000:

Yep, that classic ZMF upper mid dip can be something of an acquired taste. When I first got the VCs, I wasn't the biggest fan of that aspect, even though it contributed to the perceived soundstage. Both the Auteur Hybrid pads and the universe pads bring up the vocals nicely, and I really enjoy them, though I'm currently back to the stock Auteur Lambs because I really like that extra bit of clarity and bass, and I'm finding that I'm okay with the slightly withdrawn upper mids at 3K. EQ, tubes, or a pad swap handles it nicely.

Nov 2, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #8,235 of 12,391
Yep, that classic ZMF upper mid dip can be something of an acquired taste. When I first got the VCs, I wasn't the biggest fan of that aspect, even though it contributed to the perceived soundstage. Both the Auteur Hybrid pads and the universe pads bring up the vocals nicely, and I really enjoy them, though I'm currently back to the stock Auteur Lambs because I really like that extra bit of clarity and bass, and I'm finding that I'm okay with the slightly withdrawn upper mids at 3K. EQ, tubes, or a pad swap handles it nicely.
Actually... so far I don't mind the mid dip nor peak at 5k much at all. Read lots about both before receiving my VC about a month or two ago and thought it would bug me too but it doesn't so far. The EQ setting though seems like an interesting change but I can't really say yet I prefer one over the other.

My last pair of daily drivers was the Clears. Compared to those the VC EQ'ed or no EQ is a huge upgrade IMHO and much better fit for my tastes. I did briefly try the Eikons before the VCs and didn't find the difference so stark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back