ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #6,901 of 12,429
The wood is from a maple tree and was part of the ZMF 5/14 "stabilized" release. The colors come from the stabilization process (liquid resin dye).
I really liked this set and was actually considering vying for it on 5/14 as well actually! I noticed something funny about the photos on the webpage for this set: the two photos focusing on a single cup are actually of the same cup - they are mirrored versions of one another.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #6,902 of 12,429
They're absolutely gorgeous! What do you think of the sound?
Any thoughts on the Verite paired with the A&S Forge?

I would describe the sound of the ZMFs as 'great'. Haha. I am pleased. I decided to buy the VCs mostly because I really like ZMF (the company) and wanted to support them. Once these arrived in the mail, I was very happy to learn that the headphones also happen to sound fantastic. :laughing:

For the past 6 months or so, I've been listening on a set of RAD-0. They are an open-back planar and sound pretty nice to me. I listen mostly on the Chord TT2 and the headpones.com/ampsandsound Forge tube amp (32/300 ohm version). When listening on the Forge, the TT2 serves as a pre-amp.

I'll come back to the RAD-0 in a few weeks when the ZMF honeymoon is done, but my initial preference between the two is the ZMF VC. The closed back, the larger sound, the Princess Leia silhouette, and the significantly more comfortable headband/weight are the biggest things I'm noticing right now. The RAD-0 is the most uncomfortable thing I've worn on my head and I had headgear as a child. 🤣

Both the RAD-0 and ZMF are more enjoyable on the Forge amp, but the ZMF shines especially bright on the tubes. I've yet to listen to more than a few songs directly out of the TT2 with the ZMF because it just feels like a waste of time with the tubes sitting there. The difference is more subtle on the RAD-0. Here are some words to help describe the difference, but if you're curious I would just buy the Forge from headhones.com and use their return policy if you don't like it: 'large', 'wide', 'reverberant', 'slightly noisy, but in a good way that you will like'

I noticed something funny about the photos on the webpage for this set: the two photos focusing on a single cup are actually of the same cup - they are mirrored versions of one another.

Ha! I never noticed that, but you're right. I picked this design because I liked something a bit more subtle... and figured I'd have a better chance actually "winning" them in the mad race to purchase.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #6,903 of 12,429
Question for everyone, when your ZMF is shipped, do you need to sign for the package or do they just leave the package at your doorstep? I’ve always previously requested that they deliver my ZMF’s at a Walgreens since it’s next to where I work and I could just pick them up without worrying about missing the delivery. However I believe the reason as to why I always receive my Packages late may be because I choose to have them delivered there. This time around they are being Shipped Overnight.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #6,904 of 12,429
Question for everyone, when your ZMF is shipped, do you need to sign for the package or do they just leave the package at your doorstep? I’ve always previously requested that they deliver my ZMF’s at a Walgreens since it’s next to where I work and I could just pick them up without worrying about missing the delivery. However I believe the reason as to why I always receive my Packages late may be because I choose to have them delivered there. This time around they are being Shipped Overnight.
My shipments have always been signature required on headphones from ZMF. I usually pick up at my local fedex office.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #6,905 of 12,429
My shipments have always been signature required on headphones from ZMF. I usually pick up at my local fedex office.
Same here.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #6,906 of 12,429
Fedex should not leave the package, because of the value and signature option used by ZMF. With Fedex, if you change the destination in transit there is often a one day delay, as the Fedex system has to readjust to the new delivery spot. However, if you make the change soon enough, there is usually no added wait time. Also, there is always a chance of the driver not following the rules, and they might leave it on the doorstep, and that's why I always just have my ZMF stuff delivered to a Fedex Store near my house. That way I can pick it up whenever I want, I don't have to worry about being there to sign for it, and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen or rained on if left on my front porch.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #6,907 of 12,429
When I looked at the 2nd picture down, I was thinking...these are stabilized wood...those patterns are killer :)
I picked that out from owning a set of stabilized.

What a wonderful looking set you have....I think these would look great with the aged copper rods too!
Enjoy those puppies and enjoy the music...these are wonderful sounding closed backs....ZMF nailed the signature.

I am listening to mine right now with tubes....the sound has great weight to the music, the notes leading edges are rounded and not to sharp, yet there is much detail
and without any harshness. Great mids ...instruments flying around my head and a very nice stage for a close back headphone. In my mind I feel that the harder wood contributes to the speed and impact of the sound...but I am pretty sure that is really not much the case as Zach says to just pick the wood you like.

Mine sound great with tubes and SS, but I also prefer the tube sound with them.
Listening to some blues/rock as I type , using this combo.

DSC05791.jpg

DSC05908.JPG

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #6,908 of 12,429
When I looked at the 2nd picture down, I was thinking...these are stabilized wood...those patterns are killer :)
I picked that out from owning a set of stabilized.

What a wonderful looking set you have....I think these would look great with the aged copper rods too!
Enjoy those puppies and enjoy the music...these are wonderful sounding closed backs....ZMF nailed the signature.

I am listening to mine right now with tubes....the sound has great weight to the music, the notes leading edges are rounded and not to sharp, yet there is much detail
and without any harshness. Great mids ...instruments flying around my head and a very nice stage for a close back headphone. In my mind I feel that the harder wood contributes to the speed and impact of the sound...but I am pretty sure that is really not much the case as Zach says to just pick the wood you like.

Mine sound great with tubes and SS, but I also prefer the tube sound with them.
Listening to some blues/rock as I type , using this combo.

Bro, those are some serious tubes you got in that amp, and I can only imagine how good they sound with the VC! Also, your description of the sound is spot on with what I am hearing with my Ambrosia Maple VC (softer wood).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #6,909 of 12,429
I would describe the sound of the ZMFs as 'great'. Haha. I am pleased. I decided to buy the VCs mostly because I really like ZMF (the company) and wanted to support them. Once these arrived in the mail, I was very happy to learn that the headphones also happen to sound fantastic. :laughing:

That's great to hear. Congratulations and welcome to the family of (very happy) ZMF owners. I also really like ZMF and also wanted to support the company. So much so that I ordered them without ever hearing them, which is something I've rarely done in audio at this price point. Like you, I was also quite happy that they sounded fantastic and in fact they exceeded my expectations (which almost never happens for me in high end audio). To my ears, they're noticeably better than my HiFiMAN HE-1000, and I don't think it's just the "new toy" phenomenon.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #6,910 of 12,429
That's great to hear. Congratulations and welcome to the family of (very happy) ZMF owners. I also really like ZMF and also wanted to support the company. So much so that I ordered them without ever hearing them, which is something I've rarely done in audio at this price point. Like you, I was also quite happy that they sounded fantastic and in fact they exceeded my expectations (which almost never happens for me in high end audio). To my ears, they're noticeably better than my HiFiMAN HE-1000, and I don't think it's just the "new toy" phenomenon.
Can I ask what pads and gear you are using with your VC?

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #6,911 of 12,429
Can I ask what pads and gear you are using with your VC?
Source: Either the USB output of my Lenovo computer or a Project CD Box S player. The CD player has an upgraded power supply.
DAC: Arcam irDAC with a recently upgraded power supply.
Equalizer: Parasound R/EQ 150, which is almost always on bypass (i.e. not used); I had it modified/upgraded to emulate a hard wire connection when in bypass mode.
Amplifier: The venerable MicroZOTL 2. It took me 5+ years to decide to upgrade to their linear power supply, because it already sounded great with the original power supply.
Headphone cable: ZMF 2K Copper, 10 feet.
Pads: ZMF Auteur solid. I did a bunch of reading about the pads and also bought the Universe, Verite, and Auteur hybrid pads. But, (embarrassingly), I haven't bothered to try any of the others because the Auteur solids already sounded so great.*

I think I may have started to change them once but that didn't last very long at all; I don't even remember if I listened with the other pads or even remember which ones they were.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #6,913 of 12,429
My VC Olive are now on the Sanding stage!! It’s prob still gonna take a long time, but it’s nice getting these updates from ZMF!

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #6,914 of 12,429
I've been counting the days that my household goods arrive to Virginia from Bahrain. After 51 days of being without my VCs, I can finally settle in being stateside! That Seahorse case is clutch, everything came out pristine.

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #6,915 of 12,429
I know previously a few posters were selling their stabilized VCs. I did several searches, and I can't find those posts :deadhorse:

If any of you who were selling them before, and you still haven't sold them, please message me. Thanks :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back