ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 21, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #7,307 of 12,429
Thanks a lot for your precious advises, what about the cable ?
Won't alter the sound significantly IMHO. *ducks* 😊. Not enough to transform the headphones for you, I believe.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #7,308 of 12,429
I have tried recently the VC, coming from a Kennerton GH50, It was very hard to get use to :
Less dynamic and separation, trebles do not sparkle as much as the Kennerton, less fun.
What can I do to appreciate more this VC which cost me 2,5 times more than the Gallahorn ?
Pads used : Auteur + Verité
Source : DAP Shanling M8
Cable : OFC cable supplied with the set
Music listened : Pop, Rock, Jazz and Funk
Volume : moderate not top high
Signature like: V shaped, detailed, sparkling treble but no hisse, deep bass tight, great separation.

Yeah I'm thinking Focal Radiance or an LCD XC

Edit: the VC works better with a desktop setup, tubes maybe, than with DAPs. But even with proper amplification it sounds like OP is looking for a more forward sound sig than the VC.
I wouldnt recommend the VC for someone whose sole source (and amp) is a DAP. Sure it can sound good from more modest setups, but the "WOW" factor kicks in on a good desktop setup.

I also agree that the cable shouldnt be at the very top of your priorities at the moment. Tackle the amp first and go from there. Cables can add certain qualities to a setup that you have pretty much settled upon, but its very doubtful that a cable can have the impact on your listening experience the way that a good amp and DAC can.

EDIT: I should add that im a firm believer in cables. From RCA to USB to power cables and conditioners to HP cables. I have them all and have invested more $ into them than I care to admit. Heck, I even have a dedicated 20amp AC outlet for my audio gear. That helps a lot too.
They do make a difference, but not to the same level that a good amp and DAC can.... IMHO.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #7,310 of 12,429
Is an Asgard 3 a good pairing for a VC? Hoping to get one in November but a tube amp isn't feasible for my current situation.
I m not sure about Asgard 3, but i know for a fact that a Liquid platinum tube hybrid sounds phenomenal with ZMF cans. You can snag one real cheap for around $300-$400 easily.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #7,311 of 12,429
I have tried recently the VC, coming from a Kennerton GH50, It was very hard to get use to :
Less dynamic and separation, trebles do not sparkle as much as the Kennerton, less fun.
What can I do to appreciate more this VC which cost me 2,5 times more than the Gallahorn ?
Pads used : Auteur + Verité
Source : DAP Shanling M8
Cable : OFC cable supplied with the set
Music listened : Pop, Rock, Jazz and Funk
Volume : moderate not top high
Signature like: V shaped, detailed, sparkling treble but no hisse, deep bass tight, great separation.
Do you have any other pad to try out? Verité pad for sure wasn't getting a good feedback based on the user here, I do not have them nor have heard them so YMMV. I am using universal hybrid (lambskin + suede), IMO they do change the sound to be more forward, better 'attack' on treble region. Before that I was using auteur hybrid (lambskin + suede) which the overall presentation are a bit more laid back and more relaxing to listen to. I have one auteur lambskin too but didn't really prefer the sound coming from that pad.

Try changing some pad and you may find some pleasant result that may suit your listening preference! I was not expecting the sound to alter SO MUCH just by changing to a different pad!

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #7,313 of 12,429
Is there a vetted frequency response graph available for the VC?

In addition to seeing the data, I like to test bass roll off in my systems by ear. A quick test i do is run this Youtube video, and have it count down from around 50hz and I listen for the perceived output volume to drop off rapidly.

On the VC with Autuer Lambskin Solid pads, using a Schiit Vali 2 amp, it seems to roll off around 32hz for me but I do hear some output down to 16hz, which is around the typical limit of human hearing. Wondering what you guys are hearing on your amps?

That frequency sweep by itself may not be giving you an accurate impression of the frequency response of the VC. Forgive me if you are already aware of this, and merely were wondering what people heard on this sweep. The VC has been measured by a number of reputable reviewers, and performs very well in the low frequencies. Although most of those measurements were probably with lower cost test equipment (like MiniDSP EARS), assuming good pad seals, they should be reasonably accurate (for your purposes) in the lower frequencies. I’ll provide some links below (be aware of compensation to target curves). My guess is that any roll-off in the sub-bass is likely a tuning decision on Zach’s part that emphasizes the bass and lower midrange — part of that ZMF warm-neutral tonality — rather than an indication of a driver limitation. @zach915m provided an explanation and measurements of the VC tuning in this thread here.

For that frequency sweep to give you an accurate impression of the VC’s response, it would need to be calibrated to a reference playback level and equal-loudness curve. A flat sweep will sound dramatically rolled off in the bass. This link provides a concise overview.

These links (explanation and results) provide EQ curves based on reliable reviews. You can separately search for the original reviews to put them in context and see their frequency response measurements.

I’ve found the following reviews useful in characterizing the sound of the VCs. The first provides basic EQ recommendations and the second includes extensive measurements.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,314 of 12,429
Regarding amps/DACs, would the Jotunheim 2 adequately power the VC, and would the warm signature of the Jot 2 be a good pairing. Ill be running it with the Bifrost 2. I eventually plan to to get the Pendant to pair with the Bifrost 2, but that would be a little later on.

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #7,315 of 12,429
Regarding amps/DACs, would the Jotunheim 2 adequately power the VC, and would the warm signature of the Jot 2 be a good pairing. Ill be running it with the Bifrost 2. I eventually plan to to get the Pendant to pair with the Bifrost 2, but that would be a little later on.
Power wise the Jot2 will have no problems powering the VC. It's up to you weather the synergy of the 2 are up to snuff obviously. I had a Jot2 on loan and really enjoyed it with the VO, I can't imagine the VC would be a stark difference. It could be too much of a good thing with a "slammy" amp & "slammy" headphones, so taste will definitely play a part here. FWIW my DAC is a Bifrost 2 as well.

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #7,316 of 12,429
I was doing some pad rolling and scratched my cup every so slightly by accident :frowning2: Any suggestions? @zach915m

20210822_135842.jpg

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #7,317 of 12,429
The Pendant does everything I need it to be with some tube swaps, whether you want it to sound neutral or warm. Paired with the Bifrost 2, I don’t think I’ll be looking at any SS or other amps for a while.

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #7,318 of 12,429
I was doing some pad rolling and scratched my cup every so slightly by accident :frowning2: Any suggestions? @zach915m

20210822_135842.jpg
Those are osmo finish cups that are easily repairable!

1. Get some 3m Trizact paper and buff out as much as you can the scratch with 1000 and up to 3000 grit Trizact paper.

2. Grab some osmo finish (any type) and wipe on a thin layer and wipe off to blend the finish in just in that spot. Wait 12 hrs between coats.

3. Use osmo wax protector/buffer or your favorite micro crystalline varnish over it and buff a touch with a lint free cloth to protect.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 22, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #7,319 of 12,429
Those are osmo finish cups that are easily repairable!

1. Get some 3m Trizact paper and buff out as much as you can the scratch with 1000 and up to 3000 grit Trizact paper.

2. Grab some osmo finish (any type) and wipe on a thin layer and wipe off to blend the finish in just in that spot. Wait 12 hrs between coats.

3. Use osmo wax protector/buffer or your favorite micro crystalline varnish over it and buff a touch with a lint free cloth to protect.

Awesome. Thanks!

Is there a video guide by any chance? When it comes to DIY - I can proudly say that I suck at it, haha :)

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #7,320 of 12,429

20210822_135842.jpg
This is why I settled on a pair of pads I liked and never looked back.

3hdgz8s.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back