ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jul 7, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #6,752 of 12,391
Is there a consensus on the best pads for VC?
Stock Auteur Solid Leather seems to be a crowd favorite and it's mine too.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6,753 of 12,391
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a monkey pod vc. I currently own a rebel amp hooked up to a hugo2. What easily obtainable amps/dacs that don’t cost a fortune go well with the vc. I’ve been considering other the vc or stellia for almost a year!
I own the MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio. It sounds fantastic with my desert ironwood VC. After about 5 years I finally upgraded the power supply from the switching power supply to the linear power supply, but felt no need to do so; I haven't done any A-B comparisons but I think it's probably better.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #6,754 of 12,391
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a monkey pod vc. I currently own a rebel amp hooked up to a hugo2. What easily obtainable amps/dacs that don’t cost a fortune go well with the vc. I’ve been considering other the vc or stellia for almost a year!
I love the Tor Audio Balanced with the VCs. Now truthfully, it's not in the easily obtainable category (wait times ~3 months) but it is sub-$1K for a transformer coupled tube amp.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,755 of 12,391
I own the MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio. It sounds fantastic with my desert ironwood VC. After about 5 years I finally upgraded the power supply from the switching power supply to the linear power supply, but felt no need to do so; I haven't done any A-B comparisons but I think it's probably better.
Just to share an experience, I havent heard the LTA MZ2 ($1300) but I did have a chance to A/B the LTA MZ3 ($3700) and LTA Z10 Integrated ($4900) on a ZMF Atticus, and the difference was night and day more involving, detailed, and speedy on the Z10. This isnt a criticism of the MZ2 or MZ3, but more an endorsement of the LTA brand and also how nice the Z10 is, if you want to play in that price range.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #6,756 of 12,391
Just ordered an olive wood verite closed from acorn audio here in the UK. They look stunning in the pictures

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6,757 of 12,391
I’m wondering what they will sound like with my cayin c9. Should have enough power for them

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #6,759 of 12,391
Hugo 2, C9, and VC sounds great. Really lovely pairing.
Hehe I’ve just realised how much gear we have in common. N6ii, c9, th900, v2, hugo2, wp900, mojo….

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #6,760 of 12,391
Hehe I’ve just realised how much gear we have in common. N6ii, c9, th900, v2, hugo2, wp900, mojo….
Ha, true. And I'm a Cannibal Corpse fan! (BTW off topic, I just got the R01 module for the N6ii and can't recommend it enough).

Enjoy the VC and be sure to do some pad swapping to adjust them to your taste. Makes huge difference.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #6,761 of 12,391
I just got them, but I'm a little disappointed that it didn't come with the wood case since it was a LTD Olive wood edition. I'll post pictures once I am able.

xzkx4w.jpg

Looks nice enough, but I do have a question on the headphone jack ports. They look like they are made differently and don't know if that's by design.
ogh8eb.jpg

y4xbbd.jpg

One has a brass ring around it while the other does not. While one is numbered and the other is not. The one with the brass ring has a more polished and shiny housing, the other a more flat and dull finish. Not sure if something like that could affect sound.

The owner's card has a box for QC but it is not checked. But it has Zach's signature I believe, next to designed and tested, so does that mean it definitely did pass inspection?
9zj9mf.jpg

@zach915m

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #6,762 of 12,391
I just got them, but I'm a little disappointed that it didn't come with the wood case since it was a LTD Olive wood edition. I'll post pictures once I am able.
When did you order? I ordered Olive on 5/14 and by then it was more clear on the site only Seahorse cases would be shipped with Olive (my preferred case actually). I havent received an update since 6/1, when they went to machining.
Cant wait to see your pics @Tubewin !

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #6,764 of 12,391

xzkx4w.jpg

Looks nice enough, but I do have a question on the headphone jack ports. They look like they are made differently and don't know if that's by design.
ogh8eb.jpg

y4xbbd.jpg

One has a brass ring around it while the other does not. While one is numbered and the other is not. The one with the brass ring has a more polished and shiny housing, the other a more flat and dull finish. Not sure if something like that could affect sound.

The owner's card has a box for QC but it is not checked. But it has Zach's signature I believe, next to designed and tested, so does that mean it definitely did pass inspection?
9zj9mf.jpg

@zach915m
My VC Ironwood has mismatched headphone jacks as well, though my shiny is on the other side compared to yours haha. I think it's just parts variance and nothing to worry about. I don't hear any difference in sound quality left to right. My Aeolus was the most recent purchase and my QC is unchecked as well, but signed by Zach. I can't find my VC card. I put it somewhere with my other audio stuff and somehow lost it. It's around somewhere, i just can't find it yet unfortunately. Same with the Auteur I got a month or so ago, card is somewhere in my room hiding from me... Nice looking set btw! I love natural olive wood, the coloration and contrast is always a treat to my eyes.

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #6,765 of 12,391
@zach915m
My VC Ironwood has mismatched headphone jacks as well, though my shiny is on the other side compared to yours haha. I think it's just parts variance and nothing to worry about. I don't hear any difference in sound quality left to right. My Aeolus was the most recent purchase and my QC is unchecked as well, but signed by Zach. I can't find my VC card. I put it somewhere with my other audio stuff and somehow lost it. It's around somewhere, i just can't find it yet unfortunately. Same with the Auteur I got a month or so ago, card is somewhere in my room hiding from me... Nice looking set btw! I love natural olive wood, the coloration and contrast is always a treat to my eyes.
Thank you, and thanks for letting me know about your VC's as well. Can you post a picture of your iron wood vc jacks? Does one port have a brass like ring around it and the other does not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back