ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Aug 13, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #7,201 of 12,429
That video is really helpful. One thing that I've always found strange is that I have a reasonably large head, either 7 1/2" or 7 5/8" in fitted hat size, but my ZMF headphones always seem to require the lowest rod setting. Anything higher and the cups would start to go below my ears. Is this something others have run into? I'm wondering if I tried giving the headband a certain adjustment if it would allow for a higher placement on the rods.
I found that if I am wearing a cap that they tend to need adjustment of course, but the biggest thing for me, as I have a large noggin too, that the rods were to close to the gimbals. I bought the suede strap...this gave me the additional length I was looking for and made the headband even more comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #7,202 of 12,429
It's too early to compare, as I want to break in the VCs for at least 200 hours first.

But, right off the bat I noticed that the VCs have a wider and more 3D soundstage, convey a greater sense of "being there", i.e., at a live concert.
The Stellia seem a bit more detailed, perhaps analytical, but again, with only about 4 hours on the VCs, it's a not fair comparison. I am not a great reviewer and cannot describe what I'm hearing like many people here, so take my comments as such!

The VC's L/R channel balance seems perfect; whereas the Stellia's are off by 0.5dB. I am returning them to Focal for a repair or replacement -- that was disappointing with the Stellia, as was their squeaky/noisy headband; but they are fixing that too.
Thanks! That’s exactly the kind of impressions I was expecting. Not a full blown review, especially since you just got your VC. I do find those early impressions very insightful. The brain hasn’t adapted yet to the new headphone and differences with the previous one could be quite obvious. I concur with the 3D soundstage. One of the VC’s strength It doesn’t feel like a closed back HP.

I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with the Stellia. Unacceptable at this price IMO.
…And I wish my ears could still pick up a 0.5db difference! unfortunately my right ear is not in top shape, but with some eq’ing it’s ok.

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #7,203 of 12,429
Hi there! I`m looking for a VC on the used market and found an offer for the desert Ironwood edition. From what I read this particular version is ~120g heavier than the stock wood (currently Sapele). This sounds like a significant difference to me but I have no comparison and never had the chance to test ZMF headphones so far. Would you suggest to skip the Ironwood offer and look for a lighter version or do you think the 620g heavy Ironwoods are still convenient to use? Thanks!

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #7,204 of 12,429
Back in the day when I first received the vc the sound wasn’t for me. I spoke to Zach and he recommended be2 pads. I was skeptical on how much a pad could really help the sound so I held off for a long time. A few weeks ago I decided to get be2 suede pads and I couldn’t believe how much the sound changed for me. I’d say it is true that it seems like you can really change the sound to your liking. I’m glad I bought them and I’d gladly do business with Zmf in the future.

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #7,205 of 12,429
That video is really helpful. One thing that I've always found strange is that I have a reasonably large head, either 7 1/2" or 7 5/8" in fitted hat size, but my ZMF headphones always seem to require the lowest rod setting. Anything higher and the cups would start to go below my ears. Is this something others have run into? I'm wondering if I tried giving the headband a certain adjustment if it would allow for a higher placement on the rods.
I’m the same I have a similar hat size and I prefer the lowest setting and that bending video is great so I would suggest it the headband is really durable so you can always reset to a good starting position but like he mentions put the earcup rods all the way in when adjusting the headband so you don’t bend the rods those are the parts you need to be careful of (with the rods all the way in this is easy to keep the rods safe). I still use the same position on the rods but you can basically dial in the clamp force to what you like and the process was definitely worthwhile for me. It’s actually one thing I love about these is the headband is really comfortable and the fact that you can bend the headband to suit you really helps with this some headphones you are kind of stuck with the clamp force and how they sit so to me being able to bend the headband is a big benefit.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #7,206 of 12,429
Hi there! I`m looking for a VC on the used market and found an offer for the desert Ironwood edition. From what I read this particular version is ~120g heavier than the stock wood (currently Sapele). This sounds like a significant difference to me but I have no comparison and never had the chance to test ZMF headphones so far. Would you suggest to skip the Ironwood offer and look for a lighter version or do you think the 620g heavy Ironwoods are still convenient to use? Thanks!
Whether you are ok with a heavier headphone or not is completely up to you - some people don't mind a little extra weight, others can't stand it. I personally find my desert ironwood VO quite comfortable, though I will grant that it is on the heavier side of comfortable. YMMV.

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #7,207 of 12,429
If you like the auteur pads, then I'd strongly suggest the auteur hybrid pads. These are my go to pads for both the auteur and the vc
Yes I prefer the auteur hybrid much more than the auteur lambskin, they sounded quite different on my leopardwood VC.
Thanks. I actually find the difference in sound between the hybrid and lambskin pads to be very subtle. I've always preferred the lambskin, but it's close.
On my leopardwood VC, the auteur lambskin is giving too much bass that I almost didnt use them, and I usually rotate between the auteur hybrid and universal hybrid.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #7,208 of 12,429
Yes I prefer the auteur hybrid much more than the auteur lambskin, they sounded quite different on my leopardwood VC.

On my leopardwood VC, the auteur lambskin is giving too much bass that I almost didnt use them, and I usually rotate between the auteur hybrid and universal hybrid.

It's really cool how easy it is for listeners to tailor the headphones to their preferences... I think it's one of the things that makes ZMF headphones so easy to recommend.

For the VC, I rotate the Auteur and Universe lambskin, with the Auteur getting maybe 80% of my listening time. Every now and then I'll get the urge to switch to the Universe and I'll end up sticking with those for 1-2 weeks, sometimes more... Once I go back to Auteur pads they tend to stay on for a few months.

Aug 14, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #7,209 of 12,429
My ironwood VC are the heaviest ZMF I own, and my camphor burl Eikon with mag chassis the lightest. On my head I honestly don't notice a difference in weight or comfort. If you like the way the ironwood set looks, go for it, imo.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #7,210 of 12,429
I have a 600g cocobolo Aeolus with suede headstrap and I can wear it for hours never had a problem with the weight. I prefer the sonics of the harder woods also.

Aug 14, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #7,211 of 12,429
Haha now we are piqued to look at the best looking pair!

It is just a nice feeling that each pairs are unique to its own and it feels exclusive to own any of the zmf headphones!
Here’s the pic, I love the lines on my cups were almost matching-parallels, but it’s heartbreaking what’s happened to them. They’ve taken a hit, I came from work two nights ago and had found the right cup with some pretty nasty scratches. I don’t want to assume who and what caused it, but Does anyone know if there is a way to make it less noticeable?

Attachments

• 91AC51A2-6255-4273-93B3-EE731770BCAD.jpeg
    91AC51A2-6255-4273-93B3-EE731770BCAD.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #7,212 of 12,429
Here’s the I loved that the lines on my cups were almost matching but it’s heartbreaking, they’ve taken a hit, I came from work two nights ago and had found the right cup with some pretty nasty scratches. I don’t want to assume who and what caused it, but Does anyone know if there is a way to make it less noticeable?
If I were you’d I’d email ZMF and see what they would recommend. My guess is that they would be able to repair the finish if you’re willing to send it back to them... though I’m sure it would be hard to part with them for a couple of weeks!

Aug 14, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #7,213 of 12,429
Here’s the pic, I love the lines on my cups were almost matching-parallels, but it’s heartbreaking what’s happened to them. They’ve taken a hit, I came from work two nights ago and had found the right cup with some pretty nasty scratches. I don’t want to assume who and what caused it, but Does anyone know if there is a way to make it less noticeable?

We use a buffed hard wax on the surface of the olive sets after they are finished. So it's possible that the hard wax finish got scratched and you might be able to buff it out and get a new thin coat on there. Send me an email and I can walk you through it, but yeah we could also check it out too.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #7,214 of 12,429
Got my hand on Gel3n amp today to pair up with the leopardwood VC. Didn't get to try out Gotl for some reason, but was happy enough with Gel3n on the VC, such a musical pair!

LpUpXue.jpg

Aug 14, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #7,215 of 12,429
Got my hand on Gel3n amp today to pair up with the leopardwood VC. Didn't get to try out Gotl for some reason, but was happy enough with Gel3n on the VC, such a musical pair!

LpUpXue.jpg
Welcome to the ZMF Glenn club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back