ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 18, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #6,961 of 12,429
With the Pendant I ended up with Amperex EL84's (d-getters, 50's mfg.), Mullard EZ81 (square getter, 50's) and a rotation of NOS Telefunken, Siemens, Mullard and RCA for the 12AU7. With the Starlett, I'm using a fat base Mullard GZ34, RCA clear top 6CG7 and Westinghouse/GE ouput tubes.

I just wanted to add this info for context to my posts about those amps and how they match up with the VC, which is easily my favorite headphone. Both amps match up really well. It's incredible how Zach took a great open headphone and somehow managed to improve on it, while also offering the additional isolation of a closed back. Truly fantastic.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, and great power and rectifier tubes in the Pendant too.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,962 of 12,429
Hybrid Universe are the only choice for the VC :wink:

giphy.gif

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,963 of 12,429
I don’t think there is hype about them, although I wouldn’t listen to his advice about a $25 purchase let alone $2500. I only use suede pads and the Eikon ones are the worst with the VC, and my favorites on Eikon (go figure, it’s almost as if the creator knows which of his own pads go best with each model of headphones 😉). Universe and BE-2 suedes are both excellent.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #6,964 of 12,429
No hype as far as I know, unless you still watch Zeos.. :) I don't think many owners on this forum have the suede pads on. Mostly auteur, universe, lambskin and/or the hybrid versions. Stock is auteur, unless you ordered something different.
Universe suede are by far my favorite pads for my VC. Best and most natural sound and most comfortable.

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #6,965 of 12,429
Universe suede are by far my favorite pads for my VC. Best and most natural sound and most comfortable.
I know I said I was gonna wait until next week to switch pads/tubes, but I was very tempted by the Universe Suedes which I’m enjoying more than the Auteur pads Surprisingly.

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #6,966 of 12,429
I would describe the sound of the ZMFs as 'great'. Haha. I am pleased. I decided to buy the VCs mostly because I really like ZMF (the company) and wanted to support them. Once these arrived in the mail, I was very happy to learn that the headphones also happen to sound fantastic. :laughing:

For the past 6 months or so, I've been listening on a set of RAD-0. They are an open-back planar and sound pretty nice to me. I listen mostly on the Chord TT2 and the headpones.com/ampsandsound Forge tube amp (32/300 ohm version). When listening on the Forge, the TT2 serves as a pre-amp.

I'll come back to the RAD-0 in a few weeks when the ZMF honeymoon is done, but my initial preference between the two is the ZMF VC. The closed back, the larger sound, the Princess Leia silhouette, and the significantly more comfortable headband/weight are the biggest things I'm noticing right now. The RAD-0 is the most uncomfortable thing I've worn on my head and I had headgear as a child. 🤣

Both the RAD-0 and ZMF are more enjoyable on the Forge amp, but the ZMF shines especially bright on the tubes. I've yet to listen to more than a few songs directly out of the TT2 with the ZMF because it just feels like a waste of time with the tubes sitting there. The difference is more subtle on the RAD-0. Here are some words to help describe the difference, but if you're curious I would just buy the Forge from headhones.com and use their return policy if you don't like it: 'large', 'wide', 'reverberant', 'slightly noisy, but in a good way that you will like'

Ha! I never noticed that, but you're right. I picked this design because I liked something a bit more subtle... and figured I'd have a better chance actually "winning" them in the mad race to purchase.

I have the VC and love them with my bifrost2 and bottlehead crack. I decided to upgrade my system once i heard my VC paired with a prima luna Evo 400. That was the beat sound i ever heard out of a headphone. I just bought a TT2 and now i am shopping for tube amp. Thinking about either the forge, pendant se or prima luna evo 100. How did you end up choosing the forge. Anyone have a recommendation?

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #6,967 of 12,429
The Norne Audio Vykari make a strong pairing with the Verite Closed. A pairing of flagships!

IMG_1443.jpg

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #6,968 of 12,429
Universe and BE-2 suedes are both excellent.

I know I said I was gonna wait until next week to switch pads/tubes, but I was very tempted by the Universe Suedes which I’m enjoying more than the Auteur pads Surprisingly.
This makes me want to try those plus the BE2 and Verite leather. Hopefully helps out the 3k dip and sound more natural.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #6,969 of 12,429
This makes me want to try those plus the BE2 and Verite leather. Hopefully helps out the 3k dip and sound more natural.
I have the BE2 pads and I like them, but they are a little too tight on my ears so it impacts comfort.

The Verite leather are great, too. Best bass response of all my pads. The Universe Suede just hits the sweet spot for me in terms of comfort and delivering the ZMF house sound highlighting the features that make it unique and a pleasure to my ear.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #6,971 of 12,429
@erpguru The default pads on the VC are the solid Auteur Lambskin. You would have to specifically ask to have Universe pads installed on them directly from ZMF. My alternate pads, which happened to be Universe Lambskin, came in their own box with a card designating what they were. There was nothing on the pads themselves.

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #6,972 of 12,429
I have the BE2 pads and I like them, but they are a little too tight on my ears so it impacts comfort.

The Verite leather are great, too. Best bass response of all my pads. The Universe Suede just hits the sweet spot for me in terms of comfort and delivering the ZMF house sound highlighting the features that make it unique and a pleasure to my ear.
Pretty much where I stand with the Universe suedes, maybe I’ll try the Verite Leather if I’m ever in need of more bass.

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #6,973 of 12,429
Thinking about either the forge, pendant se or prima luna evo 100. How did you end up choosing the forge.

I compared the Forge to a PrimaLuna 400 integrated and preferred the sound of the Forge. The PrimaLuna sounded great, but was too similar in sound to the TT2. I wanted something more colored and the ampsandsound stuff did that for me. The reason I went with the Forge over the other ampsandsound amps was because the outputs (32/300) matched my headphones, it came with KT88s, and I liked that it was designed in collaboration with headphones.com (free overnight shipping and 365-day return policy).

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #6,974 of 12,429
I compared the Forge to a PrimaLuna 400 integrated and preferred the sound of the Forge. The PrimaLuna sounded great, but was too similar in sound to the TT2. I wanted something more colored and the ampsandsound stuff did that for me. The reason I went with the Forge over the other ampsandsound amps was because the outputs (32/300) matched my headphones, it came with KT88s, and I liked that it was designed in collaboration with headphones.com (free overnight shipping and 365-day return policy).
I agree with everything listed here, but should note that the free 365-day return policy doesn't apply to the Forge because it is listed as Final Sale.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,975 of 12,429
For a good 3D open soundstage and bass, which pads have you all found to be most preferable? I'm currently with the LTD Olive, so it's a harder wood. So far, I think I like the Auteur solid over the hybrid. Curious about the Universe and BE-2 ones though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back