ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 12, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #8,071 of 12,461
I hope burn-in does the trick. In the end, it may be a lack of synergy. I’m a big believer in synergy. You just gotta take everyone’s recommendations with a grain of salt and try what you can until you find Goldilocks.

Oct 12, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #8,072 of 12,461
I just got my VC Stabilized today, the Alluvium's. They're absolutely gorgeous in person. I think people are having trouble doing justice to VC stabilized's because phone cameras will not focus on the wood grain unless you find exactly the right spot. Even without burn-in, they sound magical and so far beyond my previous cans, the Hifiman HE-560. There's just so much texture and depth to the music.
Wow just magnificent, and a little sinister. Am I the only one who is reminded of Viggo the Carpathian?

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #8,073 of 12,461
After hearing some good feedback about WyWires Platinum, I placed my order for a 10ft cable in XLR configuration and have just received the cable yesterday. WyWires shipped out the cable late for almost 1 week and I had to follow up with Alex to learn that there was some production delay... then the cable was shipped with full price declared in Customs document (despite my very clear request for the seller to help "manage" the declared value), resulting in substantial import duty (USD120-ish duty)... Well, all these would be fine IF the cable sounds great with my VC/my setup.

When I connected the cable with my VC/my system... wow, what a massive letdown (at least out of the box)! The sound was nownere near what I can call "good", especially vocal which sounded terrible (dry and lacking dynamism). I wanna hear from you, when you bought yours, was it the same initially? I hope this will improve, else, it'd be my most regret audio purchase!

FYI, I'm familiar with "quality" after market cables and I own many good cables namely Dana Lazuli Reference for my Utopia (this breathed new life into my Utopia) / Moon's Silver Dragon / Lavri Grand / Cardas Clear / Meze's own Silver Plated Cable, and all good cables sounded "right" out of the box (and improved overtime). Unfortunately, with WyWires Platinum, I didn't observe that quality at all. Anyway, I will put 200-ish hours on it before making any final judgement.

Lastly, one very, very annoying thing is the cable is very microphonic. With that rigid Teflon (or whatever material they used), noise can pass through to the headphones, and with closed-back nature of the VC, the microphonic is amplified.

With the VC, my Lavri Grand sounds best, and way/way better than this WyWires Platinum, followed closely by the Silver Dragon (the SD lacks some sparkly and dynamism). Even ZMF' stock cable sounds better than this white Teflon cable.

Will update you how it sounds after the break-in but now, I have nothing but disappointment to say about this cable! Anyone who ever thinking to buy this cable for the VC, please take this into consideration!

Wow that is truely weird! Wywires Platinum straight out of the bag was comparable too, but different sounding the my Graphene Carbon fiber harness. After 20 hours it sounded better and then just kept getting better. Your right that the cable is microphonic. I just don't move around a lot and accept that it is, because in my system it sounds so incredibly good. Alex is very good about accepting returns if it doesn't workout. In my system I absolutely cannot stand the compressed soundstage and dynamics of the standard ofc copper ZMF cable or the lack of midrange harmonics and bloom compared to my silver/gold, Graphene Carbon Fiber or especially the Wyires Platinum.

Well lets hope burn in agrees with your system, got my fingers and toes crossed,

Happy listening
jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #8,074 of 12,461
Wow that is truely weird! Wywires Platinum straight out of the bag was comparable too, but different sounding the my Graphene Carbon fiber harness. After 20 hours it sounded better and then just kept getting better. Your right that the cable is microphonic. I just don't move around a lot and accept that it is, because in my system it sounds so incredibly good. Alex is very good about accepting returns if it doesn't workout. In my system I absolutely cannot stand the compressed soundstage and dynamics of the standard ofc copper ZMF cable or the lack of midrange harmonics and bloom compared to my silver/gold, Graphene Carbon Fiber or especially the Wyires Platinum.

Well lets hope burn in agrees with your system, got my fingers and toes crossed,

Happy listening
jgwtriode
Yes it's weird. I also did some research before purchasing and found that the cable generally got favorable reception. Dunno why it sounds so bad with the VC now.

FYI, I like it more with my Empyrean. Will put music through it more and let you know after several hours pass.

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #8,075 of 12,461
I was looking for a closed back headphone to block out my son constant chatter while gaming and other sounds.
Something as resolving as the HD800 so I looked into the 820 and Z1R and after reading the threads I thought they do not sound what I am after, to many downsides.
After reading all the positive thoughts and great YouTube videos ON the VC I took the plunge on a secondhand Ironwood Vérité.

Oh wow I am so glad i did this thing is crazy good to my ears, it pairs like a glove with the X26 Pro and V281.
Such a deep sound stage and great width that does not feel like a downgrade from the 800.

I would always try my other headphones from time to time and right away say "oh no that does not come close to the 800" but now I have a new top S class.
Thanks to everyone that spoke about the Vérité C and to all the people that made the video reviews.

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #8,076 of 12,461
Best looking pair of Olive I have seen, hands down! I really like the short and sweet description too! ". . .sound like open backs, but hit like closed backs" is a perfect way to put it.
MY VC Olives look better! Just kidding. I have three ZMF's: Auteur, VC, and a modded Fostex planar (blackwood) from way back when.
Auteur I like the best. VC's I'm still trying to tune/get used to. Pad rolling first.

Finally, you simply can't beat Zach/Bevin style.

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #8,077 of 12,461
I was looking for a closed back headphone to block out my son constant chatter while gaming and other sounds.
Something as resolving as the HD800 so I looked into the 820 and Z1R and after reading the threads I thought they do not sound what I am after, to many downsides.
After reading all the positive thoughts and great YouTube videos ON the VC I took the plunge on a secondhand Ironwood Vérité.

Oh wow I am so glad i did this thing is crazy good to my ears, it pairs like a glove with the X26 Pro and V281.
Such a deep sound stage and great width that does not feel like a downgrade from the 800.

I would always try my other headphones from time to time and right away say "oh no that does not come close to the 800" but now I have a new top S class.
Thanks to everyone that spoke about the Vérité C and to all the people that made the video reviews.
You think _sons_ are annoying...

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #8,078 of 12,461
Ahh I didn't know that they're EQ devices. Thanks!

Thanks for your sensible advice. Now, I'm still working from home, and can pretty much leave it 24/7 until it reaches 200-300 hour mark. I will see you guys again after that period to consult if the sound isn't to my liking.
I'm on hour 75 on VCs. Please send patience my way.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #8,080 of 12,461
I'm on hour 75 on VCs. Please send patience my way.
Sorry mate, I have none left!

BTW, TBH I don’t feel that the headphones sound that much different from after the first 100 hour till after 350-ish hour mark.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #8,081 of 12,461
Sorry mate, I have none left!

BTW, TBH I don’t feel that the headphones sound that much different from after the first 100 hour till after 350-ish hour mark.
Ya, so does one sit and look at cans burning in for 2 weeks? Or, and I'm guessing you know where I'm going, one listens straight away and gets used to them after awhile. Classic discussion.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #8,082 of 12,461
MY VC Olives look better! Just kidding. I have three ZMF's: Auteur, VC, and a modded Fostex planar (blackwood) from way back when.
Auteur I like the best. VC's I'm still trying to tune/get used to. Pad rolling first.

Finally, you simply can't beat Zach/Bevin style.
Your Olives looks ridiculously gorgeous. I really love the Auteurs, especially in Blackwood, but the VC's in Leopardwood clobber them except maybe in warmth and richness which is very addictive but I am convinced is a bit euphonic. I acctually backed my Blackwoods off just a bit by using some metalic rubber damping, Damplifier Pro, which helped minimize upper mid to high frequency hardness I heard in the Auteurs. Albeit slight, it was still a bit annoying. So I got a better upper bass integration, smoother more tonally correct upper mids to highs, slightly more neutral mids and a hint more detail overall. But the burned in VC is more accurate through the mids and the harmonic structure of instruments is noticeably more correct. Acoustic Guitars and single vocalist performances, male and female both are just more realistic. So even with the stuff that I felt really showed off the Auteurs, the VC is better. Once I started to get this sense after about 100 hours I switched from the Hybrid Auteur pads to the lambskin and all that got even better, but I had to change some of system issues that I think the Hybrids were covering up a bit.

Anyhow happy listening.

jgwtriode

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #8,083 of 12,461
When I connected the cable with my VC/my system... wow, what a massive letdown (at least out of the box)! The sound was nownere near what I can call "good", especially vocal which sounded terrible (dry and lacking dynamism). I wanna hear from you, when you bought yours, was it the same initially? I hope this will improve, else, it'd be my most regret audio purchase!
Unfortunately I have the same impression. It sounds worse than my Atticus and feels like 1 or 2 class below HD800. VC sounds veiled and sluggish.
Note, I bought Atticus second hand, so its been burnt in by the time I had it.
Hopefully with 200 hours burn in, VC will sound better.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #8,084 of 12,461
Unfortunately I have the same impression. It sounds worse than my Atticus and feels like 1 or 2 class below HD800. VC sounds veiled and sluggish.
Note, I bought Atticus second hand, so its been burnt in by the time I had it.
Hopefully with 200 hours burn in, VC will sound better.
Hmm... The VC driver should definitely not sound sluggish compared to the Atticus (or at least from what I recall from both the VO and Atticus). I will say, ZMF cans definitely experience the most burn-in effects compared to other cans I've had.

Would be interesting to see if this changes over time and suddenly "clicks" with you like I've read from others in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back